In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Poles denied visas

FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Just wanted to bring to your attention that an Eastern European country that has stuck out its neck in support of the US during the war in Iraq is not being treated very well with regards to visitor visas. As some of you know, I am an immigrant from Poland and have been directly affected by this policy. My family (extended) cannot visit me or my family here in the states. Over the 15 yrs I've been in the states, only 3-4 family members have been allowed to visit us. They constantly apply and pay a good amount of their monthly salaries and are almost always denied to visit.

None of my family has ever overstayed their visa. I'm slightly offended that Mexicans come illegally with impunity and there is a huge push politically to protect their illegal "right" to swim the river. Mexico didn't even support us with Iraq.

Maybe I'm missing something but this angers me.[:(!]

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,110722,00.html

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your plight. Sometimes you need a good sponsor. The illegal do not swim. We have been in a drought. they just wade across.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    seems unfair to me also.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • rcdisrcdis Member Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    frOg

I wish I could apologize for the actions of our government, of course I cannot. You have a legitimate complaint. It is as if your country men are assumed guilty before the fact. That is that they will over stay their visas. However, do not expect any justice from the current administration, they do not mind sticking it to the citizens of the U.S. They certainly will not care about the citizens of Poland, they already helped out; why should Washington feel any need to look favorably on its ally.

rcdis
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, Poland's head of state was here last week talking to George W. about it. He really put him on the spot in front of the media, saying that the goal for the future was "no visas, no visas." I agree. I was a big admirer of Lech Walesa, and the Poles deserve first class treatment in my book. The only thing I can think of is that Homeland Security must be concerned about someone sneaking in, but I don't know why Poland would be any more prone to that than any other mainland European country. If they couldn't get it done last week, I wonder how long it will take to loosen the strings. George W. owes the public an explanation on that one. The wrong thing to do is take offense for being audaciously confronted about it at the photo op. It was obvious George W. was putting him off and needed prodding.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    I'm not trying to be a smart@$$ here nor make excuses for the current administration's policy, but Poles simply don't have the political clout in this country that Hispanics do. It's not within GW Bush's best political interests to "pander" to such a small demographic, no matter how supportive their nation was.

As is all too often the case with American foreign policy, when your usefulness is over (ie, the shooting stops), so's the honeymoon. [V]
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Muerto, you are correct that Poles aren't the priority that Mexicans are. I do think, however, that if Poland wanted to, this could become a political problem for the US (there are more Poles in Chicago than any other city in the world). I think there are a whole lot of Polish americans who have been silent but can be very powerful if they are not treated fairly.

I may be wrong.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FrOg, I hear you loud and clear. In six plus years, I've only been able to get one of my wife's family here for a visit from Russia . . . more wetbacks came across the border in the time it took to type this reply than I have in-laws. And my relatives would go home in a few weeks instead of demanding free medical care, education, etc., at the expense of the taxpayers!

And if we had plugged the border and deported the illegal aliens when we should have - thirty years ago! - none of these gutless politicians would be catering to "the Hispanic vote" today. It's not too late to fix things, but if we wait much longer, we'll be overrun.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    frOg....i agree... not right..wonder if family filled out visas in spanish bureauquacks at disneyland on the potomac would fast track them???