In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The last unexpected day, what to do?

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
This post is in respect to those who have, or may need to make the final decision.[:)]

The wife and myself have been talking about final wishes in our last will and testament. The only blank part is

Burial or cremation? If I was killed tomorrow, or any loved one in the family, and you don't know their final wishes, how do you decide? Cost, Religious implications? I know it has to be one way or the other, How is the best way to come to a decision?

Thanks for the input [:)]

gun.gif
Those who live by the
sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I used to want to be cremated, but I have since changed my mind due to religious convictions. Nowhere in the Bible, are any of God's people cremated...they are all buried. The fact that there is not one instance of His people being cremated, leads me to believe that this might not be the best way. Just my .02[:)] I'm kinda hoping that I might not have to experience either...I'm looking forward to the Rapture, if it comes in my time[:)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cremation for me, save my family some $$$$

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824
    IMG_8700.jpg
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Feed me to a bear. I would at least give him a belly ache.

Friend of mine was cremated. Sounds primitive, but I still don't have complete closure on that one. I guess I need to see them. Then I know it is for real.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to be cremated because of the cost. If a loved one died without a preference, I would have to bury them.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Burial for sure. Just simply because of religious reasons for myself and I believe my family would have a better state of mind about the situation.
    You are defiantely making a tough decision, or it seems so right now.

Good luck

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,061 ******
    edited November -1
    I am with ECC, and for the same reasons.

Cremation is a pagan practice. I understand the cost is less, but I will follow the Biblical example of intact burial, unless the Lord comes back before I need it.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    Put me in a box and feed me to the worms.
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Religion and "modern" techniques aside... Without artificial means of preservation the end result of burial is decomposition. Given the right soil conditions a buried body won't have enough substance to say so in less than 100 years. Then there's the Chilean desert where one might last an eternity. In the end I doubt there's much to distinguish one from the other.

What I'm getting at is that "Ashes to ashes and dust to dust" carries a lot of meaning. One method reduces us to ashes sooner than the other, but I doubt there's much difference in His eyes. Our body is sacred while we inhabit it. When we no longer have use for it, then the quicker it's recycled the better.

Of course that's just my opinion, but I'm pretty sure a $10,000.00 waterproof casket and vault won't much influence my resume when I meet my maker.

Nord
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I a way I am glad I brought it up, you'd be surprised at how many say, "I never gave it much thought" or "let them deal with it".
    Scary, to say the least, when you have to think about yourself or a loved one and what to do.

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    For the record, even modern embalming and being sealed in a casket and waterproof vault won't prevent decomposition.

Those who are squeamish better stop reading now.

In an airtight environment, anaerobic bacteria work on your body instead of normal aerobes, and they are far less efficient. Instead of decomposing more or less naturally, everything except bones and teeth dissolves into a yellowish liquid goo known in the funerary industry as "corpse wax".

Personally? I've got no grouse with cremation, but considering the service being performed, that's unconscionably expensive these days, too.

Maybe there's a pack of wolves somewhere that'd like a piece of me after all my organs are donated. It'd certainly be preferable to paying $10,000 to become a 2x6 block of yellow goop...

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate for an outright ban, picking up all of them, "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in," I would have." -Sen. Dianne Feinstein

feinstein2.bmp
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cremation. One day some developer will just build a Super Wal-Mart over the grave yard and then where you be?
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fire up the oven.

I see no reason for the loved ones, that I leave behind, to shoulder any more of a financial burden than is legally necessary. Simple economics. I see nothing wrong with saving the money for those who can use it. The living. No disrespect for those who believe otherwise, but when I leave this body, I do not care what happens to the shell that is left behind.

Kind of like the first car you ever owned. Do you know where it is? Do you care? Aside from maybe a bit of an emotional attachment, you were done with it. Time to move on.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I want to be buried under a big rock with my name carved in it

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Cremation. Economics, as well as the imagery that I have moved on to another plane. Also, my first wife died young. I have remarried to a woman who I also love very much. I could not make a decision as to which to be buried with . Cremation solves that problem. I believe that any God who can raise a dead person from dust can do so as easily with ashes. If he cannot, I would hate to be the one to try to explain it to anyone who lost a loved one on September 11, 2001.

c

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    always been afraid if fire but have changed mind over course of time and after visiting with friend that worked in a cemetary for couple of years....buried, moved, exhumed, etc.....waterproof....preserved...don't believe it for a minute.in a short time vaults are a water tank..........told wife i would leave auger on tractor so she could plant me facing east, sunrise and all that...tell no one where...she said that was illegal...so if they can't find me no cime was done...she's clear....next option is cremation with ashes in a coke (its the real thing) collectibile & at the reading everyone named has to take a big dip like snuff or they are OUT... NO $$$$$$...see if i'm as bad as they all think