In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Nostalgia

MarnerMarner Member Posts: 2,977
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
....riding home this afternoon,coming from the hunting camp,I turned on Sirius Radio! Out pops some '60's "rock".....man,was that a memory boost! Chuck Berry,Elvis,CCR Aretha,and B.B.......those were the days...now its "Boom" Blam,Bang Whop,Ugh!! Love my Serious Sirius! Beautiful day,low 80's....lite NW wind.....paradise....

Comments

• MarnerMarner Member Posts: 2,977
    edited November -1
    Anyone raised in the midwest in the 60's remember Beaker Street (KAAY) out of Little Rock?
    '66-'77

I remember the first time I heard In a Godda Davida, (Iron Butterfly) on the radio. All 17 minutes. They played killer stuff from about midnight to 2:00 Sat. nights.

This was always popular on those late nights. Ah, the memories.[8D]
    edited November -1
    do you remember when??

1890SmithWessonAdd.jpg

Addfor401Winchester.jpg

LadyChesterfieldHunter.jpg

WinchesterAdd.jpg

winchesteradd2.png
    edited November -1
    Fender skirts!" What a great blast from the past! I hadn't thought about fender skirts in years. When I was a kid, I considered it such a funny term. Made me think of a car in a dress.
    >
    Thinking about fender skirts started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice. Like "curb feelers" and "steering knobs."
    >
    Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first.
    >
    You kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.
    >
    Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.
    >
    When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some point "parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."
    >
    I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed."
    >
    Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore -
    "store-bought." Of course, just about everything is store-bought these
    days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.
    >
    "Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term "worldwide" for granted. This floors me.
    >
    On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered their hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.
    >
    When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?" It's hard to imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company. So we had all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or simply "expecting."
    >
    Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cackled. I guess it's just "bra" now. "Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all.
    >
    It's hard to recall that this word was once said in a whisper -"divorce." And no one is called a "divorcee" anymore.
    Certainly not a "gay divorcee." Come to think of it, "confirmed bachelors" and "career girls" are long gone, too.
    >
    Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I came across the other day - "rat fink." Ooh, what a nasty put-down!
    >
    Here's a word I miss - "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? "Coffeemaker." How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.
    >
    I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "ElectraLuxe." Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with "SpectraVision!"
    >
    Food for thought - Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening their kids with castor oil anymore.
    >
    Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most - "supper."
    >
    Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
    edited November -1
    One of clouder's posts got me reminiscing about the ole GBGD.
    I stumbled upon my last post before returning to basic some eight years ago.

Somewhere in the vast open plains of cyberspace sits a small town and a not-so quiet lil' saloon. Smoking jackets and thick skin are the only required attire. It's a lively place where the house drink is Bob's best, garnished with olives and pimentos. People are quick to pick a fight and even quicker to make friends again. It's the kind of place where anyone can be anything they want to be. In the end, that's where you'll find me.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    and now if little johnny draws a picture of a firearm with crayons the swat team hammers him into submission while the school nurse injects him with thorazine & social services has the parents handcuffed before a judge .........