In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Positive visit from the ATF

crisisbillcrisisbill Member Posts: 487 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I just had a dealing with the ATF and it was just fine, and the 2 ladies were GREAT to look at to boot.
One of my customers bought a gun from some Yahoo in N.J. the guy took the gun to his FFL and it was shipped to me (FFL to FFL) no problem.
But when it got to my shop it had a loaded mag and one in the chamber, I called the FFL and he just poo-pooed it as no big deal.
So I called the NJ State Police and the ATF and reported the incident, as a result I had a visit from 2 great looking gals from the ATF.
They took a deposition from me and the box the gun was shipped in and inspected the gun, they had me hold the gun for 7 days before I could release it to my customer while they completed the investigation.
They were very friendly and did I mention that they were soooo damm cute : ) one of them is an active shooter who grew up around guns and is a gun rights supporter and NRA member, oh did I say anything about how CUTE they were.......
Also the gun was shipped via regular ground service out of some Staples Store.

If you Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Fail<P>coyotehunter@hvc.rr.com<P><br>

Guns don't have fingerprints; they have signatures that can be changed in a moment.

Comments

• paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Oh boy I can see some heated discussions coming out of this post!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Probably made you wonder what they'd look like wearing their jackboots (and nothing else)[}:)][;)][}:)]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Wow I'll bet the sending FFL/dipshirt won't think it's a little deal after BATFE pays him a little visit. Whadda PUTZ!!

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    How do you accidentaly ship a loaded gun? What's more how do you do somethign that dumb and then write it off as no big deal?

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should have asked 'em if they would have liked to check if your gun[8D] was loaded

sniper.gif
    koreaAnim.gifUN.bmp

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
  • crisisbillcrisisbill Member Posts: 487 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really hated to report him but his whole attitude was wrong, to him it was "No Big Deal" and "Screw You" for getting upset.
    That's why I called him 1st to see if he had shipped the gun or just gave a copy of his FFL to the seller and had the seller do the shipping.
    Now people have sent me guns with a box of ammo in the same box, saying take the ammo since I don't have the gun now.
    But this was the 1st time I recieved a loaded gun, to make matters worse my partner's wife and kid were in the store when the gun was being unpacked and who knows what could have happened if not for the fact that we treat EACH and EVERY gun as though it's loaded until we check it.

Guns don't have fingerprints; they have signatures that can be changed in a moment.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You never mentiond what the agents looked like[}:)]

I think you did the right thing because this will hopefully get another dummy out of the system.

Staples ... now what do you want to bet that the high IQ FFL didn't tell them what was in the box as he was trying to save a buck??? Either that or one of his relatives works there ...

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    But are they single?

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I don't think you handled it well.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    did u metion gunbroker we could use some ladies to drool over

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Positive and ATF in the same sentance is an oximoron. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HHHhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm........., I never cease to be amazed!

I Miss The World I Grew Up In!
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I don't think you handled it well.

If the shipping FFL doesn't take proper precautions when shipping firearms and thinks it is no big deal to ship a loaded firearm then he does unfortunately need to be reported. Otherwise when he continues to do this and a postal employee or other innocent person gets shot, it will not only be a senseless injury/death, but also will give the media and antis something to have a field day with.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I just have no comment...

[:(!]

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
    edited November -1
    Your points are correct, but I still think it wasn't handled well.

The StormTroopers - cute or not - need to be abolished - not encouraged.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    Your points are correct, but I still think it wasn't handled well.

Doug, how would you have handled it if you were crisisbill?
    edited November -1
    I think I would have handled it unofficially, with a detailed conversation with the sender, to try to find out "The Rest of the Story" from him. There could have been unusual circumstances that would have taken adroit questioning to get to - I think it was a gigantic over-reaction.

What the guy did was big-time wrong, and he should have been called on it, in an unofficial manner - one way or another.

No offense intended, but there are lots of ways to skin a cat.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    It probably was an accident the seller shipped it loaded, but you never know if the ATF is involved.

Case in point. I sold an S&W 4506 awhile back on GB. I was worried about shipping it myself and took it to a friend of mine that's an FFL holder to ship it for me. He told me not to package it myself, that he'd do it for me too. Accidentaly, I took it to him loaded!

I felt like a fool of course. Now, I always use him to ship any firearms I sell, just to be safe.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • crisisbillcrisisbill Member Posts: 487 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doug,
    I did place a call to the dealer first to get his side of it, he was the one that thought it was no big deal and got nasty.
    Only after that did I contact the ATF.

• bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Something to the effect of 'Tell it to me or to the ATF' would have gotten his undivided attention or he would have gotten nastier. The postal workers always ask me to verify that the gun is unloaded and I have to sign a paper stating that it is safe and unloaded.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A positive visit from the ATF is like a fun case of some STD!

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Boy some guys will do anything to meet a couple babes.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't believe you didn't get a picture of you standing between them ...

hmmm ... maybe a riding crop would be appropriate ... dressed only in their jack-boots, you in fuzzy cuffs ... [}:)]

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind [8D]

Topeka.gif
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,449 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you did handle it well.

Perhaps I am naive or just stupid, but all of my interactions to date with the ATF have also been positive.

He Dog
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    There is no acceptable excuse not to check any weapon, before storing, showing, handling, shipping or
    (my delete key broke ..are) anything else.
    Dumbbm butt
    Walte the uncorrected, delete key geez..
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have handeled it much differnt, First off you did the right thing by contacting the other FFL dealer and telling him what he did was WRONG, and the he should make it a practice to double and tripple check the firearm BEFORE boxing it up for shipping OR you WOULD report
    him to the Authorities,But going right to those Thugs (skirts or not)
    and ratting him out was Wrong.The BATFE will have his FFL for Breakfast over this and you will be a Major factor in thier actions.
    Dont forget,now that you were involved in an Investigation your FFL will be Red flagged and you can COUNT on Many more Visits from those Nice sexy ladies in the future.

use_deer.jpg
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    All ATF personal are not what some of you would make them out to be. The person who got the State 4-H shooting Sports Program started in KY is an employee of the ATF! He is also the state 4-H Trap instructor who trains all of the rest of us 4-H trap coaches! He is as fine a person as there is. He has done more to introduce the sport of shooting to kids in KY than any other person I know of except his wife who also helped him to get the program started. The ATF as an agency is a problem but we must remember that for every ATF agent that is an * there is one that is not. They do have a job to perform as does anyone who works for a living! They do not make the guidelines yet rather our ELECTED officials make the guide lines. With that said, reporting the FFL holder to the ATF was harsh but all it takes is one FFL holder to screw things up for all FFL holders. The firearm was loaded and shipped. What if it had gone off while in transit? When the FFL holder was called, apparently he was not worried nor showed any remorse. He needed to be reported IMHO.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Pictures please, of the ATF agents off course!![:D][:D]

Maybe with handcuffs?

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    quote:I don't think you handled it well.

Yes, next time, we want pictures of the ladies!

I had a handgun shipped back to me after repair by the manufacturer, UPS knew I was expecting a gun, and opened a package rather than leave it on the porch. It was a gun, shipped with no "signature required" designation...
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FCD might have a point. I doubt it but it's possible. Anymore, I don't trust anyone. Hey, it's not paranoia if they really are out to get you!

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.