In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Don't drive near trucks carrying this stuff

Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in General Discussion
Oxygen/ Acetylene. At the 1 min mark things get pretty hot. Some of these tanks take off like RPG's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG1LGKieTxY&feature=player_embedded

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen the results of an oxygen bottle having the valve broken off. An 80# unguided rocket is the only description I can think of.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was only 500 feet from the bottled gas plant explosions in st Louis back in the 90s. cylinders were found over 400 feet from the location.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stay away from those and car haulers
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Russia- here in Central CA Our Weld/Gas supplier is limited to what they can carry for Flammables with his load of oxidizers. IIRC
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After that train derailment and fire we should ban trains from hauling explosive stuff[:0][}:)]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Dad drove one for years delivering. Never had a accident doing it [^]
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My neighbor owns a welding supply company. I was at a stop light, and one of his delivery trucks pulled up next to me, and the driver was smoking a cig. As he drove away, he flipped the butt out the window, landing it in the back of the truck full of oxygen and acetylene (and God knows what else). I asked my neighbor if his drivers were allowed to do this. He said absolutely not, and if his insurance carrier found out they would cancel him. I'm pretty sure the driver got canned over that.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    while in Germany a bunch of years ago a couple of guys in our company were unloading nitrogen cyliders from a duce-and-a-half. one of the cyliders tiped off the end, landed on the valve breaking it clean off. they found it almost a mile away in the tank park.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Don't spend any more time than the minimum possible beside or behind container cargo vans, either!!!

Neither Longshoremen nor Drivers are careful to check/lock the containers on the chassis. They roll off in wind, or during lane-change maneuvers all too often!!! Even if "locked" on, the locks are often broken, just waiting for a teensy force to part completely.
  • Options
    blackhawk45blackhawk45 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been welding my entire life,and learned early on....never move any gas bottle full or mt,without a cap.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I try to stay away from all tractor trailers or give them lots of room.
    I just don't want one of these going off anywhere near me on the higway:
    92484TheRoadAll_00000046549.jpg
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Cylinders of gas are around sparks constantly. If closed and capped, no big deal. Otherwise, welders and cutters would be blown to bits on a daily basis. They are very safe even with a regulator attached.

Knocking a valve off is the only real danger.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had an Air Products tanker of liquid hydrogen once at the weigh station, tank was leaking. Driver stopped and pulled out a grounding cable and attached it to the fence. People flew in from Delaware on that one. Shut down the Interstate for a while. One spark could have wiped us out for 1/4 mile around. This stuff goes by every day as all of us travel. I don't hang around big trucks, especially tankers. If I pass, I move on. I don't stay close to one, if I have to speed or get off the highway that's what I do. CYA.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Most people would completely FREAK if they knew what sort of things were in those trucks rolling along the road beside them every day. [:D]