In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bring Guns To Work . . .

Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
edited July 2010 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:"We have summer programs, the rec. department is there, and having people with guns in the building with kids, I don't think that that's a good thing to have happen," she said

That gun may just as well save a bunch of kids and stop someone
  • Options
    45forme45forme Member Posts: 948 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Live free or die - I like it.
    2. Is that near Exeter, the location of Sig Sauer USA?
    3. Who cares? - I bring guns to work all the time to show them off, fortunately the company owner is a gun nut.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Quite honestly since it seems that a fair number of people are killed in the workplace, usually by a former employee who goes off the deep end and start shooting up the place, taking a gun to work seems like a very good idea. Virtually everyone has a gun in their home for protection but I think that you are at much greater risk sitting at your desk at work than you are sitting in your living room.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I work at a college, so even with the Fla law I can't ...

We did have a killing on campus a few years ago - guy came in and went to his wife's office and slashed her neck with a big knife, ran away. Got caught the next day headed North...
  • Options
    53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    A body has the God given right to have and carry and no municipality, government, state or federal, has the right to tell them otherwise.
  • Options
    OLDCOPOLDCOP Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a very good friend who works in a public access building next to a county jail. Her post is at the front door, assisting the public which includes the homeless, veterans, druggies, convicts, etc. As a permitted public citizen, I can carry in that building but because she is an employee, she cannot and would be fired if she did. That infuriates me. The county refuses to alter the policy and won't give a reason for it. It will probably take a shooting or a lawsuit to overturn the policy.
  • Options
    8000fthi8000fthi Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't leave home without my gun. It is in my pocket on my thigh. I do have my own business and encourage all my employees to get their CCW. AZ is gun friendly, it is also dangerous to let your guard down here.
  • Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like it could grow into a state holiday - 'Bring your guns to work day'!
  • Options
    GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can take mine to work but I can't carry it while working. Federal law, no guns in a hazardous materials vehicle. A driver shot and killed for no discernable(sp) reason about 8 years ago, while delivering at night in a not so nice neighborhood.

I treat mine like American Express cards, I never leave home without one.
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:

"Nobody's come into work packing," he said.

The guns will be concealed so he'll never know unless it's needed, in which case, the sentence will read "I'm sure glad he came to work packing."
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BikerBob
    Sounds like it could grow into a state holiday - 'Bring your guns to work day'!

Sounds like a good idea. How about on all work days that end with Y or W??
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    My job has decided that carrying any kind of weapon is an illegal act because we have radios that can (allegedly) be used to call for help, anywhere statewide, and at a few hours' notice; you can have a State cop standing next to you-why would you even think of toting a firearm or knife.
    Yesterday, my truck crapped out in Taos at a little after noon. It would crank and fire; just wouldn't keep the candle lit.
    Thirty minutes of calling on the radio got me a very 10-1(static-y) reply from the base in Las Vegas, telling me they were having a hard time picking me out of the static.
    They were less than 150 miles away, and couldn't hardly hear me.
    There is a State cop shop about 3 blocks from where the truck died, but they couldn't hear me at all.
    I don't like the idea of breaking a State law, much less any laws concerning firearms; but in case I hadn't figured it out earlier-lesson learned.
    We had a guy named Johnny Hyde that went off his meds a while back; seems he shot 2 bike shop employees, a cop, and a State worker with a .455 Webley. Not too hard to trace.
    Even while the trial was going on, my efforts to get the ridiculous law overturned were ineffective; the head of our "safety" bureau didn't even bat an eye.
    Good thing I only tote those sort of tools whenever I leave the house on my way to everywhere.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    question for "oldcop": why were verterans in the same context as homeless,druggies, and convicts? I'm assuming there was not a derogatory inferrence there but just wanted to clarify why veterans presented a threat.
  • Options
    btkbtk Member Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    My job has decided that carrying any kind of weapon is an illegal act because we have radios that can (allegedly) be used to call for help, anywhere statewide, and at a few hours' notice; you can have a State cop standing next to you-why would you even think of toting a firearm or knife.
    Yesterday, my truck crapped out in Taos at a little after noon. It would crank and fire; just wouldn't keep the candle lit.
    Thirty minutes of calling on the radio got me a very 10-1(static-y) reply from the base in Las Vegas, telling me they were having a hard time picking me out of the static.
    They were less than 150 miles away, and couldn't hardly hear me.
    There is a State cop shop about 3 blocks from where the truck died, but they couldn't hear me at all.
    I don't like the idea of breaking a State law, much less any laws concerning firearms; but in case I hadn't figured it out earlier-lesson learned.
    We had a guy named Johnny Hyde that went off his meds a while back; seems he shot 2 bike shop employees, a cop, and a State worker with a .455 Webley. Not too hard to trace.
    Even while the trial was going on, my efforts to get the ridiculous law overturned were ineffective; the head of our "safety" bureau didn't even bat an eye.
    Good thing I only tote those sort of tools whenever I leave the house on my way to everywhere.

Do you work DOT? Were you on LEN or a DOT freq? Email me let me know where you live.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good on them! If it's allowed where I work, I'll never get any work done ... I'll be tinkering with it way too much. [}:)][:p][;)][^].

Ed
  • Options
    bobbyrose512bobbyrose512 Member Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Mobuck Posted - 07/01/2010 : 09:06:07 AM question for "oldcop": why were verterans in the same context as homeless,druggies, and convicts? I'm assuming there was not a derogatory inferrence there but just wanted to clarify why veterans presented a threat.

Good question. I am retired navy and would like to know.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    why were verterans in the same context as homeless,druggies, and convicts?You beat me to it.