In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Columbus' ships, replicas

CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
edited May 2014 in General Discussion
A couple of 'em
NCM_0468_zps115e0431.jpg
NCM_0472_zps4fdcbca8.jpg

Comments

• CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    The ocean... I wouldn't want to even cross the line of demarcation on those things
  • nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

I can't imagine crossing the ocean in one of those.

Then again, I ain't to 'water person' and the only ship I've been on is a commercial cruise ship and it was big. I figure when there is no land in site, a BIG ship is best...with a cabin near a lifeboat.

[8D]

whats funny is the vikings probably were here first and they probably came here in something much less.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I wish they would rediscover the America I used to know. [:(]
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    I wish they would rediscover the America I used to know. [:(]

you and me both.[V]
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Jamestown Va. has Great Replicas That you can go on and see life aboard
    early sailing ships as it was during that Time period also rebuilt entire town as it was early 1600's Both the natives and English settlers.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Jamestown Va. has Great Replicas That you can go on and see life aboard
    early sailing ships as it was during that Time period also rebuilt entire town as it was early 1600's Both the natives and English settlers.

Jamestown is really cool, we took the kids a few years back. Charlestown Landing in Charleston, SC has a replica of one of the ships that settled there. I wouldn't take that thing out in the harbor much less cross the Atlantic in it...
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for posting
    I was always amazed at the people in the past that made a change in history just based on there drive , now looking at the ships or even the Vikings ships seem scary to us , but 4 or 5 hundred years from now ( with any luck ) people will be looking at out space craft and saying the same I would not even go the market in that thing [:D]
    \

just one example but my true hero's are the countless people who fought and died for hundreds' of years to make the country great, now I feel like were pizzing on the grave for the direction we have taken
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting. These days I only cross oceans in jets. One cruise up the inside passage is all the cruise ship I will ever need.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    These ships are huge compared to the ones the Vikings crossed the oceans in.
  • nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nards444

I can't imagine crossing the ocean in one of those.

Then again, I ain't to 'water person' and the only ship I've been on is a commercial cruise ship and it was big. I figure when there is no land in site, a BIG ship is best...with a cabin near a lifeboat.

[8D]

whats funny is the vikings probably were here first and they probably came here in something much less.

That is quite possible. Seems people were much tougher and somewhat braver centuries ago.

Probably were, but they also didnt know any better. Call it tough or ignorant, if I had a choice 6-8hours in a jet or 2-3 weeks in cruize ship vs months in a row boat, I know what I would pick
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw those in Little Rock about 2 years ago. Sailed them up the Mississippi and Arkansas Rivers. It is amazing to think about the conditions aboard those tiny ships crossing the ocean.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I went onboard the Nina and Pinta when they docked at the Dog River Marina in Mobile. You had to stay on the maindeck because the below decks space had the required seagoing safety devices and crew amenities that would spoil the illusion.

They actually sailed them but did have a small motor to dock with. I was amazed how small they actually were to have crossed the uncharted oceans. If you ever get a chance to see them, you should, as they are accurate down to the wenches and rigging.
  • NEIAPredatorNEIAPredator Member Posts: 1,443
    edited November -1
    The brought the replicas up the Mississippi river a year or 2 ago. I watched them go by our town here. It was really cool to see them.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    I went onboard the Nina and Pinta when they docked at the Dog River Marina in Mobile. You had to stay on the maindeck because the below decks space had the required seagoing safety devices and crew amenities that would spoil the illusion.

They actually sailed them but did have a small motor to dock with. I was amazed how small they actually were to have crossed the uncharted oceans. If you ever get a chance to see them, you should, as they are accurate down to the wenches and rigging.

Do they have indoor plumbing with crappers and showers?

[;)]

Yeah, but visitors don't get to see or use them. Radio, TV, refridgerator, they're all there. The crew are mostly volunteers that pay for the experience of living aboard for a Summer.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Visited the Elizabeth 2 at Roanoke Island on the NC Outer Banks. Amazing how small those ships were. Nothing modern on that one. But they do have nice boats following when they take her out.
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a photo I shot when they were here.

standard.jpg
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...