In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Zero Turn Mower Suggestions

XLpitmanXLpitman Member Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2009 in General Discussion
I started a lawn service and so far have been very successful.

Time for a professional grade mower, that can stand up to lengthy use for 8-10 hours a day.

All I have now is a MTD Yard Machine.

Also I need a contractor grade trimmer. What do you fellas suggest?

Thanks[;)]

Comments

• htredneckhtredneck Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a real good reason why most commercial people use Hustler.
    Built like a tank, and mow like a dream...
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    DIXIE CHOPPER! nuff said.
  • hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the Cub Cadet Commercial mower before and them things cut clean and and hold up very good to what you throw at them.
  • JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dixie Chopper

It will mow real high grass faster than you can run. They have something like 28 horsepower I think.

Not Cheap, but you get what you pay for.
  • jethrojethro Member Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    exmark, the number one zero turn on the market
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cant beat a woods if you do any large areas, whatever you get just make sure its a front deck, commercial machine.

my vote gos to husquvarna for a spin trim.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hustler...made in kansas by the first zero turn manufacturer...best warranty in the business..welded heavy steel deck...mid-mount comes in various sizes....3 years on my Z 6o" without a hitch...get optional sprung seat & tractor type air filter options...i put on a trailer hitch & wife pulls little trailer around for all her projects... has auto size drive tires that i put hd stop leak in & had only one leak from a piece of wire
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XLpitman

Time for a professional grade mower, that can stand up to lengthy use for 8-10 hours a day.

Thanks[;)]

Are you near the DC metro area? My FIL shut down his landscaping business a few years ago and still has some of his mowers, including a $2000 gravely zero turn mower. He also has some gas powered leaf blowers. He'd let them go for a song.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,028 ******
    edited November -1
    EXMARK is what all the commercial guys use around here, including the VDOT guys.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Echo trimmer would be my 1st choice in trimmers.
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as mowers for commercial use, I'd go with a John Deere. Great mowers. Used them on the golf course. The zero turns where, I believe Z750. I use a Troy Built zero turn on my own lawn.
  • 2ndamendright2ndamendright Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good friend of mine was telling me about hid mower the other day. Said he was spending a little ofer a grand every few years on MTD mowers. After 3 of those he decided to spend the extra cash on a JOhn Deere... 15 years later he is still running the same mower. Nothing runs like a Deere...
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience with Zero turn mowers.

Dixie Chopper..
    Leave the junk where you find it. They are nothing but an over priced chunk of stainless steel. They may be the "fastest" z turn. But you will never be able to operate one at full speed unless you are mowing a gym floor due to the rough ride. Pay extra for a suspension seat and you still will be wasting money. If you are serious about operating a lawn care business and want to be able to get out of bed each morning then leave Dixie Chopper's alone. For they will kill your back, legs and shoulders. Had one Dixie Chopper and could not get rid of the pile of crap fast enough.

Gravely..
    Very good mowers. Sticks very well to slopes and offers a very good looking cut. The pivoting front axle smooths out the ride much better than a Dixie Chopper. Has a much better drive line also. I own two Z260's and have been very pleased with them. Zero problems so far.

Ferris
    Bought a new one last year. Funny thing the dealer that sales Ferris is also a Dixie Chopper dealer. He himself recommends a Ferris over a Chopper. 4 wheel independent suspension.. Talk about a Cadillac in the Z Turn world, Ferris is it. You can operate one all day long and walk away with your body still intact. I can not say enough about how smooth they ride and the quality of the whole machine. The only bad news about Ferris is that Briggs and Stratton bought them a few years ago. They still offer mowers with other engine options. But I do not know for how long. If they still offer them with something other than Briggs engine in the next year or so. I may get rid of the Gravely's and buy two more. I am serious. If you want to walk upright at the end of a ten hour day. Get a Ferris.

Scag, Hustler, Cub Cadet, John Deere. They are a few people that have them here. Talking to the owners it became apparent, they wished they had had bought something different.

Trimmers..
    Have owned Echo, Sthil and Red Max.. I will take a Husqvarna any day.
    I have three 326L's and got a 326RX last year. The RX is the most powerful trimmer that I have had my hands on in a long time. Very easy to start and operate.
    Stihl?? I would not piss on a Stihl trimmer if you gave me the factory that builds them. They are good the first season. But after that. Good luck with yanking your arm off to start and trying to keep one running. They seem heavy and totally out of balance compared to a Husqvarna. Forget the big box stores. Buy from a dealer..
    edited November -1
    I sell zero turn mowers and am a bit biased toward the eXmark, but the first thing you need to consider is how good the service is from your local dealer.

We sell John Deere, Grasshopper, eXmark, and Kubota. We take any model in on trade, so we get to try them all. If I were looking (which I am not.. my eXmark will last me many years) I would consider eXmark, Scag, Gravely, Grasshopper and Hustler.. in that order.

John Deere would not even be a consideration until they change the model over in 2010. The current models are terrible. The old 737 and 757 models were good, but the new 800 series need to be scrapped and completely redesigned.

The biggest thing is still your local dealer. Find one that has a good reputation for taking care of commercial customers. Then pick out a good brand that they carry. Make sure that they have a loaner program if you do have a breakdown that is going to leave you without a mower for a few days. Demo all models you like. Try to go in when the grass is wet and see if they will let you cut some grass. Not all mowers will cut wet grass. You don't want to be waiting for the dew to burn off before you get started every day.

Some of the biggest commercial mowers in our area use eXmark exclusively. You do not have to double mow and they stripe very well. I would still recommend them over anything else if you have a good dealer in your city.

Also remember that there is quite a bit that a dealer had to do to prep a mower for you, so the cheapest price is not always the best. That is why I say to get some opinions on the dealer from some commercial cutters if you can. We have had eXmarks traded in from a competitor that would not cut right according to the customer. Fifteen minutes in our shop and the things cut like a dream.

Good luck with whatever you choose, but let us know what you decide to get!

Mike
  • sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    EXMARK is what all the commercial guys use around here, including the VDOT guys.

+1

My buddy has a Professional Lawn service and runs 12 Xmark units ranging from 42" to 72".... I bought one two years ago to cut my 2.5 acres and I Love mine... Never had a seconds problem with it....My opinion only
  • entdocentdoc Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walker is the top seller around here, and that is what I use for my yard. they are expensive, but give a great cut and vacuum clean as a whistle. We use them to vacuum leaves in the winter instead of blowing.
  • XLpitmanXLpitman Member Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate

Thanks[;)]

Are you near the DC metro area? My FIL shut down his landscaping business a few years ago and still has some of his mowers, including a $2000 gravely zero turn mower. He also has some gas powered leaf blowers. He'd let them go for a song.

Slipgate,
    I'm about 3-4 hours from the DC Metro area. I'm definetly interested. Please let me know what he has available, and the specifics.

Thanks man!!
  • sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my Scag Turf Tiger w/ 72" deck.

http://www.scag.com/
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...eXmark all the way. After ten years, I've replaced a few blades and a tire. One hydro pump went bad but was replaced under warranty, even though it had expired. The deck is bullet proof. It's welded plate steel and has been bounced off culverts, trees and fence posts. Not a dent in it. Most all of the commercial guys around here have eXmarks on their trailers. They're built like a tank.

...For a trimmer, I like the Echo machines. Lots of power and not too heavy.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate

Thanks[;)]

Slipgate,
    I'm about 3-4 hours from the DC Metro area. I'm definetly interested. Please let me know what he has available, and the specifics.

Thanks man!!

I have all the manuals for them along with a bunch of pictures that I took but can't find them. I'll take some more pictures and send them to you.
    edited November -1
    $2000 for a Gravely Z turn you are getting one heck of a deal if it is in decent shape. Gravely has the best built drive lines in the business. If it is a 260Z you will also like the Hydraulic deck lift.

I look at a lot of Z Turns when I got rid of the Dixie Chopper and at the time Gravely was the only one around here that had a floating/pivoting front axle which smooths out the ride a lot. Believe me if the machine has a solid frame and dead axles like a Dixie Chopper, Hustler etc etc. They will beat you to death.

gravelyz60.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    $2000 for a Gravely Z turn you are getting one heck of a deal if it is in decent shape. Gravely has the best built drive lines in the business. If it is a 260Z you will also like the Hydraulic deck lift.

I look at a lot of Z Turns when I got rid of the Dixie Chopper and at the time Gravely was the only one around here that had a floating/pivoting front axle which smooths out the ride a lot. Believe me if the machine has a solid frame and dead axles like a Dixie Chopper, Hustler etc etc. They will beat you to death.

gravelyz60.jpg

My FIL's is not a rider. It is a walk behind with an option for a stand but he didn't get that option.
    edited November -1
    I found the pics I took - sorry , it is not a Gravely, it is a Bobcat. This is what he has left, let me know if you are still interested!

He also has a walk behind gas powered blower that is not pictured.

tec01.JPG
    tec02.JPG
    tec03.JPG
    tec04.JPG
    tec05.JPG
    tec06.JPG
    tec07.JPG
    tec08.JPG
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Kubota Diesel zero turn.
  • EZRyderEZRyder Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No one has mentioned Kubota yet. We use one on our farm (so do two of my neighbors). Expensive, but commercial quality with a diesel engine I doubt we will ever wear out. It's pretty efficient on fuel too, which might be a consideration if its going to be used a lot.

Edit: Bang250 beat me to the punch. Great minds must think alike[:)]
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    I bought a 50" CubCadet last year from the Home Despot for $2800.The Kawasaki engine is one of the smoothest running engines Ive had on a mower with lots of power.You wont be dissapointed,especially for the price.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the pics slipgate.

I'm really in the market for a commercial rider.

I found a Gravely 2348XL (Kohler engine) with 40 hours on it for $3200, does that sound like a reasonable deal?
  • garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    I don't know a thing about them but I see quite a few "Land Pride" mowers around these parts. Are they any good?
    edited November -1
    The landpride mowers are good for farms and such, but on a very nice yard, they will not cut as well as some of the other brands being discussed.
  • garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    jethro,
    Thanks, that explains why I see alot of them around here. (Ranching area).
    edited November -1
    Anybody have any experience with Hustler mowers?
  • edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    I run my own lawncare company. I use a toro Z-master and Ex mark. I only bought the Toro because there is no Ex mark dealer around But they are both great mowers with no problems. For trimmers I use shindaiwa 272's I've never had a problem with them in four years of commercial use.
  • edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    I forgot to add check out the blade tip speed when looking at mowers. The faster the better
    edited November -1
    quote:"No one has mentioned Kubota yet."

The reason for that is if you buy anything Kubota that has a deck and mows grass. You will also be advised to buy a welder, welding rods and hire a welder to follow you around to keep the deck together if you do not know how to weld. Our county school system bought three of them and they all fell apart the second year that they used them. They did their homework and have been running Gravely's for four years now.

XLpitman
    The gravely Gravely 2348XL is a big box store quality mower. They are nice for a homeowner, but to work one day in and day out they will not hold up. They rank down there with Cub Cadets sold at HD, Husqvarna/Craftsman sold at Sears etc. If you want it to do maybe 8 to 10 yards a week with. Then go for it. But when you do 62 yards a week and three Cemeteries twice a month like I do. Hold out for something better if possible. The 2348XL and such are good homeowner or starter machines. But do not build your business around it.

You ask about Hustler mowers? Decent machines. Just do not offer what I look for in a Z turn.

Slipgate
    Bobcat makes good walk behind mowers and you have one of the better ones for its day. Hydrostatic have taken over the walk behind world. Much easier to operate and maintain. $2 grand for any belt driven mower is a little steep in my book. Being honest with you. They are a lot of them sitting around in garages and yards here that people cant give away. I also must add that most are Snapper's.

Went this morning and left the Gravely dealer $4500 lighter in the wallet and a new 36" walk behind on the trailer. I needed a bigger one than I had to do a job with and will put it to work tomorrow. The only thing I did not like is it did not come with an electric starter. I will get you pics of it and of the Ferris. The two 260Z Gravelys I have are the same except for the engines. One Kohler and the other a Kawasaki.
    edited November -1
    Les,

Kubota's fabricated decks on their zero turns today are much better than their earlier stamped ones. I see these new mowers in use by commercial mowers and do not see any deck issues on these.

They do still seem to have some of their decks on their compact tractors crack, but no more so than the John Deere decks on similar tractors. We sell both and we do get to see the truely abused ones.
    edited November -1
    Alright fellas...I've narrowed it down to these two. They fit my budget the best. Which one would you choose?

http://www.scag.com/freedomz/freedomz.html

http://www.hustlerturf.com/Web-content/ProductPages/FasTrak/FTPage/FTPage.html

The hustler is a little cheaper, but I think the scag is a better machine.
  • gregwgregw Member Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the KUBOTA
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    0-turns are a novelty.

Local JD Mechanic said stay away from the 800 series.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My friend has a Country Clipper that he thinks highly of.
  • PillRollerPillRoller Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mow 5 acres every 5 days or so. I've had a John Deere diesel lawn tractor with a 60 inch belly mower. I had a poor dealer and every year the maint. expenses were too high.
    Sold it and bought a Grasshopper diesel 61 inch front mount. That was in 2001. I'm still in love!
    It wasn't cheap at $13K, but it's totally bullet proof. Heaviest deck in the industry.
    I've seen them used at a savings, but they were "well used". People don't want to let go of them until they're worn out, which takes a very long time.
    It's the choice of professionals in my neck of the woods. [:D]