In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

First Handgun

instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
I am looking for advice on what type of hand gun to buy.
I will use it for target and general hobby "fun"
I am an experienced rifle handler but at this time do not have any
reloading equipment. I hope to not have to spend a large amount of
funds to get started, and would like to make an educated decision
before I purchase a gun. Any thoughts would be appreciated. [}:)]

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Well the time is upon me. Very soon I will be leaving the politicaly polluted state of New York. Due to circumstances I have been prevented from owning a handgum previously, actually IDSMAN75 and 13fister were the first to break my pistol cherry. I grew up with long guns....sorry, I'm trying to make up for it.

Anyway, it is needless to say that I have spent my fair share of time drooling and anticipating. The question is which. There are too many variables to list, however I have at least narrowed my choices a few.

1. some type of .45ACP 1911 variant, prefferably compact for concealed use. I love the Kimber CDP (not so in love with the price), which leaves me looking at a Springfield or Para, I do kind of like their DA 1911

2. a DA revolver chambered in .44MAG with a 4-6"bbl, primarily for walking in bear country (ALASKA). Maybe a 629, or an Anaconda, but what I'd really love is for S&W to put out a Mountain Gun in .44 mag

3. I think I've narrowed this one a bit. I'm leaning towards one of Taurus' Titanium .38/.357 for the wife. Has to be DA, capable of handling +P+ .38 loads, and I wouldn't mind hammerless.

I'm open to suggestions, I know that there are a WIDE varitey on this board, just interested in your perspectives,

Thanks, Josh

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to breed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm looking to buy my first handgun and i'm not sure what to look for. I've been considering a Springfield xd but i'd like some feedback. Also which caliber would be a good choice and provide me with cheap ammo?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I finally bought my first handgun. I have shot many of my friend's for years, but have not had my own. I bought a used auto ordnance 45. It has been stripped to a slide and frame and re-built with match grade parts. It also has some custom metal work on it. I have to work today, and the weather sucks anyway, so I will not get a chance to shoot it until Monday.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, I am purchasing my first handgun soon. (don't make too many jokes) I have rifles and shotguns, but no handguns. Can anybody suggest a reasonably innexpensive (cheap), but decent .45?
    Yes, I know.. I want a 1911, but I can't afford it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just won an auction for my first handgun! Kahr CW9 9mm for a good price. Finally put my CHL to use.
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gun test said the taurus was a buy it,they also voted the sig-sauer p-220 as their pick of the year for .45 cal autoloaders.they reccomend buying the kimber but say dont buy it on the sprinfield

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt or the Super Redhawk in 454 Casull and load very hot 45 Colt loads in both. With 350 to 370 grain cast bullets, this would be a very formidable firearm. I will disagree Saxon on what he has heard about the best defensive handgun being None. Bears have been taken very successfully with 44 mags, 454 Casuls and what not. Even the 460 Wby would be marginal if the shot was not placed properly.

AlleninAlaska aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    I agree with everyone! WIERD!!
    Taurus makes some damn fine handguns.
    Definitely the .45 Colt loaded hot is preferable to the .44 mag.
    BUT ... A handgun for BEARS..... The BIG ONES??
    MAYBE a Magnum Research BFR in 45/70...... with a shoulder stock ....and a 24 inch tube??
    No, I think I'll just carry that .338 BAR!

My wife?.........Sure!My dog?..........Maybe!MY GUNS??........NEVER!!!
  • Options
    OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    You won't be sorry if you buy the Kimber, remember the purchase is for life, in more ways than one!

KIMBER: Pistol du jour
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IOW--Have you seen the S&W Performance Center 629 Stealth Hunter? It's pretty Schweet.

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    Bear gun - DE .50ae - minimum.

We only have a few special years with our children in which they desire our time, attention, and love. After that time is over, it is gone forever, and we will be the ones that desire their time, attention, and love. Make those few, short years count -
  • Options
    smokinggunsmokinggun Member Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saxon,
    I think a handgun is better because it is always attached to you in a holster. The rifle is great, but to expect it to be handy every second is in my opinion too much. If I was going to spend a lot of time in bear country I would have to consider something like a 480 Ruger.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sure am glad we have lot's of Big Bear hunters or those who travel in Big Bear country a lot responding to this. 1983, hunting partner took out a sow brown bear at 9 yards with a 44 mag and 305 grain Wilson flatnose bullets. Penetrated right shoulder, length of body and exited the left hip. Bear turned around and dropped. Tell me how marginal they are. A rifle will be over your shoulder and not as easily put into action in the situation when it will be needed. A shoulder holstered revolver will be right there.

• Options
    edited November -1
    The way I carry my slinged weapons, I can put one into battery faster than I can pulling a 6" revolver from a shoulder holster.

I carry muzzle down, on my weak shoulder. Grab the forearm with your weak hand, swing muzzle straight up and rotate the weapon right side up at the same time. Place on shoulder, take quick aim, fire. Less than a second.

We only have a few special years with our children in which they desire our time, attention, and love. After that time is over, it is gone forever, and we will be the ones that desire their time, attention, and love. Make those few, short years count -
  • Options
    edited November -1
    P.S. sarcasm noted. Sure am glad you know more about us than we do. As for the kill with the .44mag - See Saxon's post above. It was a hunting situation.

• Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget something "just for fun" like a Ruger or Browning 22!

Edited by - competentone on 04/13/2002 16:54:35

Edited by - competentone on 04/13/2002 16:55:48
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Simonbs, if refering to my last post about the 44 mag kill, it was not a hunting situation, this was a charging sow off a salmon stream. Bear season did not open until the next day. This was done on a scouting trip the night prior to season opening.

• Options
    edited November -1
    My mistake, my assumption came from "hunting partner". I stand corrected.

I'd still feel more comfortable with a large cal semi-auto rifle.

Edited by - simonbs on 04/13/2002 17:26:05
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Actually, for big bear in a defensive situation, there are only 3 real choices.
    1. An M79 with beehive rounds 2. A Ruger Blackhawk in either .41 or .44 MAG. Well lubricated with bacon grease 3. A partner who is a LOT slower than you are!!!

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I may have missed something, but the Mountain gun was originally marketed by S&W as a 44 magnum. I don't see any problem in getting one of those. Even if they stopped making them, they sold a lot of .44 mag Mountain 629s.

You may want to think about the ultra-light .357 magnum. Recent reviews of the Scandium magnum suggest very punishing recoil in an ultra-light, so I would have to try the titanium Taurus to see whether it is also too light for a magnum round.

The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    By the way, the new Paras in LDA (Light Double Action) are supposed to be sweet, so check them out. I believe there is a compact available.

The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thank you all for the replies, however I think some of you may have the wrong impression of why I want/need a "defensive" bear back up. Don't get me wrong, when viable my 1895G will be over my shoulder (or in a saddle scabard) filled to the brim (with an extended mag, now 6 in the tube, 1 in the belly on half cock) with EXTREMELY HOTloads from GARRETT or of my own making.

Some of you have also pointed out the possibility of a larger chambering such as the .454, .480, and such. They were considered and debated on a previous post of mine. For controlability and weight factor, it will be worn 24/7 in the field, I feel the perfect combination is the .44 mag. As far as the loads you should check out ,again, Garrett hotloads. Their lineup is truly impressive.

Thanks again, all.

Josh

• Options
    edited November -1
    Let me clarify, when she is held at the ready, moving through the brush, final yards of a stalk, etc. she's on half cock with THE SAFETY ENGAGED, transfer bar?

Edited by - instrumentofwar on 04/14/2002 15:10:50
  • Options
    OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    Please let us know when you make your final decision

KIMBER: Pistol du jour
  • Options
    edited November -1
    SP- I agree with you that most available bullet/handgun combinations can leave ALOT to be desired in the realm of bear defense. However, what some here fail to realize is that it is not all that feasable to pack a long gun (even one with an 18&1/2 in. barrel) whenever afield. I am not, however, going to let the remote threat of a bear attack keep me indoors in Alaska. That's akin to one saying that he's not leaving his home because there are some punk * gangbangers in your city/town. Just ain't gonna happen!

Another thing, I think some of you would slightly alter your opinion of the .44mag as my choise if you checked out http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp

This is not your everyday run of the mill .44mag from Wally-World. It'll run end to end and that is after breaking MASSIVE bone structure.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,666 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the choices you laid out were good ones. I would add one suggestion. That would be a decent .22 pistol or revolver. Cheap to shoot, good learning tool and fun to hunt with if you happen to need or want to do so.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    competentone and will- point noted. The 22 rimfire is a staple for any firearm collection, why should it be any different with handguns?

• Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AS for something for the wifey...

The Taurus is a great gun and the Titanium 617 is a great choice (if i had the money I'd buy one) but don't forget about the S&W Airlites.

I handled both. They're real good looking guns and you can get the wide range of loads through, from 38 to 357 to +P+ loads. The Airlite is significantly lighter though. You'll forget you're carrying. The 617 is not as light, but almost always comes ported, so the muzzle flip will be much less.

NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Heck, for that matter, Charter Arms (Charter 2000) is now also making a .357 in their small frame Bulldog Pug -- and it's ported as standard equipment. I'm pretty sure they still make one with the pocket hammer too. Perfect for .357, .38, and snakeshot loads for the bush, too. You can even put a set of Pachmayr grippers on it if you need a bit more buffer.

• Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WHAT DID YOU GET?

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Haven't picked up anything as of yet, I'm still in Kosovo. It looks like I'll have to wait until I start PCS'ing to Alaska.