In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A new non-stop service to Afghanastan

Bubba JoelBubba Joel Member Posts: 5,161
edited September 2001 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you realize that each B-52 carries 50,000 lbs of bombs and they usually go in flights of three the results of their bombing are truly awsome. 3 planes, 300X1000 meters destroyed, nothing but craters. I have seen it. Others on this board may have also.
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    bfairbfair Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just think how many camels they can take out with a load of CBU's.CBU's won't just hang the tree's and take out monkey's over there.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    My wing flew B52D's. These had received the "Big Belly" modification, increasing their conventional munitions load to ~70,000 lbs. I think each carried 93 or 94 750lb pounders.What badboybob refers to is an ARC LIGHT mission. A cell of three BUFF's could blanket an area a little less than 1/2 mile by 1 1/2 miles, taking 15 seconds from first impact to last. The closest description for the result is that the area is "moonscaped".We also later learned that this was the only weapon feared by the NVA living in their vast tunnel complexes. 750lb units are very serious medicine and the overlapping impacts of 18-19 per second caused an earthquake effect capable of collapsing even the deepest NVA bunkers. This would probably be equally effective against Afghani caves.All of these modified D's were later scrapped as part of the arms limitations agreements.