In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How far would you go to help a friend?

Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
edited July 2003 in General Discussion
Got into an interesting conversation today during PT about how far is too far when helping a friend.... Well, what would you or would you not do to help a true friend? Here were a few of the points of discussion:

1. With whom is he in trouble? Wife, Work, Etc..?
2. Was someone hurt and they are evading the Law?
3. What do they want? Money, Advice, Car, Etc..?
4. What is the risk to me? Money, Family, Career, FREEDOM?
5. Is it in my friends best interest to help him? Rather subjective, eh?

I am betting there are some interesting points to come out of this one. FYI, I said I'd help my friend until it was completely futile or unethical for me to continue with the assistance. The key word here is ethical, as the meaning is very different to very different people.

Any takers?

NSDQ!

"Nobody dislikes war more than warriors, but we value the causes of peace so highly that we will not duck a war in an effort to get a lasting peace." -General Daniel "Chappie" James

Comments

• Options
    James LyleJames Lyle Member Posts: 57
    edited November -1
    I've committed MANY a felony, to help a real friend. Those number very few, tho.
  • Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    JL,

Congratulations.[:(]

NSDQ!

"Nobody dislikes war more than warriors, but we value the causes of peace so highly that we will not duck a war in an effort to get a lasting peace." -General Daniel "Chappie" James
  • Options
    5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NS, I would suggest a "real friend" would not be compelled to involve another in his plight. I.E. if we were friends and I just committed a felony crime, you might get a short phone call weeks later but that's it.

If a "friend" came to me after doing such, I'd suggest he exit ASAP for I was going to be making a 911 call. Then make good on that statement. Friends like that I don't need. Note, if his actions and intent during this perceived crime were such that a reasonable defense could be made, I would certainly plead that to him as well. But in no way would I aid his escape.

If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website
  • Options
    rtvhrtvh Member Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would help a freind in any way I could but draw the line at felony,certain moral issuses and would consider how my action would effect those closets next to me.

SC-Slide-Small.gifLittleHulk.jpg
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Depends on the situation. But knowing me and knowing them, there's very little I wouldn't do for a friend in need. Money is something you can always get more of and "help" doesn't necessarily mean compounding any mistakes your friends might have made.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Also thinks it's got something to do with what he/she did.
    As long as it isn't illegal - I'd go very very far too.

As mentioned here, money are of little importance - I'd help with what I could spare at the time.

Got a friend out of trouble at a bar once, as he got himself into trouble with 4 guys that supposedly didn't like him.

Two of them were only there for show - didn't want to fight, but stood up to their buddies - but quickly backed down when the short fight started.

I ended up breaking a guys collarbone - so the last guy who fought my friend at the time backed down as well.
    Nothing ever came out of it, not even a report as all of us were adults and could see where the fault was.
    They were big enough to settle down, wait for the ambulance and that was it.

That's just what I allready did for a friend - I would do it again if needed to.
    This time we were lucky - 4 guys, same size or a little bit bigger, my friend was a little bit tipzy.
    Bad odds at a barbrawl.

Offcourse I regretted to have broken the guys collarbone - sure.
    But would risk doing it again - if it helped a friend.

If he/she was breaking the law - I would probably help out as much as I saw fit, but would ask not to go all the way and get too involved myself.
    If he's/she's a good enough friend - he/she would ask only enough not to bring me in too deep.

Friends know I don't take sides - it's neutral country here.
    If they've got trouble at work, with the wife/husband...
    I will help and stay neutral.

Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • Options
    shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    It depends.

I would do almost anything for a friend, a true friend.

Would call the line at most things illegal, immoral though.

I give up my time to help my true friends almost weekly.

Last winter I climbed over a 7 foot wall of plow generated snow, to get a shovel so that I could get a start on clearing a good friend's driveway. And man, I hate the cold. But when you are doing that for a good, true friend, its not that cold [8D]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man, 5db, that is the last time I shoot anyone for you! [}:)]

Always a consideration when helping is: is it really help? Do you "loan" an alcoholic a few bucks for a "meal?" No, but you might buy him a meal. One has to be careful, as some folks make a life out of being rescued. For a really good friend I would do a lot, and have, but I draw a line somewhere around becoming really uncomfortable with what is being asked, and before breaking laws in most cases.

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    First, I have to be here to provide for my family. Therefore, I would not break man's law and risk going to jail. Next, I will have to face God some day soon, and I already have enough to answer for. Therefore, I will not break God's law. Lastly, I would never help someone or assist them in breaking God's law or man's law.

Other than that, I would do what I could.

Measure twice, cut once.
    calipers_open_close_md_wht.gif
    Empty the clip!
    smoking_gun_md_wht.gif
  • Options
    5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He Dog, as you know, that was "someone" not just "anyone". Big, huge difference...[8D]

If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website
  • Options
    ToolbabeToolbabe Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im hoping this is correctly quoted
    No man hath greater love than to lay down his life for a friend

I have a good friend that I considder to be my sister.
    I would do anything I could for her she has done for me so many things I can not repay her. She recently left her husband who has progressivly been beatting her more and more and it got to the point that he smashed her face into the fridge to prove "He could", I would have killed him if I thought it was the only way to get her safe.

no I dont think killing is right and I think there were ways to fix the situation[I am on the east coast and she on the west]So we found another way to handel it, and would I help her any way I could, yes

Master mess sargent RRG
    Flying-witch18.gif
    Oh my God! is the beginning of a prayer, not a one liner!
    We come into this life with nothing, everything after this is our treasure
  • Options
    bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a true friend I would do anything. but if its illegal, thats where I draw the line.

Dont need to get myself into something that shouldnt have happened.

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • Options
    spectre7spectre7 Member Posts: 965 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't draw many lines when it comes to issues of friendship and loyalty. My help goes regardless of requirements or limitations as long as the friendship lasts. Easier for me to say though, I am young, and do not have a family whom looks to me for support.

Typos and profanity, oh my! http://www.funky-town.org
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would depend on the friend, the circumstances, and whether any law involved was a just law. No doubt people helped Jewish friends in Nazi Germany, for example. It's too big a question for me to give a simple answer; let's just say I would help a friend in the most constructive way I could think of, and do so discreetly and without fear once my mind was made up.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

lifepatch.giffortbutton2.gif
  • Options
    timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    NS - Very interesting. Unlike with some folks here the concept of legal/illegal is not so important to me. For very close friends and family I would probably do most anything without much regard for law, co$t, or general approval. I guess when it comes down to something so serious as that, the choice is made with the heart and spirit and personal morals and ethics. It probably wouldn't hurt to ask oneself what one would have done for oneself if one were in the same bind. I also see some of the youth around here with "WWJD" on t-shirts, bracelets, etc. I don't guess there's a better guide to behavior than asking oneself, "What would Jesus do?"

timbroman@aol.com