In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

learning to use left hand

reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I had surgery on my finger on the right hand yesterday. Now I am trying to do everything with only my left hand. Its not so easy when you are right handed. It will be like this for 10 days then therapy for a while. Guess I wont be doing any shooting for a while. It sure is awkward.

Roy.gifGuncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.

Comments

• duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a pain getting lefty adjusted to shooting. I've tried to be diligent to put 20-30 rounds through left-handed when I go to the range, but after a magazine or two it gets irritating so I switch back. Not a bad skill to pick up on though, training the secondary hand in case the primary is ever out of commission, like in your case.

Hopefully your therapy goes quick though so you can be 100% again soon..
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had my right hand busted up pretty good among other things in a truck wreck seven years ago. I had to use my left hand for most everything for almost 4 months. It was really hard adjusting to using it trying to perform fine motor skills.

I was forced to learn how to shoot left handed. Had the most difficulty using my left eye as the strong eye. Became fairly good at shooting left handed with revolvers and semi-autos but never mastered shooting a long gun left handed.

I feel if you are shooting a handgun, especially if you carry or have one for home defense, you definetly should practice left handed or weak hand shooting.................what if your strong hand is disabled, restrained, or injured during an encounter with an attacker? Be prepared and practice even though it may be uncomfortable or feel awkward..

Good post.[:)]

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=84909

See this thread for more comments on using the "weak" hand.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

crawfordsville.gif
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Funny..........I've never had a problem shooting left handed. [^]

Of course, I've been left handed for 65 years, maybe that's why, LOL.

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Thats why your not in your right mind!!! Your a damm south paw!!![^][:0]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Probbably explains his radical left ideas, huh?

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
  • Compact_KidCompact_Kid Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shooting with your weak hand is a must if you are carrying a pistol for self defense. I jumped right into it with my .45 Colt Defender and improved vastly after a few trips to the range plus a whole lot of patience.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    I nicked the tendon on the end digit of my right index finger. Doc said "Put it in a splint for two months. Don't bend it. If you do, you have to start all over again".

By the end of two months, I was eating with chop-sticks left-handed.
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just as you but I am tring to do most everything right handed. I am off work for 4 to 6 weeks for my left elbow. Doctor calls it Acute Epicondylitis. I have to eliminate use of my left arm as much as possible. I am left handed and it makes it very hard to do some things. I am going to the range tomorrow to shoot rifles only though if the weather holds up. I have only been off work for 2 days and I am going crazy! I don't know how people can be off for a very long time without going crazy! My wife might kick me out before this is all over so I guess i will find out how much she really loves me![:D][:D][:D][:D]

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!
  • bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually PaBooger....

NJRetCop (and all other lefties out there) ARE the ones "in their RIGHT mind" because, y'see, the sides of the body are controlled by the opposite sides of the brain.

So, because right-handedness is controlled by the left side of the brain, then all us lefties are the only ones in our RIGHT minds!

<hee hee!> [:D][:D][:D]

Big Al
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always practice with my off-side when I go to the range. To date, I've taken 3 deer with my weak side. All were very close (two were 10 yards or so, and the last one was 45 yards).

I too try to practice a little with my off hand when shooting handguns at least enough to be proficient with it.

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    with dominant eye closed, and other eye closed.

Dang, both eyes closed - that IS tough! [:D]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The difficulty of shooting with the weak hand is mostly in your head. When teaching basic academy shooters I'd let them get to the point where they're reasonably competent with the strong hand, in other words they've learned the basics of grip, sight alignment, trigger control and breathing. I'd then have them fire a 50 rd. course for score, next I'd have them fire this same course weak handed. There'll invariably be lots of moaning about how difficult this is going to be, but afterwards most are surprised to learn they only dropped a few points from their previous score. They find they can actually do it well, it just feels awkward.

The off side master eye issue is also not near the problem that people make it out to be. My right hand is my strong side but I have a left side master eye. I may look kind of strange, as if I'm looking somewhere off to stage right, but I obtain a sight picture with little problem. It's just a matter of moving your head slightly.

Firing just a couple of mags with the weak hand each time you practice only shows that you're capable of hitting but builds little skill. Instead, try going through entire sessions shooting weak handed. You've got to build the same muscle memory as you've developed with the strong side.

IMHO, shooting a handgun at defensive ranges is only about 15% physical skill. The other 85% is in your head. If you can shoot well with the strong hand you'll shoot well from the weak side.