In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun safe weight

KenthetoolmanKenthetoolman Member Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
I have a chance at a good deal on a gun safe and the specs on it says it weighs 945 lbs. I have a ranch style house with full basement and 2x10 floor joists. Do I need to reinforce or brace the area under where I will have it. There are no loadbearing walls in the basement either.

Comments

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It'll probably hold it Ok but it wouldn't hurt to put a post under it anyway. People put aquariums in their houses all the time and never think about how heavy those things are.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,716 ******
    edited November -1
    945 lbs. PLUS weight of the contents.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on where the safe would sit in the span as it relates to close to the center of span vs next to a wall, would determine how much deflection you might get.

If the joists are open underneath the area, you could easily double up the joists. Glue and screw some 10 or 12 foot long 2x10's along where the safe will sit, and then use 2x10 blocking to tie it all together. That will make a load diaphragm that will support the safe.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put it in basement on the concrete.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The bad thing about putting a safe on the first floor of a house with a full size basement is if it ever catches on fire and the fire department is not there to put it out the safe will end up crashing though the floor and falling into the basement. If the heat doesn't destroy your guns the fall will.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog

The basement is the best place for it, but put some 2x10s under it for ventilation and prevent ground moisture from moving into it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B

The basement is the best place for it, but put some 2x10s under it for ventilation and prevent ground moisture from moving into it.

Most people these days don't have wet floors in their basement besides it needs to set on the floor so it can be anchored into the concrete.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You best support it. I can guarantee you will see symptoms in your surrounding drywall or around door frames. If not sooner or later. Best to place in basement providing you have a solid slab of concrete.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a liberty that weights 980 in one of the spare bedrooms. After two years, the floor started caving in and the safe started leaning a little. We jacked up the house and put a steel beam under it. The other three liberty safes are all on stands,2x12 framing, in the basement. They say that they are no more then a refrigerator in weight disbursement, but they are wrong. My floor actually started to sag. Put them in the basement or reassure your flooring with some sister joist. Oakie
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1

+1 And if you like you can still anchor safe no matter of cribbing thickness.
    I do not think anyone will walk off with it.[;)]
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag

Most people these days don't have wet floors in their basement besides it needs to set on the floor so it can be anchored into the concrete.

Anyone that comes to your house with the intention of removing your 1,000 pound safe (plus contents) will be prepared to "loosen" anchors. [;)]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A "good deal" on a used safe is nothing. I know someone who has a business selling used safes, & he never pays for them; folks are usually grateful when he removes a safe without charging them for the work.

Those who tell you that you can put a safe directly on a dry concrete floor have likely never had a safe on a dry concrete floor. [V] Trust me, concrete is porous &, unless you live in the desert, will wick moisture from the ground & rust the bottom of your safe.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers

Those who tell you that you can put a safe directly on a dry concrete floor have likely never had a safe on a dry concrete floor. [V] Trust me, concrete is porous &, unless you live in the desert, will wick moisture from the ground & rust the bottom of your safe.

Neal

Mine has been on a concrete floor since 2003 and it's as dry as a bone. You must live in a swamp.

What about houses on concrete slabs. If what you were saying is true everyone's carpet would be rotting that has a concrete floor.

These are modern times. That's why vapor barriers are installed before concrete is poured.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    A "good deal" on a used safe is nothing. I know someone who has a business selling used safes, & he never pays for them; folks are usually grateful when he removes a safe without charging them for the work.

Neal

I laid porcelain floor tile over the concrete and then set the safe on that. Bolted it down with all thread bedded in Simpson epoxy to keep the bolts from rusting. No issues and I feel sorry for the poor dipstick that tries to pack it out!
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..We live in a double wide over a full basement. Before I placed my Zanotti safe upstairs, I put a 4x6 across the floor joists in the basement and a "joist jack" under it to the floor. No signs of sagging after about 15 years.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put it in the basement on a 8-10 inch concrete slab to protect in case of water, and reinforce the stairs going down.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll be fine
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you think you need to brace the floor when you have a sofa and two friends over to sitting on it to watch the game?

I have two safes in the house, one that is probably the same weight as yours, a 60 gun, and to top it off I live in a modular home. No ill affects so far after about 8 years.

...But since you posted you must be worried about it, so brace it from below if you want and will give you piece of mind[:)]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    preventive bracing is easier than repairing a sag or cracks or a collapse...much simpler