In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I dont understand the foam on the fuel tank....

ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
okay, so its an insulator.. and pieces of it fall off and cause damage.. why dont they put another coating OVER the foam.. I mean, even a Kevlar mesh would withstand some pretty good temp changes, and would be light and strong..

someone inform me, there must be something I dont know, because it makes too much sense to just put a strong coating over the foam.

Comments

• Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    My guess is that the answer is weight. Maybe I should ask my rocket scientist uncle. He has worked on the project, as did my grandfather.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by haroldchrismeyer
    My guess is that the answer is weight. Maybe I should ask my rocket scientist uncle. He has worked on the project, as did my grandfather.

well if its a weight issue, the first thing they could do is to not paint the fuel tank.. the paint on the fuel tank alone weighs 4400 lbs..

I bet theres a few places they could cut some weight.. that things a pig.

It still amazes me every time I see pictures of it though [^]
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I Think jdyer said it best:

The current foam is made of dyflesmic muconium, which has a low coefficient of friction and heat expansion. Unfortunately, the surface is nonporous and adhesion to the tank is difficult. The solution is to use a nitrin agrate bonder which holds firmly in the porous conditions of the foam, but it is quite brittle at low temps. Low temps is relative, but the estophus stability factor (brittleness) is around 285 degreed Fahr. The tank surface sensors are damaged at temps above 300 fahr. So, the problem is to keep the tank surface temp under the foam above 285 and below 300 at takeoff. The sensors are only needed in the first few seconds of takeoff so high temps are ok after that. This is sometimes difficult and is a worry everytime a shuttle launches. Some of the debris of this last takeoff may have been from a dip below 285 prior to takeoff. I believe most shuttles will be grounded until an alternative bonding agent can be applied to shuttles; available but expensive to retrofit. (This is all b.s., I was really bored)

Screw Allah & Have a Great Day!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod

The current foam is made of dyflesmic muconium, which has a low coefficient of friction and heat expansion. Unfortunately, the surface is nonporous and adhesion to the tank is difficult. The solution is to use a nitrin agrate bonder which holds firmly in the porous conditions of the foam, but it is quite brittle at low temps. Low temps is relative, but the estophus stability factor (brittleness) is around 285 degreed Fahr. The tank surface sensors are damaged at temps above 300 fahr. So, the problem is to keep the tank surface temp under the foam above 285 and below 300 at takeoff. The sensors are only needed in the first few seconds of takeoff so high temps are ok after that. This is sometimes difficult and is a worry everytime a shuttle launches. Some of the debris of this last takeoff may have been from a dip below 285 prior to takeoff. I believe most shuttles will be grounded until an alternative bonding agent can be applied to shuttles; available but expensive to retrofit. (This is all b.s., I was really bored)

did you seriously make all of that up? it sounded real [:D]

sniper.gifhappy.gifanim_sniper.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    It's not like they don't have options...

gascan.jpg
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    A strong coating over the foam wouldn't help. What I've been told is that the way the foam is applied leaves bubbles, just like any other foam. As the pressure outside the tank changes, the bubbles pop. The coating would just be more shrapnel to throw at the tiles when that happens.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ZERODIN
    A strong coating over the foam wouldn't help. What I've been told is that the way the foam is applied leaves bubbles, just like any other foam. As the pressure outside the tank changes, the bubbles pop. The coating would just be more shrapnel to throw at the tiles when that happens.

which is why you use a one piece kevlar mesh thats anchored in a few places, so anything that breaks will stay underneath the mesh..

[:)]
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    why is this problem just starting to happen the shuttle has been going up since the early 80s why is this just starting to happen

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • Options
    robkelly2242robkelly2242 Member Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NASA has been given proposed solutions, such as fibers in the foam, mesh, etc but refused to consider them because they weren't Nasa-generated ideas. NASA is no longer run by engineers (e.g., problem solvers) but by managers (e.g., job protectors). Best thing to do would be to fire all the top brass and hire the Rutan brothers.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    My question exactly. Why weren't pieces of foam falling off the tank from the start? Have they recently changed the spec? Or changed the contractor? What was different back in the eighties?

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod

Now that is funny [:D] [:D]
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Foam has been falling off the tanks since the very beginning. The shuttle has been lucky in that regard, until Columbia. It was simply not seen as a serious problem. Now, it is.

As to the Kevlar mesh idea, in fact, it has been indeed the principal proposed idea on the table. And you have guessed right, the prohibiton so far has been weight.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    ~Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here

"Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~President George W. Bush
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not familiar with nasa or rockets and can not offer any opinions to that point. However I am familiar with the foam on beer.[:D]

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They actually no longer "paint" the external fuel tank. That's why it's orange, because the foam is orange. In the first several missions, the tank was painted white but it added weight and NASA decided to leave it off on future missions. The foam is there to cut down on ice build up caused by the pressurized liquid oxygen in the tank. Pieces of the foam have fallen off every tank since the beginning of the shuttle program. It wasn't a problem until Columbia. Now NASA realizes that any foam falling off can be just as dangerous as ice chunks falling off. When they worked on the tank over the last 2-1/2 years in the wake of the Columbia disaster, they came up with the idea of eliminating the foam in the "problem" areas by installing heaters (similar in concept to a sort of electric blanket type thing) attached to the tank in certain problem areas where foam had tended to fall off. But, they didn't eliminate all the foam and in particular the foam from the area that fell off this time because they didn't think foam in that area would be a problem. Obviously they were wrong. I think they should eliminate the foam all together and use the heaters all over the tank. Heaters all over the tank might weigh more than the foam coating did but I'd bet it could be done with out too much additional weight. After all, the heaters wouldn't have to totally cover the tank, but rather just be placed at strategic points over the surface of the tank to keep the surface free of ice. Of course then they'd probably start having a problem with the heaters fall off during launch.
  • Options
    forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by robkelly2242
    NASA has been given proposed solutions, such as fibers in the foam, mesh, etc but refused to consider them because they weren't Nasa-generated ideas. NASA is no longer run by engineers (e.g., problem solvers) but by managers (e.g., job protectors). Best thing to do would be to fire all the top brass and hire the Rutan brothers.

Hiring Rutan to run NASA is a brilliant idea! He'd have us on Mars a lot sooner than 2030! But, I doubt Rutan would want to get involved in such a political bureaucratic nightmare as NASA.
  • Options
    snickerssnickers Member Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One word. Ducttape

MONEY TALKS mine says good-bye
  • Options
    fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Again, Red/Green says "Chicken wire and spackle'd fix 'er right up".

99% of all lawyers make the rest look bad.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right forth, Rutan is way to smart to get into that mess. Always loved that canard winged craft he designed in the '70's.

snickers - you must be a NASCAR man!

65 - I had one years ago. Blk w/ white interior. Still have a '69 FB conv't, original title w/ about 65K.

Here is a thought. Let the foam fly off. Position the tank as best as possible out of the way and have deflectors protect the shuttle until detach. It doesn't take rocket science to determine where the loose foam will go. Wait a minute ... these are rocket scientists!

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.