In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need LEO's to clear this up!

daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
We live in the county, near a city and an interstate hwy.
My son of 17 years says the Sheriff has authority over the county,not to include the city or interstate. The city police- the city only. The state trouper, the Interstate and fm roads only.
I agree with all of that but
1. The state trouper has "supreme" authority over ALL roads.
2. The Sheriff can handle the interstate until the state trouper arrives.
3. The city police can handle outside the city until the proper authority arrives.
4. City police can regulate an interstate (radar ect.) if the interstate is in the city limits.
5. The sheriff can handle emergencies in the city until the city police arrives.
Am I wrong?[?]

Comments

• Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    It depends on what state you're in. In Georgia:

1. State Troopers are NOT supreme. The county Sheriff is the top LE Officer in his county. Say there's a certain State Trooper the county Sheriff has been getting some complaints about. The Sheriff can call the State Patrol and tell them he doesn't want him working in his county, getting him transferred.
    2. Again, the Sheriff is the top LE Officer in his county.
    3. City cops have jurisdiction ONLY in their city. However, the Sheriff can 'deputize' them, allowing them to assist in the county.
    4. That one you got right.
    5. Being the Sheriff is the top LE Officer in his county, he can choose to turn emergencies over to the city cops. Bottom line, it's the Sheriff's choice.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    Cool I'll be the Sheriff[:D] Who wants to be the bad guy[:(!][:D][:D][:D]
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Around here, State Troopers have athority anywhere in the state, but usually allow city police to be the primary in their city, and the Sheriff to be the Primary in the county. The Sheriffs have authority anywhere in the county, but they too allow direct jurisdictions to be the primarys in their area. Police have authority in the city limits of their city only. Let any of them get in pursuit, and all bets are off!

Game Wardens have it all!

Why do you ask?

Spell corrected per the request![:D]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in TN the state boys do whatever they want wherever they want to do it
    the city cops can work the interstate if they are interested in raising some revenue however its my opinion that if your city cops are on the interstate they are not doing their job which is to watch the city and the county sherrifs can go anywhere in that county interstate,city whatever.a law enforcement officers creds read that he is a l.e.o. for the state of tn regardless of jurisdiction so technicly i guess anyof them can really go anywhere in the state because they are leo's for the state of tn regardless who is signing their checks

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I'm in Texas and was under the opinion that DPS (state troupers) had the supreme authority. Guess I'll ask the Sheriff next time we meet.
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hoosierland;
    Officers are sworn to uphold all the state statutes, city county ordinances, and codes. A city cop does work within that city but can make an arrest anywhere in the state even while off duty. Let it be know this applies to a felony offence committed in your presence. If you observe a misdemeanor contact local authority to affect the arrest. Troopers are assigned to counties here. Our agencies work quite well together in this neck of the woods and there are ,up to now, no turf wars.

Myelf, if it ain't a felony I'm not getting involved cause when I'm off duty I like my free time.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Texas the Sheriff is the chief LE official of the county. DPS Troopers handle traffic enforcement on all roadways within the state, but are technically working at the sheriff's discretion when they're in his county. In fact, the Sheriff can bar them from working his county, but this rarely happens. Sheriffs normally like having the Troopers around, primarily because it allows their Deputies to focus on criminal law enforcement, their fine monies put money into the county coffers and as a politician he doesn't have to take the heat of upsetting his constituents with traffic fines. DPS agents working criminal law enforcement, such as vehicle theft or narcotics, are a different matter. The Sheriff can't run them out, but he can refuse to take their prisoners in his jail.

City police officers generally only have authority within their corporate limits and enforce their city's ordinances in addition to state laws. Deputies and Troopers have authority to enforce state laws within the cities, but generally leave it to the police since it's less they have to take care of. Where more than one agency has jurisdiction there are often agreements worked out between them.

I've been an LEO for close to 25 years and agree that this system sounds clear as mud, but it works.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Txs, that clears it up.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In VA the State Police has jurisdiction all over the State.As far as in the City we can Enforce Laws but seldom ever do there just arent enough State Police Officers as of now to do it all, if its something like a bad case of speeding we may radio the town or city unit's on (SIRS)as to its where abouts.The Sheriff's Office ask for assistance alot,plus some people request a Trooper for Domestic and civil cases after all it began as Virginia State Police and still remains that way and will continue to,not VA Highway Patrol.Your generaly assigned to a County and you work that County.If there is an automobile accident in another County the Trooper covering it will work it.But there are cases where some County's dont have a Trooper on Duty and you have to go work it.Especially County's with out Interstate's running through them.

Edited to add.
    10 yrs ago there was a coal miners strike that got right down nasty.I remember the Sheriff of that County had to request the State Police for assistance.It seemed like it was never going to end!.And there was another company inside town limits that went on strike and the company wanted the State Police for assistance and the Chief of Police didnt want to as he was afraid it would make matters worse.The Sheriff's Office was not ask to help either,so to a certain extent I guess it does narrow down to the Highest Ranking Local.Unless the Governor orders State Troopers into the area for the best outcome in his opinion.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
    edited November -1
    Your right---
    trooper: soldier/ trouper: actor
    My "illitaret" mistake.[:D][:D][:D]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    In Oregon, my understanding is that all sworn officers have jurisdiction to enforce the law - any law - throughout the State.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's basicaly the same in Texas. A licensed Peace Officer has arrest powers throughout the state when it comes to felonies, misdemeanors which constitute a breach of the peace and when serving warrants issued from within his jurisdiction. They're also authorized to be armed outside their primary area of jurisdiction, whether on or off duty.

What this means is that if an officer, even when off duty, comes upon an armed robbery in progress it's game on. In the case of misdemeanors he can, for example, arrest someone for fighting in a public place but not enforce traffic laws.

An LEO is authorized to serve arrest or search warrants outside his jurisdiction, but generally an agency who has primary jurisdiction in the area will be contacted and accompany the serving agency to prevent any confusion on the part of the person(s) named in the warrant.

A Peace Officer also has arrest powers outside his jurisdiction when in pursuit of a fleeing person, whether they've committed a felony or misdemeanor, or when their assistance is requested by another agency. In this case the officer does not have to be formally "deputized, meaning that just a verbal request over the radio will suffice.