In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Just got scammed on C-list **UPDATE**

Just TimJust Tim Member Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in General Discussion
The police arrested him and he was convicted of criminal littering . He had to pay a fine and pay damages to the neighbor. He took this all the way to trial to see if we would show up. When we did he pled out.

We had a big storm knock down some trees a couple of weeks ago. I cut them up and moved them to the side yard, I figure a 20 yard bin worth. I have been very busy so I decided to have someone else haul them off. Call a couple of companies off C-list and paid to have it hauled off. They removed it all, I paid them thanked them and was very happy it was done. Got a call this morning and a neighbor asked me about a huge pile of branches in a undeveloped lot. I bet you guys can guess where my branches are. I am pissed, neighbor called the cops and now I have to see if they can make him remove them again. If they can't I feel I need to take care of the branches again. What do you think? Any ideas how to proceed? Thanks Tim

Comments

• Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Got his # Call them And Tell them Clean it up In 24 Hours
    Or make the Call

Edit Make the Call Give them His #[^]
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    DNA test on the branches to make sure they are yours
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    As far as I can see you are off the hook period. You made a deal with someone to haul them away and they did. You had no knowledge of what they intended to do.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    Turn the scammers into the cops.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    The scammers probably wouldn't want to be cops.
  • Options
    donut77donutdonut77donut Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    The scammers probably wouldn't want to be cops.

Damn you're faster than don...
  • Options
    legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    I'd remove them.
    A good relationship with a neighbor will be better than hatred over the problem.
    And I'd flame the guys on c list, call police and local chamber of commerce, hunt them down and steel their tires, and their wife's false teeth.
  • Options
    Just TimJust Tim Member Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by legear
    I'd remove them.
    A good relationship with a neighbor will be better than hatred over the problem.
    And I'd flame the guys on c list, call police and local chamber of commerce, hunt them down and steel their tires, and their wife's false teeth.

I just moved into the area 7 months ago and I really don't want a rocky start. I don't think I could be made to move it but I am unsure on the backlash from the neighbors. We moved to a acre + lot in the middle of gilbert that is still a county island so it is very close knit area that people only leave because of death or divorce. I will be calling the cops As soon as I get home and keep you posted
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Just Tim
    I'd remove them.

I just moved into the area 7 months ago and I really don't want a rocky start. I don't think I could be made to move it but I am unsure on the backlash from the neighbors. We moved to a acre + lot in the middle of gilbert that is still a county island so it is very close knit area that people only leave because of death or divorce. I will be calling the cops As soon as I get home and keep you posted

Did you pay the guys to clean it up in cash, or a check? Did they give you a receipt? Do you have a phone record of communication with them, and/or your e-mail exchanges?

Odds are they will deny ever doing business with you; or they will deny that they dumped the rubbish where it sits. The police are unlikely to do anything unless you can provide them with proof. Even if you can "match branches" to what came from your yard to the location where they sit now, you will still have difficulty proving they moved them there.

Maybe these guys have done something similar in the past, and the police will know their "reputation" and will try to put in some effort to catch them, (maybe they have odd-ball tire treads and tracks left on the lot match their tires) but other than that, I won't be too optimistic that the police will be able to do much.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was watching that show "To Catch a Contractor" on FX or whatever channel it's on. This clueless contractor was getting raked over he coals by the host for the shoddy work his company had done. The host asked the guy where he got his tile guy. I hired him off {elsewhere}, the contractor said. The host sighed and said, "{elsewhere} is for picking up dudes, not for finding good workers."

Kind of sad but true.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    Stupidity removed.

nunn
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    Response to stupidity removed.

nunn
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    Your local LE agency might be interested, since dumping like that is illegal.

Generally, your trash is yours. Once someone else handles it, the trash is theirs, and they are responsible for where it ends up.
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Yep!

quote:Originally posted by countryfarmer
    As far as I can see you are off the hook period. You made a deal with someone to haul them away and they did. You had no knowledge of what they intended to do.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    "You can get anything that you want
    at Alice's Restaurant..."
  • Options
    ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by competentone
    I'd remove them.

Did you pay the guys to clean it up in cash, or a check? Did they give you a receipt? Do you have a phone record of communication with them, and/or your e-mail exchanges?

Odds are they will deny ever doing business with you; or they will deny that they dumped the rubbish where it sits. The police are unlikely to do anything unless you can provide them with proof. Even if you can "match branches" to what came from your yard to the location where they sit now, you will still have difficulty proving they moved them there.

Maybe these guys have done something similar in the past, and the police will know their "reputation" and will try to put in some effort to catch them, (maybe they have odd-ball tire treads and tracks left on the lot match their tires) but other than that, I won't be too optimistic that the police will be able to do much.

It would help if you had 27 8x10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Toolfogie

It would help if you had 27 8x10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was.

I'll bet most of our members under 40 don't get that reference....
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly

"Alices Restaurant".
    I'm 53...
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sooeyman2035

nunn
    [:D][:D]
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41

"Alices Restaurant".
    I'm 53...

I'm 54, and still remember the Group W Bench.[:D]
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GuvamintCheese
    quote:Originally posted by Sooeyman2035

nunn

[:D][:D][:D]

You called a brush buster on c list. WhAtdaya. Expect?

Ros
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Free advice:
    Don't hire anyone to haul away garbage that contains any mail with your address on it.

Corollary to Free Advice:
    When donating magazine to schools, hospitals and the like, make certain your mailing address is obliterated.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41

"Alices Restaurant".
    I'm 53...

Older, had the album for years, good old vinyl! Don't know what became of it.

Looked at tree removers on {elsewhere} too. Have a mess of one I want gone. Won't be using any of them, just wanted to see who to avoid.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Generally, your trash is yours. Once someone else handles it, the trash is theirs, and they are responsible for where it ends up.
    Logically, yes. Legally, no.

According to a training class I went through, in our state your trash and exactly what happens with it until it hits the landfill (it's new owner) remains your responsibility. If you hire someone to dispose of refuse/trash and they do so improperly you're still responsible for it's cleanup and any civil OR criminal charges that stem from this.

The person you contracted with may ultimately face criminal or civil charges for failing to follow through with what you'd agreed upon, but that issue is between you and them. The state is the victim and the owner of the trash at the time it was dumped is the defendant, not their employee.

Not that I agree with it, but the legal precedent you're facing is that you can't contract away liability.
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The police arrested him and he was convicted of criminal littering . He had to pay a fine and pay damages to the neighbor.

He needs a good kick in the nuts as well. I'll pitch in for a bus ticket. Who're we sending?
  • Options
    Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs

According to a training class I went through, in our state your trash and exactly what happens with it until it hits the landfill (it's new owner) remains your responsibility. If you hire someone to dispose of refuse/trash and they do so improperly you're still responsible for it's cleanup and any civil OR criminal charges that stem from this.

The person you contracted with may ultimately face criminal or civil charges for failing to follow through with what you'd agreed upon, but that issue is between you and them. The state is the victim and the owner of the trash at the time it was dumped is the defendant, not their employee.

Not that I agree with it, but the legal precedent you're facing is that you can't contract away liability.

I wonder if what you say is a Texas thing, or is it, possibly, an AZ thing, as well?

It's hard to imagine LE coming back to me and saying: "we found your tree on the freeway, so now we have to issue you a summons for littering." But, who knows?
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oso2142
    quote:Originally posted by Txs

I wonder if what you say is a Texas thing, or is it, possibly, an AZ thing, as well?

It's hard to imagine LE coming back to me and saying: "we found your tree on the freeway, so now we have to issue you a summons for littering." But, who knows?

By extension, if the branches found on the freeway injured someone, is the original owner liable?
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Stupidity removed.

nunn

• Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oso2142
    At this point that is still your tree.

These dumping laws often come onto play involving scrap from construction or demolition.

For example, a homeowner hires a sketchy roofer. This guy includes the cost of shingle disposal in his itemized bid, but instead he just dumps them in a ditch somewhere and pockets the money.

If the owner of the shingles can be identified he's the one that'll get hit with a civil action and charged for cleanup/disposal because they're his property. He would have to turn around and sue the scammer he paid to take them for disposal in order to get the money out of him.