In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M16 bolt carrier dimension?

percylltkpercylltk Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited June 2006 in General Discussion
Greetings Forum Members,

Good evening.

I hope this finds you all well and in good spirit.

I am interested in obtaining a dimension from the rear portion of an M16 bolt carrier, best illustrated by the attached image visible below please.

Could someone provide the following dimension to the nearest 1/1000 of an inch please?

Your help would be very much appreciated, thank-you.

May peace be upon you,

percylltk

156682831_34884e153d_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jimkanejimkane Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    welcome to the forums, are you machining your own bolt carrier? They are readily available from numerous sources, including a few over on the auction side of gunbroker.
  • Options
    percylltkpercylltk Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greetings jimkane,

Good day and thank-you for your reply.

In answer to your question I would rather use the term correcting what never should have been changed from the design in the first place. Are we not supposed to be a free country?

Thank-you for your suggestion however please know that the matter is slighty more complicated by the fact that I am looking for a left hand version of the full bolt carrier. Have you ever seen one listed on gunbroker or mentioned on the forum please? If you know of a supplier I would be grateful.

Armed with this additional information I am sure you will understand why I have asked the question.

If you are able to answer my original question it would be very helpful; that or could your please verify whether or not the bottom portion which I have indicated in the illustration is symmetrical to the top rear portion on a standard M16 bolt carrier?

Your help would be very much appreciated, thank-you.

May peace be upon you,

percylltk
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    Stag Arms makes a left handed AR15 and the relevant parts.
    http://www.stagarms.com/

Putting a M16 bolt carrier into an AR15 will get you jail time in the US.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Couldn't you just measure the top?
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Red223
    Couldn't you just measure the top?

Red's right. The top and bottom have the same dimensions. The only difference is the groove on the bottom for the buffer/buffer spring retaining pin.
  • Options
    wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    The reason that piece is cut out of AR15 bolts is so it is harder to convert an AR15 into full auto. A filler piece was made years ago to clamp into a 15 bolt and convert it to 16 dimensions. I haven't seen one for sale in a long time. As stated earlier, it's a fine line with the BATF on what constitutes full auto, by just owning a couple of full auto parts. My original SGW AR15, had all M16 parts except the auto sear and corresponding hole. rather than chance having to hire lawyers to prove it wasn't "select fire", I installed ALL AR15 parts and disposed of the 16 parts it came with. If the SHTF in the future, there'll be plenty of time to convert or acquire the tools we need. Think twice before doing anything questionable.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Lightning Link....I'll say no more.

http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/lightninglink.html

Back in the old days gun shops sold these tin pieces of metal like candy out of plastic hoppers on their counters...Until ATF stopped the process.

Now where did all of them go? [:D]
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Odd question.

You're on a public board requesting that people give technical data to assist you in violating federal laws, even though this information could be obtained in a number of other, much more low key ways.

In answer to your question, that piece is measured in years.
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    I was under the impression that using an M16 carrier (carrier alone) in an AR15 was NOT illegal, as it doesn't make it full auto. I swear I was reading one time on Arfcom that some people got some sort of benefit from the slightly heavier carrier, but can't remember now what it was. Again, this is just what I "thought" was legal, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ben
  • Options
    jaflowersjaflowers Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jbw1776
    I was under the impression that using an M16 carrier (carrier alone) in an AR15 was NOT illegal, as it doesn't make it full auto. I swear I was reading one time on Arfcom that some people got some sort of benefit from the slightly heavier carrier, but can't remember now what it was. Again, this is just what I "thought" was legal, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ben

Sorry to say you are wrong. Any one of the 5 or so M16 pieces if found in your AR15 by the BATFE and you are in a heap of trouble. And while you may get off, why give the lawyers that much more money. Just say NO!!!
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jaflowers
    quote:Originally posted by jbw1776

Ben

Sorry to say you are wrong. Any one of the 5 or so M16 pieces if found in your AR15 by the BATFE and you are in a heap of trouble. And while you may get off, why give the lawyers that much more money. Just say NO!!!

Thanks for setting me straight jaflowers.[:)] I read that a long time ago, probably just misread it. Thanks![8D]

Ben
  • Options
    jimkanejimkane Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    Odd question.

You're on a public board requesting that people give technical data to assist you in violating federal laws, even though this information could be obtained in a number of other, much more low key ways.

BATF sting opperation on Gunbroker forums???
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimkane
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    Odd question.

Where do you guys get the impression he is trying to violate federal laws?
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimkane

Could be just a PI hired by the City of New York.[8]

quote:Originally posted by Warpig883
    Where do you guys get the impression he is trying to violate federal laws?

Through his explanation of why he's machining an M16 bolt...

quote:Originally posted by percylltk
    ...correcting what never should have been changed from the design in the first place. Are we not supposed to be a free country?

For some reason, this whole deal gives me the mental picture of a complete stranger walking into a head shop and yelling, "Anyone have any DRUGS they want to sell me?" [:D]