In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Making A Difference

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,009 ******
edited April 2015 in General Discussion
Not sure of the author, but for your reading enjoyment:

An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm.

A young man was picking them up and flinging tham back into the ocean.

"Why do you bother?" the old man scoffed.

"You're not saving enough to make a difference."

The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water.

"Made a difference to that one," he said.

YOU make a difference, every day.

[^]

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Mom is in prison. Dad is on probation, and behind on paying fees and reporting. There is a warrant out for him. Their daughter is in foster care, and time is running out. She will be available for adoption soon. Dawnie is the girl's CASA worker.

Dawnie has had several phone conversations with Dad, encouraging him to turn himself in on the warrant, get the probation business behind him, get drug tested and counseled, and get his daughter back. Dad was hesitant. He wanted his daughter, but was very afraid of going to jail. This guy is no hood rat jailbird for whom serving time is just a rite of passage. The idea of being locked up was abhorrent to him. But...he loves his daughter, and wanted to be re-united with her.

Dawnie found a lawyer who agreed to help Dad with his probation case, as well as his custody case, and they had a phone consultation. The lawyer got all the paperwork together and had Dad meet him in person. The lawyer got the warrant pulled, and Dad got caught up on his fees, and is no longer on probation. He didn't even get booked into jail.

Now Dad will take his drug test and if he passes, he is on the way to getting his daughter back.

Dawnie met Dad in person for the first time today. Clean cut, well dressed, well spoken, polite. He has one child and one child only, even though he chose poorly when he chose the mother. Mom has already lost custody, but Dad has a girlfriend now, and can make a home for the girl.

The judge, the lawyers, the CPS workers, and the CASA bosses are all impressed with Dawnie, with her "going the extra mile" for those who convince her that they are trying. This is not the first family that she has helped to re-unite, and it won't be the last.

I told Dawnie that she is making a difference. In my career, the most rewarding days were those after which I believed that my presence, my words, my actions, may have made a difference for someone. It's a good feeling.

Dawnie is an unpaid volunteer for CASA. I told her, "If anyone asks you what you make working for CASA, tell them: 'I make a difference.'"
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    If Dawnie made that kjnd of a difference just once, it may well have saved a child from a sad life, or worse. To accomplish that goal more than once is a fine gift multiplied, truly so.

Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) for Children
    http://www.casaforchildren.org
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_Appointed_Special_Advocates
    "The mission of the National Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) Association, together with its state and local members, is to support and promote court-appointed volunteer advocacy so that every abused or neglected child can be safe, establish permanence and have the opportunity to thrive."
  • Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mr.nunn with a wonderful lady like that , i'd toot her horn too.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW
    she is a keeper to help fight for the kid that way .
    I do hope Karma ( or a little higher power ) is keeping score on her ,
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many Kudos to Dawnie. She is an angel to that little girl.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I've always found that unpaid volunteers are the most useful and most helpful people on the planet. As soon as wages are involved, it becomes nothing more than a job and a paycheck.

Way to go Mrs Nunn!
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some folks when down just need a little help to get back up. Some are scared and don't have any idea where to turn. County has a policy every once in awhile they will give amnesty to some who turn themselves in. Glad it worked out for the family. Good on Dawnie for caring.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    You and your family my friend
    are Top Shelf Americans!!!!![:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good story. Well done Dawnie.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great to hear!!
    She must really be something quite special!!
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's an inspiring story!
    Great job, Dawnie!
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,381 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Wow Dawnie, that's just awesome!!!!!
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great story.....I worked closely with many CASA workers over the years. They were always a voice for those kids in State custody that made things happen when things got bogged down.

Good Work Dawnie !!!!!.....
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations Dawnie----job well done!
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is Great! If more people made a difference we would live in a better world.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    This world needs more people like her in it. A true, compassionate woman.

Reminds me of an Emily Dickinson poem.

IF I can stop one heart from breaking,
    I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,
    Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin 5
    Unto his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.

God bless you Dawnie, for caring, and going the extra mile, or 12.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dawnie, YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!!!!!!! What a kind, compassionate person to help this family out. That takes a person with special talent and dedication. Kudo's to you[:)][:)][:)]

David, You and Dawnie seem to be involved in so many children's lives. Is there anything we can do for the children to help you two along???? Do not ever be afraid to ask. You two are wonderful people. Your making a difference in these children's lives.

If it is okay with you, I would like to know how you became involved in your soon's lives. Adoption or foster parent??? I have always wanted to do that, but could not talk Donna into it. I was thinking of becoming a big brother to a young man. I have some free time and it would bring me some great joy to be involved.I hope I didn't offend you by asking, as that is not my intentions. Oakie
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We are not foster or adoptive parents. We were going to, but we both hit some health snags, which put the project on hold, and then we just moved past it.

Bry is our informal godson. There was no religious ceremony. Bry's mother was a frequent ER visitor when Dawnie worked there. Dawnie was always kind to her, so she asked Dawnie to be godmother for her child. That made me godfather by default. Bry comes here every weekend now, but he was here every other weekend when I was working. He spends his summer break, spring break, Christmas break, and Thanksgiving break with us. This has been going on since he was 3 months old, and he is now 9 years old.

Bry has an aunt who is three years his senior, and she often comes on the weekends with Bry. Sometimes she has other things to do.

I am involved in the WATCH D.O.G.S. program at Bry's school, and besides dealing with his class, I have found a rather ornery 5th grader that I have taken as a hobby. He is very intelligent, gets into trouble a lot, and is kind of a jerk, but I like him. He reminds me a lot of me when I was his age.

We would take Bry into our home full time if allowed to, and it may happen yet. His mother is largely absent, and his main care-giver, his great-grandmother, is in poor health. We'll see.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are both "good people" not enough of them in the world .
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    David and Dawnie, you are both special people. There is a section of Mathew that was written for people like the two of you. Thanks for caring.

Then the King will say to those on his right, `Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,

I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.'

Then the righteous will answer him, saying, `Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?

And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?

And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?'

And the King will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'
  • Options
    Okie MomOkie Mom Member Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dawnie puts her heart and soul into what she does. This nationals need more people like her.
    I greatly admire what she does. I would love to do that but I would want to take in very child and then get heart broken when I couldn't.
    What she did for the kids and Chucky Cheese was WONDERFUL.
    Tell Dawnie that she is SUPER.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******
    edited November -1
    Outstanding!!!! Wonderful story,WTG,Dawnie. [^][^][^][^][:)][:)][:)][:)]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++