In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Zoning officer

berdesberdes Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in General Discussion
Called the local police to find out about laws regarding firearm discharge and a "personal use" interior range in a private residence.
They switched me over to the building inspectors department who switched me over to the zoning officer. I posed the question, "Is there any ordinance restricting the installation, for personal use, of a target range, or the discharge of a firearm in a private residence ?"
I was interrupted twice trying to finish the question. His reply was "No way, completely out of the question." So I asked again and explained that I had tried to find any such ordinance both at the library and on the internet with no success. Could he direct me to where I could find what I was looking for? His reply was "There is no ordinance ALLOWING that, and therefor it is against the law and will not be allowed." ???????????? I thanked him, wished him a good weekend and hung up. So in this officials opinion we are only allowed to do what is written in the law books ?
I'm going to set the range up and see what happens. With summer here and all the "bennies" coming to town, I'm sure someone will complain. I wouldn't do it if there were some reasonable response from the powers above, but I can't deal with "You can't do it unless I say so" attitude. May be interesting.
Respectfully request anyone's comments.

Comments

• Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot some AGULIA .22 in my basement from time to time. They are basically a primer only. so fun and in a 1 A neighborhood!!
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    StokesStokes Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's wrong and if he wants to make YOU wrong, he should bring it up in whatever form to pass it as a law in your town/county/whatever.

I'm quite sure there isn't a law saying you're allowed to breathe or grocery shop or take a crap, but it is not against the law because it doesn't exist. I want to walk over there and slap that idiot.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tend to ask for forgivness rather than permission!!!
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    The only complaint I would have would be if you did not invite me over !![:D]
    With proper soundproofing ,who would know ?
    Ventilation would be my main concern ,after a good bullet trap .
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Berdes, do I have this right?? You are going to shoot in your house/basement??

If so, why the heck did you ask them??

I guess I am so lucky that I can just shoot off my front porch or my back porch. I feel your pain. Tom
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    roll the dice and take your chances.

here, discharging a firearm within city limits would cost you your ltc(and you'd never get it back), plus fines and what not.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    simple lawyer check would probably confirm this govt employee is a self serving IDIOT....I Definitely Intend Overseeing Things....