In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tracking Numbers on Firearms Purchase

chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in General Discussion
I fail to understand why some sellers on GB refuse to pass tracking numbers to buyers, even when you ask them for one. Considering the cost of virtually any firearm on GB and the mere fact firearms are highly susceptible to theft, it seems appropriate sellers would do so.

Please note around 75% of all sellers provide tracking for all firearms and also small non firearm purchases.

Perhaps I am being unfair, but I refuse to give any seller an A+ feedback if they can't provide a tracking number on a gun purchase. Wonder if I am alone here?

Comments

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree to point. Tracking numbers are nice to have especially so I can let my FFL know I have something coming in.

I won't give a guy a down check for not giving me a tracking number.

When I win an auction I send the guy a letter with payment, a copy of my guys FFL for transfer and some instructions on what I won, the auction number, the winning bid + shipping cost.

I may send him an email if he sends me one.

I always fill in the GB shipping, payment tracker,

But I don't expect a tracking number, if I get one great.

The one thing I don't want to do and I don't want done to me is to bet hounded and emailed to death. That ticks me off. I don't need a new email buddy and I damn well don't want someone calling every 3 hrs asking questions.

I have never given anyone but an A+. Of all the transactions I have done on here(96) I have had 2 problems, one was my fault and one was the sellers fault, both were resolved through email.
    RLTW

• Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,259 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sitting in the post office parking lot having just mailed two handguns. I just finished emailing tracking info to my two customers. It's just part of customer service.
  • reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't done that much buying on GB, but the transactions I have had were all handled well, and tracking numbers were provided promptly. I for one expect to receive tracking numbers, so perhaps I've been lucky so far.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ricci....selling steadily on Gun Broker, those trips to the post office get OLD really quick. You need to go on line and get set up on USPS.com You just log on, make your shipping labels and print them out. When you make the labels you can include your customer's email address and the tracking numbers are automatically sent to your buyers....you just give your boxes to your carrier. It gives you a discount on shipping when you use the on line system AND you have the added bonus of having a database of all your tracking numbers and expenses in one place.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,259 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you Darlin!!! I will look at that right away. Hope you and yours are having a good holiday season. quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    Ricci....selling steadily on Gun Broker, those trips to the post office get OLD really quick. You need to go on line and get set up on USPS.com You just log on, make your shipping labels and print them out. When you make the labels you can include your customer's email address and the tracking numbers are automatically sent to your buyers....you just give your boxes to your carrier. It gives you a discount on shipping when you use the on line system AND you have the added bonus of having a database of all your tracking numbers and expenses in one place.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW-Never experienced that. Who was the seller?
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,490 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most tracking numbers are useless. Bought a pair of non slip shoes on anther web site. Received an email from the seller with the tracking number. Ran the tracking info and it said they would be delivered today by the end of the day. Then I went on the UPS web site and ran the same numbers through them. Tracking stated to be delivered by the end of the day next Tuesday.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    Thank you Darlin!!! I will look at that right away. Hope you and yours are having a good holiday season. quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork

When I was selling brass on GB several years back, I did the same as Kasey, 'cept I dropped off on my way to work. I appreciated being able to hand the package off to the front desk.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you ship from inside the GunBroker site, the tracking number is associated with the order, the buyer can see it when they are logged in and the system actually sends them an email with it as well. Right now we only have FedEx but I am working on a project that will add USPS and UPS this year. I'm not sure how much the discount will be yet, but like our current FedEx it will be discounted off of rack rates. Also unlike standard FedEx, UPS, & USPS it will have REAL insurance from an external 3rd party which hopefully will reduce the hassle factor with shipping.

Stay tuned..
  • mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always send tracking same day as it ships. Some of the FFl even want the tracking number too an send them it.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    If you ship from inside the GunBroker site, the tracking number is associated with the order, the buyer can see it when they are logged in and the system actually sends them an email with it as well. Right now we only have FedEx but I am working on a project that will add USPS and UPS this year. I'm not sure how much the discount will be yet, but like our current FedEx it will be discounted off of rack rates. Also unlike standard FedEx, UPS, & USPS it will have REAL insurance from an external 3rd party which hopefully will reduce the hassle factor with shipping.

Stay tuned..

I'm pretty excited about this.....keeping things streamlined and all in one place is pretty exciting! I like the idea of a third party insurance VERY much. I rarely have problems, but when I do its like plucking a live ostrich while blindfolded to get things handled.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at that^ Two of the very finest sellers on here helping each other out. Too bad we don't have more of that around here.
  • oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some sellers just don't get it. Obviously Kasey and Ricci do.

It took 4 emails to finally get my last seller to post my feedback ..... 2 weeks after I left the seller's feedback. And they had my payment and the FFL about 18 hours after I won the auction on a Saturday night. No tracking number or any other communication at all was ever initiated by the seller. No need to deal with folks that don't appreciate my business again.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing I forgot to mention is the tendency to leave the package on the porch. Most sellers do insure but seldom ask for delivery confirmation.

Never had the pleasure of buying from Ricci and Kasey, but the fact they provide customers tracking info places them above others.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright

We even use something like that at work for UPS and FedEx. Lets the customers know whats going on. Most folks I have bought from use the same type of system.

I like it cause that lets me know to keep an eye out for it and get it before anybody else does.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,069 ******
    edited November -1
    Maybe I'm not automated enough. I take my stuff to the post office, buy postage and mail it. I have tracking numbers, but I usually don't send it to the buyer unless it's a very high value purchase. i have to enter the tracking number manually at the USPS site, then copy and paste the URL and send to the buyer.

I hear there's a more streamlined way of doing this, but I haven't been acquainted with it yet.

I also self-insure. USPS insurance is worse than useless, so I don't use it.
  • KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Certainly agree on no A+ if communication isn't A+ quality - and that includes refusing to give tracking #.

Tracking # was super nice on the last gun I purchased as the FFL & my schedules were kind of at odds. Very nice to know when gun arrives so I don't have to wait an extra week to get it.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buying or selling I WANT a tracking number just cause. I sent out two high dollar firearms this week and provided sig. required, tracking numbers ect.- Just my idea of courtesy. Also had a no payer and man he is a nut case.[8][:(!][B)]
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been doing this since 1999 here. I take to the PO and mail them myself. That way I know they arrived there safely and on time. As soon as I return to the shop I email the customer the tracking number. That way they know we have shipped and they know when to expect it to arrive at their FFL. Hence 660 all A+++ feedback since 1999.[:)][:D][;)][8D]