In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Chaingangs

s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Watching a movie last night I got to wondering if there are still chaingangs in some areas of this country.

Comments

• RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes!....and I for one am glad they've come back...some of the southern states I've traveled thru have them doing mowing and maintenance along the highways...they wear orange jumpsuits but are not chained together like you see in the movies...seem to remember seeing them in Georgia, or Tennesse last summer...
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    In Flarda, Alabammer, You bet'ca. They are just not chained together anymore
    I Refuse to be a VictimGrumpy old man
  • badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    North Carolina too. Their guards must have the most boring job in the world.
    PC=BS
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Why dont they rent 'em out to the local community to do things like landscape and till and spread fertilizer and things like that?If they have to live with those dirtbags in their backyard, they should get to have them work in their backyard for free.
  • songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Count kansas in. I see them picking up trash in the winter and trimming around the interstates and local hiways with push mowers in the middle of the day in the summer. I did a research projecxt a couple of years ago on prisons. Do you know that on average an inmate costs us tax paying citizens $19 a year per inmate. songdog
  • tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It used to be that Texas' prison system was fully self supporting. They[ the prisoners] grew their own food, built their own prisons, sold the excess goods they grew to supplement the systems budget, etc. Now, due to laws declaring all the above to be "Cruel and unusual punishment, the inmates have air conditioned cells, color TV, libraries to researce an endless amount of frivilous appeals, three square meals a day, recreation privlidges, commissary privledges, and an endless number of privledges. No wonder the prisons are full. A good roof over your head and food is more than alot of these creeps have ever had. It makes me sick to hear them complain how their civil rights are being abused. Hell, they shouldn't have any civil rights. They're Felons, for Christ sake!!!!Tideman[the law abider]
    "Don't shoot to stop 'em, Shoot to Destroy 'em!"
  • songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, but i still am not a big fan of the rump rangers that reside there.songdog
  • Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep, they have male and female ones here in az. they should make them work for the state, after all they are in prison for commiting a crime.
    Remember,"your woman may not find you handsome, But atleast she'll find ya handy". I love that show..............
  • Miss. CreantMiss. Creant Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    South Dakota has them doing all kinds of work like that. State work and stuff for small communities also.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see them picking up the litter, off the side of the highway, every now and then. I'm pretty sure they are just doing community service though. Drunk drivers and such no hard core felons. Something I never thought I'd see here in NY.WOODS
  • agencyburnagencyburn Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mississippi toothey(state inmates)wear green and white striper jumpsuits. StyliN!
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Here in ultra liberal NJ, we too have a form of a chaingang. We take the prisoners out in vans for the purpose of cleaning the sides of the highways, but the guards do the work and the prisoners watch them. Making them do work would be considered cruel and unusual punishment, and no doubt they would sue.Whata country! Only in America.-Charlie
    It's the stuff dreams are made of AngelNRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • dhdh Member Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tideman,I think your analysis of what inmates enjoy while locked uo is a litle strong.Unless I'm mistaken they still go out every day providing the weather isn't colder than like 50 degrees. Color tv? New prisons are mostly built in the dorm style,that means 1 tv per dorm until 10:30 pm.Comissary,if they are lucky enough to have any money yes they get to go every 2 weeks or so.And air conditioned,how about a small oscillating fan from the commissary if you have money to buy it.Portions of prisons are air conditioned but not usually the general population.Incarceration is like being in the service only worse.You are told when to eat,shower,work,watch tv if available and every other thing we automatically do everyday without thinking about it.I agree it's not Alcatraz of the 1940s but the environment alone is much harsher than generally expected.Ask a guard sometimes.Prison is a harsh place,unless it's a minimum federal prison.Everyone knows bank robbery and kidnapping are a federal crime,but check out how many prisomers are locked up in state prisons for these exact crimes.Know why,cash.
  • smokinggunsmokinggun Member Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We've got them here in VA picking up trash on the roadside with the guard standing by with a shotgun (shotgun crew) They are the only ones I've seen with 4-wheel drive work vans. I sure would like to have one of those vans for construction work.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least the county lock up here in Albuquerque uses prisoners for road clean up. I second Songdog, Prison does not look like such a soft life to me.Gotta ask, was this a movie about a "failure to communicate?"[This message has been edited by He Dog (edited 02-09-2002).]
  • hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    Can't say as if i've seen any in Michigan, but I have seen gaurds taking prisoner in orange around in vans. I believe it wouldn't hurt them to pay a little back to the community. It didn't hurt them to take a little from the community. Besides, theres alot of elderly that could use a hand around the place.
    The older I get, The better I was!!!
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Arizona chain gangs are voluntary. And more prisoners want to go than slots available. It must get pretty boring sitting in those cages.