In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CPR, not sure how it worked out.

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
This morning I was in a truckstop getting coffee, place had a bus load of Chinese tourists and was pretty busy. I'm standing there at the coffee station trying to look pissed so nobody would talk to me when a lady walked in asking a clerk for help with a man who fell. Didn't pay much attention to this because I'm sure if someone fell last thing he wants is a crowd.

Just as I was ready to go to the cash register the lady came back in and calmly asked if anyone knew CPR. I stood there for a second lookin around to see if anyone went out, nobody did. I sat the coffee down and walked out the door and saw a group all huddled up looking at someone laying down, there was another tourist performing CPR. I started to walk away, again not wanting to get in the way when I noticed the lady doing chest compressions not doing it correctly, she was barely pushing on his chest.

It took me a couple seconds to register this, my mind racing back to Iraq where I had to take CPR classes when my legs moved me into the crowd. I knelt down and tapped th lady on th shoulder and motioned her off, did a couple quick checks for clear airway, signs of breathing and a feel for a pulse, nothing. Clamped my hands and started compressions, while doing these my mind was going over the count trying to remember if breaths were still reccomended. By now the store manager was behind me on th phone with 911, I heard him confirming my steps, 2" compressions and counting out. He told me keep compressions, no breaths.

I kept this up, how long I don't know, someone tapped me on the shoulder and said if I was tired they would take over but I was concentrating on the down person. I remember seeing his face, almost smiling and eyes part way open, all I could do was count along with the manager 1 2 3 4 . Heard the sirens coming up the driveway, I told myself keep going untill the paramedics move me off, after a minute I saw the medic bag go beside me and the tap on the shoulder, I Clear and moved off.

I was winded, stood there for a moment and watched the paramedics go to work, a couple people walked over and told me thank you, all I could do was nod. I went in and got my coffee, paid for it and walked back out. They are still doing CPR, my heart sank. I left before anything was said, I don't know if they revived him or not.

This has been bugging me all morning, all I can remember is his face, he looked peacefull.

No, I did not do anything special and I'm not posting this for "atta boys", just getting this off my chest and hoping it quits bugging me. I called GB member Idahobound and asked if he could check the newspaper tomorrow and let me know if there is any mention, I want to hear that he is OK but deep down I don't think he is. He was an older man, 60s or 70s, I think he went peacefully, I just pray and hope I'm wrong and he is in the hospital laughing about the tattooed ugly dude giving him CPR.

Comments

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope you saved him either way you stepped up and did what you could.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    milesmiles Member Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You were 100% correct in moving that lady aside and taking over.
    On an adult, CPR must be administered with enough force to break ribs to be effective 8 out of 10 times.

Scary crap to be sure but if the lungs are not being compressed, your just not doing it right. Seniors bones are brittle and flex little if any without breaking.

In this day and age fewer and fewer people would have done what you did.
    You sir can stand tall knowing you did your very best for another human being.
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BSR, you did all you could. Tempting as it may be to attempt to find the end result, don't. Don't look back-it ain't a healthy thing to do. You stepped in where others just watched and did everything that could possibly be done. Sleep well knowing that you did your best. Good job.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he was in fact in cardiac arrest, he probably will be listed in the obituaries.
    CPR rarely, if ever, works.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******
    edited November -1
    Well done ,Lonnie. Thank you.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've performed CPR (& ALS) many times. Yes, it doesn't often work. (And, "work" means "recover & lead a meaningful life"). But, that's usually because CPR doesn't begin until first responders get on the scene. Wait 8-10 minutes before beginning CPR, & the patient has little chance of survival.

If CPR is started within 3-5 minutes, & ALS within 8-10 minutes, survival goes up dramatically. The most likely to completely recover, in my experience, are victims of electrocution.

Neal
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without a CPR mask you NEVER give breaths, unless you know the person(ie close friend or relative or very small child/infant) and that is still a risk. We have had a couple folks recently that survived because of CPR, but the three times in my career that I have had to do CPR all three had massive heart attacks and were DRT.

We do what we can, the rest is up to God.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Without a CPR mask you NEVER give breaths, unless you know the person(ie close friend or relative or very small child/infant) and that is still a risk. We have had a couple folks recently that survived because of CPR, but the three times in my career that I have had to do CPR all three had massive heart attacks and were DRT.

We do what we can, the rest is up to God.
    That!! Can't be said better,,
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    If he was in fact in cardiac arrest, he probably will be listed in the obituaries.

Even if the "statistics" prove CPR rarely does any good, there is always the chance it may save a life. Especially true with drowning victims. When medical care is 8 to 15 minutes away {if you're lucky},
    I would want anyone to do anything to try to keep me alive.

Your view about CPR may change some day, if you are the one laying on your back, with your eyes rolled into the back of your head.

Or do you have DNR tattooed on your forehead?????

Good going Big Sky Redneck.[8D]
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Whatever the outcome you did well. Take comfort in an effort well tried.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs

Even if the "statistics" prove CPR rarely does any good, there is always the chance it may save a life. Especially true with drowning victims. When medical care is 8 to 15 minutes away {if you're lucky},
    I would want anyone to do anything to try to keep me alive.

Your view about CPR may change some day, if you are the one laying on your back, with your eyes rolled into the back of your head.

Or do you have DNR tattooed on your forehead?????

Good going Big Sky Redneck.[8D]

Usually when CPR is performed, it is little more than desecration of a corpse. I have done CPR on many hundreds of patients and very few ever lived to walk out of the hospital. I am talking about, one or two out of a hundred. Y'all listen to the "Rah Rah" stuff coming out of the Red Cross and you think you are going to really do some good with CPR, we experienced medics regarded CPR as a hoax perpetrated upon the American people.
    Sure, many were listed by the Red Cross as "CPR saves." A pulse was restored, and the patient lived, on a ventilator in ICU for a week and ran up a $200 K hospital bill, then, mercifully, they died.

I do not want CPR performed on me under any circumstances and it forcefully says so in my living will.

Yes, CPR might work in a drowning, particularly of a young person, or in an electrocution of a younger person, and in those two cases I would perform it, otherwise, I would take a hike and let someone else play hero.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good job. Fewer and fewer people try to help m
    Now
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +++++++ on your karma meter...helping is what counts as the outcome may not be yours to decide alone.....and he knew he was in good hands
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All you can ever do is try! Well done, well done[^]
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Allen, do you carry your living will with you? If so will someone check your pockets first? Got news for you, if you go to town right now and fall out chances are someone is going to do CPR and the paramedics will do it as well. I started to walk away until I realized the lady doing CPR wasn't really doing it, just lightly pressing. Once I saw that I couldn't walk away. No, I'm not a pramedic, not even close to resembling any type of medic but I used to carry a card for CPR, man I had to do something. He was a tourist, with the group on the bus, the only ones helping him was the other tourists and it was obvious they didn't know what to do but they were trying. I wasn't trying to be a hero or anything like that, just wanted to try and help till the ambulance got there and then it is up to them whether or not to keep trying. I may be many things, I've been called lots of things mean but I just couldn't walk away seeing how he wasn't being helped. Maybe it didn't work but it wasn't from lack of trying or not caring. Could be it was just his time to go. Then again, I don't know the outcome and I agree with the person who said I may not want to know.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok not a medic any longer, was emt for a while but 32 years as a volunteer firefighter . Done a bunch of cpr cases .We saved some lost most but we did the best we could do
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    pricklypearpricklypear Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do volunteer work on wildlife projects in remote areas. We usually have a paramedic with the crew and I have told him if my heart stops
    I don't want him to do CPR, because I don't want to have to die more than once.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You did what you could that's what matters at the end of the day . thanks BSR .
    do not dwell on the out come regardless of how it ended when our number is up .
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You tried and that's all you could do and give yourself some credit for that.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BSR i've been there , saved one lost one. lost my elderly neighbor, saved a kid. like you i did what was right. i saved a mother a lifetime of grief, as she was the one who paniced. as i maintained the young man till the EMTs arrived i knew what i was doing may not be 100% by the book, but it sure as hell was better than doing nothing. that was NOT an option. as the EMTs took over i was soaking wet and completely exhausted.but the boy was alive.as the emt was pulling away a deputy sheriff caught my arm, and said THanks...i acknowledged him and told him to do me a favor...don't release my name to anyone i didn't do this for my 15 minutes of fame. i did that because i could and i was available. to this day that Mother doesnt know. you did good Lonnie
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are a braver man than I BSR
    I must say that I would have hesitated on a stranger
    Ros

You did good , you have heart
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't they now teach not to do chest compressions, breathing only?

I was told by an EMT teaching the CPR class that maybe 1 in 20 who get CPR in the field recover.

You still try.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    Don't they now teach not to do chest compressions, breathing only?

I was told by an EMT teaching the CPR class that maybe 1 in 20 who get CPR in the field recover.

You still try.

I thought it was the other way around, no breathing that the chest compressions move enough air.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Hands Only CPR:
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/CPRAndECC/HandsOnlyCPR/Hands-Only-CPR_UCM_440559_SubHomePage.jsp

However, both types are still taught:
    http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/index.html

When I was still an EMT we were taught compressions and bag-mask with supplemental oxygen until advanced care could arrive.

That is what can save the patient - Advanced Care. As in a defibrillator, drugs and oxygen. The value of CPR is if it can be performed well very rapidly after the heart stops and during a brief time until advanced care arrives. Odds are poor to begin with. If much time passes before beginning CPR or the arrival of advanced care, odds of survival are falling like a brick dropped from an airplane.

Still, we try because trying is all you can do. Most of the time that effort is simply a comfort to the bereaved family. That you tried means something to them.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's hope the man lived, but if he didn't the look on his face might give you some solace. At least you tried to help him the best you knew how.

Allen has been there a lot and offers some great first hand knowledge.

My mother had artifical respiration performed on her after floating bottom up in the seawater at Acuplco. My cousin saw her and stopped a Mexican man on the beach and pointed her out to him. He swam rather far out and then halued her back to the beach where he broke three of her ribs before she expelled the water in her lungs and came to. Miracles do happen. A wave caught her on the beach in a riptide area and that was the last she remembered.
    What's next?
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    BTDT sort of stuff more than once.

The vast majority of the time it's needed the person either ends up not making it out of the ER or they wind up in ICU on life support waiting on the decision to unplug. However, there are those rare occasions the person is saved and goes on to live a normal life.

Morally speaking you should do anything within your power to save a life, but I don't recommend reflecting too much on those times things didn't work out well. I don't believe in ghosts, but they can sometimes set up camp in your head.

It is what it is.