In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

pre-ban AK-47

WildturkeyWildturkey Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
how do you know if a AK is prebaned? i know a guy selling a folder and i dont know if it is legal or not.what is the best AK to get? does it need to be milled?

Comments

• madminutemadminute Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll have to see the original purchase reciept. I'm not a lawyer, or an ATF agent, so PLEASE take this as opinion. I believe that the weapon had to be in the US prior to the date that the ban went into effect sometime in 1994...but I think there were some restrictions prior to that, and you better check into the status regarding the folding stock......IF you find that the weapon was imported prior to '94 and that it is legal, you'll probably be looking at a Chinese PolyTech or Norinco, as these were the most common and least expensive. some Eastern Bloc AKs were around, but more expensive and therefore not so common. There were some PolyTech "Match" grade, but I've never fired one.. I've had two Norinco AKs, and both were flawless in function, even under some pretty adverse Florida swamp conditions.And as to milled or stamped..well, if accuracy is an issue, don't buy an assault rifle. Is the milled reciever stronger? Sure. But are you going into combat? Will a truck or tank ever roll over it? Not likely. And if it means double the price, I'll stick with stamped. AKs are running all over the world with millions of soldiers and looneys alike, and most are on stamped recievers. My post-ban Romarms AK-74 is stamped, as were both my Norinco AKs, and they never ever failed. And I don't baby them.As I said, be careful and check your local and state laws even more closely than the Federal..because local and state law can be VERY different...
  • lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For an AK to be pre-ban it would have had to have been made and in the country as of March 1989. The 1994 ban dealt with domestically made guns. The 1989 ban was the one that affected imports like the AK. Over the years I've seen a lot of fakes and illegally modified guns. If it says MAK90 or NHM90, it is definitely NOT a pre-ban and not legal as a folding stocked gun. If you can get me some of the info off the side of the gun, model number, importer, etc. , I should be able to help. My address is LRARMSX@MCHSI.COM