In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

avoid the dollar at all costs?

kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
edited July 2008 in General Discussion
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aLr71mSZqOLI

Interesting read, but I have known this for a while.

!BUY AMMO!

what better investment is there? besides beans spam and rice..

Comments

• CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You missed the crop report today. Higher acreage for corn beans and wheat. What was it? Limit down on corn today?
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    You missed the crop report today. Higher acreage for corn beans and wheat. What was it? Limit down on corn today?

The thing about the report though is that it was expected. The flooding has wiped out a lot of corn crop. The whole midwest was wet and dry all spring bringing some farmers to switch to soybeans. Plus, soybeans are much cheaper to produce then corn, and with the increase in price of soybeans they look like a viable option.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know, I agree with buying ammo... So far, it has seemed to be the soundest investment I've seen. If you have a couple grand to invest, order bulk. Go in with a friend to distribute the shipping and haz mat fee. Stick it in the bottom of your closet and leave it there. In a couple years, it will be worth more money. It will stay even with inflation, and as the price of raw materials goes up, it will go up.

Its a good short term investment. And if you end up keeping it for another 20 years, I bet it will be a good long term investment. As long as you don't store it out in the garage or something...
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid

as far behind as the corn crop is this year yields will not be up as high, very little corn will be knee high by the fourth around here.....lucky if makes boot high......wheat acres may be higher but we have lost at least 10 million bushels of production in two countys alone due to hail.....thats not factoring two other very large hail storms in the area in big wheat producing areas....KS is getting wet now sounds like we know what happened last year they lost a large amount of wheat last year due to to much rain...been hearing 10-20 bushel wheat in west KS...thats not good......anyways joking with elevator guy while back...i told him i wanted paid in Euro $.....that all said, think i can avg 80bu/ac on my winter wheat will know in about thirty days or so....i put alot of money into it though....you don't want to know my fertilizer and chemical bill...fungicide twice...ect ect

on edit...would like to know how they know the acres yet....as i have not reported planted acres yet as pry alot of farmers have not done that yet.....i like to wait to the lsat day![;)]
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cowdoc
    been hearing 10-20 bushel wheat in west KS...thats not good

I can believe this. Driving through CO and KS 3 weeks ago the wheat on the west side of KS was horrible, ankle high in most parts.
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    all i know is that if they tank grain prices with the inputs and ect as high as they are now we'll have a train wreck like nobodys seen before.

I know the trade eats up the USDA reports...i sometimes have a hard time believing it alot of the time.....i am sure the gov has never lied ever [:0]