In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

COUNTERFEIT WARNING!!! HEADS Up !!

kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Originally Posted on Sturmgewehr.com By: tktm Date: 3/18/02 19:52 For all of you heading to Tulsa for the Big gunshow, this is for you. A group has been passing a large amount of counterfeit 100 dollar bills in the Oklahoma City area. Supposedly they have removed the ink from 5 dollar bills and reprinted them as 100's. Supposedly these people were busted yesterday on the far side of Tulsa. There have been NO published reports of fake 100's in Tulsa. Since these were printed on 5 dollar bills, they will feel real and pass the magic marker test. To be sure you will need to look for the magnetic string that reads 100 when held up to the light. I also wager that they could not get the color changing ink right, so that might be a quick test (but dont bet you rifle on it).
If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.

Comments

• Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saxon, maybe they haven't heard of them in AR. In NY, we need $100 bills just to tip the shoe-shine boys.[This message has been edited by Gordian Blade (edited 03-20-2002).]
  • Options
    pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    Damn, I can't remember the last time I saw $100 bill. They still make those? past few weeks ive just been signing the back of my paycheck and handing it to the clerk at the gun shop.
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Geez, you guys must be living right, cause I see $100.00 bills every time I open my credit card statements.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Took a bogus 100 today,printed on paper from another bill (1,5,10?) but knew person passing bill.They made good the 100 and are trying to get the person that gave them the bill.This bill had a date of 1950 (No plastic strip inside) and also no "In God we trust"Thanks for the heads up Kimberkid,I got lucky,you may have spared others grief.SxS
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    We're seeing a LOT of bad bills these days, most done using a PC with a high quality printer.If you have a powerful enough magnifying glass, you can check for microprint on the new type bills. Scanner/printers can't duplicate this security feature. The signature line on many checks and the newer SS cards is actually microprinted text. Examine a state issued ID card or drivers license and you'll probably find it too.I saw a bad $100 recently that had a security strip, watermark and microprint. A detector pen even showed the correct color, but if you waited a couple of minutes the color changed and showed it to be bad. The strip also wasn't quite right. It glows properly under UV, but it's slightly visible without holding the bill up to the light.These are capable of making it past some bank counting machines with counterfeit detection features and going back out through ATM's. I've been told these bad boys are coming out of the Middle East.Beware.