In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

17 HMR

Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
where can i find bullets for the 17 hmr (no one has them in stock)

you can be king or street sweeper but everyone is going to dance with the reaper

Comments

• Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just picked up a Marlin 917VT in 17 HMR with a scope on it. What will this gun do for range and groups? I have never had a 17 HMR before so its all new to me. Is it a real flat shooter?
    edited November -1
    Ok, what's the deal with the 17 HMR? Are they still being made? I thought that they were recalled and that nobody is making the ammunition.

My cousin said that he just got one for his birthday and he loves it. He said that ammunition is pricey but that's the only problem.
    edited November -1
    What should I get, is Volquartsen only one making semiauto? What about a good bolt action??
    edited November -1
    I just read my first info about the new 17HMR cartridge. Looks very promising. It may be "old hat" with some of you guys, but does anyone have one of the new rifles in this caliber? If so, how does it perform? Can you tell me anything about how much ammo costs and how available it is?
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have any dealings with this caliber. What are some of the Pros and Cons? What are some opinions?

socarl.txtTigerpaw.txt
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grafs has it for $9.23 a box. WWW.grafs.com
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It made the cover of American Rifleman this month and gets a lot of praise. Like I said, this may be the newest example of a truly successful caliber introduction, maybe very successful in terms of overall volume depending on how popular it becomes with varmint rifle manufacturers and enthusiasts. Of course it helps to have the Hornady name on it.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun store here in Columbus is getting two Rugers in next week,1 is already sold,I'll look at and report on the other 17rimfire.
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    I'm working on developing a .09 sized cartridge and a gun to fire it.Hell, if the .17's good on varmints, I figure the .09 should be fantastic for mouse season.Maybe the military will adopt it. Takes two to drag the one, right? Maybe with the .09 it'll take one to run and get a Band-Aid, one to pat the guy reassuringly, and one to curse and shake his fist at you.I plan on charging $900 for the rifle, so get out those checkbooks now.
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Bullseye, You probabably shoot 50BMG and ar-15s and sks's. I don't have any of them and don't want any, but I think you ought to have as many as you want!! I think we ought to have all the little guns we want and we won't have any problems.
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got my American Rifleman magazine the other day, clever cover. But, I think that the .17 IS pretty darn small. Might be fun for varmits, though. What's the advantage of creating such a small cartridge?
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't wait to get my hands on one. I am hoping it will make a great squirrel gun. I have used a 22 Mag. for years. I like the flat shooting and the longer range of the Mag. over the LR but it does tear them little critters up quite a bit. I'm hoping the 17 will have the range of the Mag. and not do as much damage to to the squirrel.
    edited November -1
    concealed--Well first of all there's 2550 fps muzzle velocity... but they say it's accurate, too. It sure is a heck of a bb!
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Cabela's says they will have ammo on the 20th of Feb., my dealer says he'll have the Marlins about the first of March. Can't wait to try the little beast out. Probably be a real thing to get a kid hooked on varmint hunting. The dealer here already has 16 Marlins spoken for and 6 Rugers. I hope the round lives up to the hype!!
    edited November -1
    Lightning-- From what I read, the 17 HMR's velocity is such that it will probably tear up squirrels more than the 22 mag. We eat the squirrels I shoot and I have found standard 22LR ammo (not hollowpoints) is hard to beat. There is no wasted meat.
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldnt hold your breath on Cabella's, I was suppose to receive mine from them today, and what did I get, valentines day cookies from mom, not a bad deal, but not what I was expecting, ya' know?
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
    edited November -1
    I think it might be fun in Ruger's 10/22, but I'm not too fond of small-caliber bolt actions, so I may wait a bit. I suppose there won't be quite the accuracy in a semi-auto, but....By the way, American Rifleman says the Marlin stainless prototype shoots .85" AVERAGE groups at 100 yards and makes less noise than a comparable .22.I too, wonder about the effect on the meat of a small animal. Looked like the fragments put a baseball-sized wound cavity in modeling clay...
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive got a Ruger 77MKII here right now in .17HRM. No ammo though.