In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Guided hunts.

simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Who all has been on a guided hunt? Was it worth the $$$? Was it a good experience?I'm thinking about a trip out West (MT or CO or WY) for Elk and/or Mulies around Dec. 03'. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    R WallerR Waller Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    do your research on the outfitters !call references, check the state boards they are registered in, ask on all the hunting forums you visit...
  • Options
    edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been on several guided hunts, some good, some not so good.They are especially valuable the first time you hunt a new area, or the area is so far away that you can't scout it during the off season.Also not being as young as I used to be, I won't hunt elk unless there is a pack horse or two not far away. You really need to do your home work, one,as to where you want to hunt and two, to check the back ground and experience of the guide. ALWAYS insure that they are properly licensed and check a lot of references. The first few references will always be long time customers who are certain to be supportive. Also, keep control of the hunt, you don't have to shoot the first animal the guides finds for you or try that 400 yard shot as the animal disappears over a ridge.If you do your planning and preparation you should have a good hunt. Good Luck, Ed
  • Options
    sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been on 2 guided elk hunts. One in Mi. and one in Co. Both were substandard in my opinion. Guided hunts in an unknown area for game you have never hunted are still the way to go.(IMO) Research your guide service COMPLETLY. I got lazy and paid for it...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice.I think I've settled on MT, just because my Grandfather used to go out there and always talked about how beautiful his hunts were. (He always brought back elk jerky, too).I'll definetly start researching different guides, narrow it down to five or so and then really dig on them.Now for another ?. Equipment:I hunt AL whitetails with an M1 Garand (unscoped). I don't take shots over 200yds. Period. That is because I can always put a round on the 9" gong at the 200yd mark on the range. Every shot. But, sometimes I miss at 250 and 300. So, I figure that is my limit.I would like to hunt with the M1 ('06). Can I expect 200 yard or less shots out there? I have a good pair of binocs and a rangefinder.What about clothing?Will I need a pack?Anything else I'm leaving out?Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never hunted in Montana, but have hunted in several other western states. In my opinion the 30-06 is fine for elk, but in Western hunting you often find yourself in open areas and shooting at longer ranges. A scoped bolt action rifle would extend your range to 300 yards, and that might be where the big one is at.
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also I wanted to add that you should get in shape for your hunt. Western hunts will be at high altitude and every walk is uphill. There are no downhills in the west. I walk 3 miles a day for at least two months before an elk hunt.