In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

This is very disturbing.

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
I have developed severe arthritis in both shoulders. Started in the left a few years ago and recently the right side has caught up.

I realized yesterday that I cannot hold up a full sized handgun for sighting. I can barely hold a small, lightweight pistol but not something of any weight. I also can't use a two handed hold because I can't bring my hands together without excruciating pain in my upper arms.

Haven't been able to shoot long guns "offhand" for some time. Can't raise them to shoulder level. Can only shoot with the gun supported on a bench. I guess the same is now true with pistols. Sold my pump action rifle because I couldn't work the action. My two pump shotguns sit there and I can't use them either.

When I was young I thought about dying from time to time. I knew that someday I would die. Everybody does. But I didn't think about growing old and infirm and becoming physically incapable of doing simple things. I never thought about getting to a point where I can't do the things I love.

Before you ask, yes I've been doing doctor recommended physical therapy. Maybe slowed the process a bit but hasn't stopped the progression of the ailment.

Sometimes life sucks.
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry your suffering Doc
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to Geezerdom. A lot of us are there also. The rest of you will be someday. [:0]
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    My mother had surgery on her neck for the very same thing. Get an MRI.
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    Hey Doc sorry to hear about your condition[:(] you and i are the same age , i just /am recovering from a heart attack .
    life caught up to us or say reality[:0] some of the perks of old age-ism

it take a tough human to get old and still have your witts about you
    but when you lose the ability to hold an object THAT REALLY SUCKS

HOPE THE BEST FOR YOU [:)]go get checked up from good Doc's Doc
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am getting there.......I dread it. I don't know a lot about severe arthritis, but isn't there a newer drug that was originally used for cancer treatment suppose to help severe arthritis by helping keep your autoimmune system from attacking your joints? I have read that somewhere and wondered if it would help.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Companies like Smith and Wesson and Glock make some very good lightweight handguns. I have a S&W Scandium .45 ACP revolver that feels like a kid's cap gun.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    I am getting there.......I dread it. I don't know a lot about severe arthritis, but isn't there a newer drug that was originally used for cancer treatment suppose to help severe arthritis by helping keep your autoimmune system from attacking your joints? I have read that somewhere and wondered if it would help.

That is for rheumatoid arthritis, not osteo unfortunately.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doc, how old are you and how long ago did these symptoms start to show themselves??
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Prolotherapy uses a dextrose (sugar water) solution, which is injected into the ligament or tendon where it attaches to the bone. This causes a localized inflammation in these weak areas which then increases the blood supply and flow of nutrients and stimulates the tissue to repair itself."
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't do much karate any longer. I only teach a rank beginner class so I can handle that but it's impossible for me do anything more advanced than what is taught in a 4 month class.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...