In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

suspects AND victims criminal records?

TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
edited February 2012 in General Discussion
I saw an article about New Orleans catching flack for their policy of not only releasing homicide suspect's rap sheets to the media, but also their victim's criminal record (with no names automatically given).

Their stated logic for this is to show the public how many of their city's murders are criminal-on-criminal killings and also demonstrate a sort of 'you roll with dogs you'll get fleas' point for potential criminals.

They say that last year's stats show 62% of their murder victims had prior felony arrests, with 40% of people arrested for murder - and 39% of their victims - showing arrests for illegal possession of a firearm.

This piece also noted that a records check revealed 80% of Baltimore's murder victims in 2011 had prior criminal records.

In news stories about murders in your city, should you be also be made aware of the victim's record?

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's relevant to the crime, sure...

ie....home invasion victim, suspected to be drug related and victim has previous drug distribution convictions, I say hell yeah!
  • Options
    torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    That's along the same lines that the gun grabbers count gang bangers as children when they state their statstics. Remember statistics don't lie, statictians do.
  • Options
    CDMeadCDMead Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs

They say that last year's stats show 62% of their murder victims had prior felony arrests, with 40% of people arrested for murder - and 39% of their victims - showing arrests for illegal possession of a firearm.

This piece also noted that a records check revealed 80% of Baltimore's murder victims in 2011 had prior criminal records.

In news stories about murders in your city, should you be also be made aware of the victim's record?

What concerns me with the NOPD's logic is that 38% of the murder victims had no prior felonies.

According to this article:

http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/articles/4980296-Revealing-rap-sheets-of-the-slain-draws-fire/

where I think you got your information, there were 199 murders in 2011. While that's 123 prior felons killed, it's also 75 presumably upstanding citizens murdered.

I hope for the sake of political expediency, i.e. look it's not such a big deal because it's felon on felon murder, 75 innocent victims don't get swept under the rug.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CDMead
    I hope for the sake of political expediency, i.e. look it's not such a big deal because it's felon on felon murder, 75 innocent victims don't get swept under the rug.Why would the fact that they had no criminal record cause you to automatically classify them as innocent victims - and vice versa?

It's more a case by case basis.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    I have said so before, so I am being redundant, I reckon.

There is such a thing as a truly innocent victim, but it is a rarity, in the grand scheme of things. In my experience, the victim very often makes bad choices or lives a lifestyle that leads to his or her victimization.
  • Options
    Old.22BoltsOld.22Bolts Member Posts: 6,032
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

There is such a thing as a truly innocent victim, but it is a rarity, in the grand scheme of things. In my experience, the victim very often makes bad choices or lives a lifestyle that leads to his or her victimization.

As rare as an honest politician...[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1

When speaking of homicide victims, I have to agree with you.

There have of course been those who were in the wrong place at the wrong time, etc. but the huge majority I've seen - in one way or another - contributed heavily to their own demise.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I know I'm walking on eggshells ball of the foot first here, but here goes. In my experience, most victims are innocent good people that are preyed upon by preditors. The rarity, albeit growing more common, are predators that are preying on their comrade predators and getting bit for doing so.

I know that I live in Utah, and that might be the reason. if so, do you really like living in such a septic tank as you do?

JMO, don't poof me because I have a difference of opinion on this subject than you, I know that it has become the norm to do so as of late with some of the Mods. Maybe its that some people should not be in the position of power, some abuse the privilege of having it Again JMO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I won't poof your post because you disagree with me, but you and I are coming from two different places. You know a handful of crime victims from your circle of family and friends, and when those folks are victimized, they probably are innocent. I take crime reports from the whole spectrum of society, and find that most crime victims, particularly victims of crimes against persons, are not totally "innocent."
  • Options
    slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [/quote]

Another pearl from Mr. nunn. I hope the board doesn't see me as a brown noser, but I wouldn't mind Mr. nunn as a neighbor.
  • Options
    CDMeadCDMead Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I concede the point that just because a person has no criminal record doesn't necessarily mean he or she is a walking angel, but I stand by my point that I hope the NOPD doesn't use the felon on felon statistic to make up for shoddy and lazy police work.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Come on now! You know the NOLAPD is a squeaky-clean outfit, chock-full of stand-up officers!
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where would you draw the line on who is totally "innocent?"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Come on now! You know the NOLAPD is a squeaky-clean outfit, chock-full of stand-up officers!
    NOLA PD is only one agency around the country who includes such info in their media releases, they just don't often include it in their accounts.

I disagree with this sort of editing because what you don't know is sometimes just as significant as what you do know.

News stories are often slanted through simple ommission of information, not outright lies. I'd much rather have the details and come to my own conclusions, not be spoon fed only what someone else decides I need to know.
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think the Media should have access to any of it.
    All it does is make things hard on all involved.
    If a Person is arrested for some Crime and the Media reports His or Her Name then the entire Family is exposed to ridicule and suspicion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by e3mrk
    I don't think the Media should have access to any of it.
    All it does is make things hard on all involved.
    If a Person is arrested for some Crime and the Media reports His or Her Name then the entire Family is exposed to ridicule and suspicion.
    You need to realize that the media really doesn't have access to any criminal history information you or I couldn't receive if we requested it through established channels.

It's called 'public record' and you and I are completely within our rights to learn this. Rightfully so.