In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nascar Attendance

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in General Discussion
Is way way down. There is whole sections empty. I think they did it to themselves.[:(]

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't go if it was 50 miles away
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,129 ******
    edited November -1
    ....just isn't fun anymore,,,[:(][:(][V][V]
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    ....just isn't fun anymore,,,[:(][:(][V][V]

The tailgaiting is as fun as it ever has been. I will be going back to Chicagoland next year.....racing and tailgaiting were both a blast. [8D]

Jon
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek

+1----I stopped watching it on TV. Same winners week after week. Too boring.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is no secret that attendance is down, but like I have said before, these places hold WAY more fans then your typical football stadium etc. I know Dover holds over 125,000 people. Michigan used to be sold out and that was over 150,000 people. It can be 1/4 full and still have more people then your average baseball game.

Jon
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,124 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dover seats 61,000 and if you watched it today you saw how many empty seats there were. Michigan use to seat 108,000. After the 2011 season they removed 24,000 seats and they still do not sell out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20
    Dover seats 61,000 and if you watched it today you saw how many empty seats there were. Michigan use to seat 108,000. After the 2011 season they removed 24,000 seats and they still do not sell out.

Sorry, I was wrong. Michigan held 125,000 and yes it used to sell out in the early 2000's. Dover still holds over 100,000 even with their seat downgrades unless they did it again....where are you getting these numbers?

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Google. (Specifically Jayski which is owned by ESPN)
    To add to the embarassment Nascar announced back in February that they will no longer publish attendance of races.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be much better if NASCAR said the best man builds his own car with no restrictions. Keeping the safety inside the car requirments the same.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Me thinks the economy in general and the lack of funds to go to live events due to the cost is the main reason. Most folks are working more hours for the same pay with less time off.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To add to the embarassment Nascar announced back in February that they will no longer publish attendance of races.

That sight shows Dover at 135,000 and 114,000 by next year....

It shows Michigan downgraded to under 100,000.....crazy thinking back to the 5 years I went there!! [:0]

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77

That sight shows Dover at 135,000 and 114,000 by next year....

It shows Michigan downgraded to under 100,000.....crazy thinking back to the 5 years I went there!! [:0]

Jon
    My mistake I looked at Darlington instead of Dover.
    Michigan is down to 84,000 seats.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dover showed announced attendance in 2007 was 137,000. In 2012 it was down to 85,000.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,129 ******
    edited November -1
    ...this a sign,,,[:0][:0][;)]
  • Options
    JeffreyD103JeffreyD103 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Me thinks the economy in general and the lack of funds to go to live events due to the cost is the main reason. ...
    You're right. It costs a small fortune for a few of you to attend one of these races.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To much else to do than to watch exact cars in a fish bowl. I don't believe it has seen bottom yet.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beneteau
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek

+1----I stopped watching it on TV. Same winners week after week. Too boring.

I guess if your driver never wins it does get boring. Sounds like a bunch of Jr. fans.[:D]

In truth out of the 31 races ran this year so far there's been 14 different winners. Not exactly the same winners every week.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,462 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, I've had Bristol season tics for 20 years. I enjoy getting out of cold IN in the spring for a few days and the night race used to be something special. Night races all the time now. Why? TV prime-time income. Attendance is down - why? Economy, fuel prices to travel maybe a few hundred miles, the cars are all the same, no individual team innovation. Take your pick. Tony George did the same thing at Indy years ago. Limited innovation, engines, & chassis. Now instead of families inheriting tickets, the track is advertising them on local radio. Anyone remember Smoky with his 15/16 scale Chevy at Daytona or Mickey with is many unique cars at Indy? It was great while it lasted folks but nothing lasts forever.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.