In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

If you ever wanted a Krag.......

B&G ClingerB&G Clinger Member Posts: 1,789 ✭✭
edited December 2012 in General Discussion
Am I missin something, or is this thing listed for under 300 bucks?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=324102904

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    $300 seems a bit high, or at least in my neck of the woods, but it would make a nice deer rifle and something that you would not have to worry about dropping in the mud. The old Krag action remains one of the very smoothest ever made.
  • Options
    B&G ClingerB&G Clinger Member Posts: 1,789 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was fortunate enough to hae had one handed down to me from Gramps. The ones I have seen for sale, have always been at least $800.00 Looks like this one could possibly use a little work though. Maybe thats what brings it down to 300
  • Options
    RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    Too bad it was sporterized.
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's. Little more than I paid for mine
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know nothing about Krags. Is that an original carbine barrel? If so, it looks like it would be pretty easy to put it back to factory specs, as far as the furniture is concerned.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35WhelenClassic
    I know nothing about Krags. Is that an original carbine barrel? If so, it looks like it would be pretty easy to put it back to factory specs, as far as the furniture is concerned.

No, it is well outside either of the 1898 Carbine Ranges and the serial number indicates that it was originally a Model 1898 Rifle. If it were an actual Carbine, even sporterized and in poor condition it would be of considerable value.
  • Options
    SOXXIESOXXIE Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone has their own view as to condition. To me, this one is in Fair to Poor condition. Pic's tend to make things "look" Better.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This one ended for a lot less than I expected...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=319246795
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't want one when I could have got it for $19.95. Don't want one now.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think $300 is about right on that one. They are fantastic shooters IMO but collectors want untouched original guns and serious hunters want something stronger than the Krag in a better caliber than 30-40.

I paid $85 for mine 23 years ago and it looked worse. I put about $150 in it and I think it looks better, now.

standard.jpg
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...