In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Iraq pronunciation

badwrenchbadwrench Member Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2005 in General Discussion
Do you say "eye-rack" or "ear-auk"?

I say "eye-rack", am I wrong?

Chrome don't get you home. RatRodz.gif

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Actually it depends on where in the US you live. Here in AZ we usually pronounce it "sheet-hole"[;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Given the complexities of the Arab dialect, I'm sure all of those pronunciations we hear are wrong...[:p]
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In arabic it would be pronounced "ear-auk" or "ear-rock", I tried to spell it phonetically as best as I can. That is how the people of the country would say it.

It is also not supposed to be said as "buzz-ruh". It is supposed to be said as "bus-rah"; the "S" sound is important in verbalizing it correctally.

There is actually a town in arizona if I am not mistaken that is called "bagdad". However the city in Iraq is spelled "baghdah" with that extra "H" on the maps.

Not that it matters given that Iran is farsi(aka persian) and not spoken arabic. As far as I know if you lived in Iraq and you were talking about Iran you would say it like "E-ron" and ..NOT.. "I-ran".

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Good note about Iran. Not too many people know the difference between Iranians (Persian) and Iraqis (Arab).
  • Options
    timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    I have always thought the general practice is that capitalized/proper nouns are correctly pronunced however the speaker chooses within the constraints of the speakers' language.

I think that is why I was taught as a kid in school to spell the word as "Irak" and it was pronounced something like "eye rack"- might have had to do with the general rule in English that a "Q" would have to be followed by a "U". But that was a very long time ago.