In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hey Select this a relative of yours.

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
quote:AA
EUGENE, Ore. ? Police say a man is recovering at RiverBend Hospital after a bizarre accident Sunday morning.
Eugene Police said around 11:30 a.m., the man was standing on Highway 99N in Eugene, holding a bullet in his hand when it discharged and struck his left cheek.
The strange thing is, there was no gun involved.
Police said they are unsure how the .22 caliber bullet fired.
They said if you hit the back of a bullet hard enough, it has the potential of discharging.
?This is what happens when people handle ammunition and they shouldn't be. This is part of the reason they tell parents to keep ammunition out of the hands of kids, ?cause things can happen,? said Sgt. Dale Dawson from the Eugene Police Department.
The man was taken to the hospital by ambulance.
Dawson said the bullet wound is not life-threatening.
Police did not release the man?s identity, but they did say he is in his 60s.

Comments

• Options
    Gun_PoorGun_Poor Member Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pretty sure select was either jiggling his bullets in his change pocket, or gargling with them......with the safety on of course.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh now that's just mean...that's why I like it[:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any body have an Idea how that could have happened. Cause you really have to strike a 22 to get it to fire. Know made enough zip guns.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,992 ******
    edited November -1
    hang fire from couple months ago,???
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How does the ammunition know you should not be handling it there mister libtard frieman?
    RLTW

• Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't think static electricity would set one off, but I suppose it is remotely possible.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    hang fire from couple months ago,???

Nope, Hangfire never travels that far from home.[:D]
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are they sure he wasn't" biting the bullet" ?? ;)
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    I've heard them .45's can't even punch their way out of a glove box. [:D][:0][}:)]

Now a .40S&W. [:o)]
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Now, I did have a great uncle who carried some .22 shorts in the same pocked he carried his pipe in. Once. Didn't hurt him any, but he did have to buy a new pipe, and likely new underwear as well.

Peace

Dan
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a bunch of BS! The bullet didn't hit anything it's the heaviest part. If the cartridge did actually go off then it was a piece of brass that hit him.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yup , pure media bs twist

guns are evil, now a lone bullet
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's a liar. Someone should hand him a 3 pound rock. Then he can mysteriously bash his own head.

The "tell" was Eugene.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    That's a bunch of BS! The bullet didn't hit anything it's the heaviest part. If the cartridge did actually go off then it was a piece of brass that hit him.

Exactly, but I suspect there is a lot more to this story than what's he's told the police. There is virtually no chance any wound from the case rupturing would require hospitalization.

The police sound like idiots with that statement. I'm guessing they won't be grilling him more to explain exactly what he was doing -- they'd much rather try to add to the myth suggesting ammunition is "something dangerous." (Note the included "protecting children" to try to increase the fear-factor about "how dangerous" ammunition is.)

This is some incident with someone doing something stupid (likely with a gun if the wound was serious enough for hospitalization) that the police and (likely leftist) reporter have tried to turn into anti-firearm propaganda.
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1

That depends. Suppose it lodged in his dope pipe and then lit it. Did they say from which side of cheek? Inside or outside?
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only news story I'm seeing with a Google search:
    http://kval.com/news/local/police-bullet-hits-man-in-face-without-firing-from-a-gun

The only real additional information is that he's in his 60s -- that probably rules out some sort of horse-play; I'm guessing he's too embarrassed to tell police what he did with a firearm, so he's lying about the "bullet" alone. Or maybe there is someone else involved and he's "covering" for them for some reason.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mag00

That depends. Suppose it lodged in his dope pipe and then lit it. Did they say from which side of cheek? Inside or outside?

Thats what I wondered.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Idiot cops didn't think to test any part of him for GSR, thus leading to the (misleading) conclusion that it just went off in his hand.
    I think the old codger (gotta be at LEAST 64) was trying to pull the bullet with his teeth, and stuck the wrong part in his mouth.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******
    edited November -1
    It was a case of "Spontaneous Ammo Combustion"[:0]

Rare as hens teeth and like spontaneous human combustion, it burns a hole in a good honest news story! Which by the way is even rarer than any of this bull *!
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no relation from the sister state of Kalifornia. However my Wife has a distant cousin doing prison time....Kip Kinkel..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurston_High_School_shooting#Perpetrator
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a thinkin' one of two things: he was trying suicide, flinched, and shot himself in the face, or he was packing illegally and shot himself while fiddling with his pistol. He then tossed the gun and cooked up this cockamamie story to explain his injury.

I will say from youthful experimentation and stupidity if you put .22LR in a vise they will pop, also if you hit them with a hammer while they are laying on the concrete garage floor. But one going off just by holding one in your hand? Nope.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    me thinks Paul Harvey could make this into a segment...NOW...the rest of the story