In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Great,now trouble at the other Border...

Comments

• Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still legal in the state of Washington for the smoking of "Tobacco"

Yup, lots of folks lighting up their bongs, cranking up the Grateful dead and grooving with their favorite menthol blends.
  • Options
    NiccoHelNiccoHel Member Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem isn't just with the USA-Mexico or USA-Canada borders.

Several years back, on shore leave in Dubai, I purchased an authentic hookah and a few packs of the tobacco "pucks". Really great looking piece. Very nicely cut green glass bottom with a modestly, but skillfully, engraved silver pipe top and a couple good quality hoses to go with it. I didn't want to worry about cramming the thing into a locker and breaking it, so I went to the UPS in the same mall and shipped it home.

Fast forward a number of months and I am back in the States without a hookah. I couldn't figure out where it was because the UPS tracking number showed that it flew into Kentucky... then vanished. About 3 months after I got home from deployment I received a letter from Customs telling me that it is illegal to import "drug paraphernalia" into the USA, but they'd "hold it" if I gave them $500 dollars, then traveled to their field office in Kentucky (from California) to request a hearing where they would decide whether or not to destroy it.

Never mind that there is a head shop less than a mile from my home where I could legally buy a hookah and the tobacco that goes with it.

To add insult to injury, a hookah smoking parlor called "Sultana Lounge" opened up (just down the street from me) a couple years ago.

Does that make any friggin' sense?
  • Options
    swampgutswampgut Member Posts: 5,555
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NiccoHel
    The problem isn't just with the USA-Mexico or USA-Canada borders.

Several years back, on shore leave in Dubai, I purchased an authentic hookah and a few packs of the tobacco "pucks". Really great looking piece. Very nicely cut green glass bottom with a modestly, but skillfully, engraved silver pipe top and a couple good quality hoses to go with it. I didn't want to worry about cramming the thing into a locker and breaking it, so I went to the UPS in the same mall and shipped it home.

Fast forward a number of months and I am back in the States without a hookah. I couldn't figure out where it was because the UPS tracking number showed that it flew into Kentucky... then vanished. About 3 months after I got home from deployment I received a letter from Customs telling me that it is illegal to import "drug paraphernalia" into the USA, but they'd "hold it" if I gave them $500 dollars, then traveled to their field office in Kentucky (from California) to request a hearing where they would decide whether or not to destroy it.

Never mind that there is a head shop less than a mile from my home where I could legally buy a hookah and the tobacco that goes with it.

To add insult to injury, a hookah smoking parlor called "Sultana Lounge" opened up (just down the street from me) a couple years ago.

Does that make any friggin' sense?

It's all about random power grabs and control to keep the slaves in check.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    all with the intended purpose of making you grovel to authority and PAY real money for a tourist item ...fees, taxes, & penalties