In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Engine Replacement

asopasop Member Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Got a bad rod in my 1998 F-150 and torque converter doesn't want to shift as it should at times. I special ordered the truck and just hate to go look for another. It's a 4X4 if that matters. I'm gustamating $7,000+ for a "Jasper" waranteed eng. and bebuilt trans. Makes sense if I'm going to do it, to do both. Body is in excellent shape as are all other aspects. What do you think?

Comments

• The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5.0L ? how many miles?
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it didn't ruin the block, why go all the way?

I had to put new cam and roller lifter in my 06 Chevy because a roller lifter went bad. $1900 done.
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may want to just short block it and be done. Rebuilding the heads would be prudent. if you wiped a cylinder that would cause a serious vacuum problem and that in itself can mess up shift points in an AOD
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5.4 Liter, 140,000 mi. 4 Spd. trans with overdrive. I would hope to drive it another 100,000 thus the Jasper vs. one from the junk yard.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    Pay someone to rebuild the engine
    change the clutch and throw out bearing in the tranny and you should be good to go.
    use the money you saved to have the 4WD "tuned up"
    my buddy has put 2 engines in his silverado and is almost at 500K miles!
    just my 2 cents.
    tom
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    Sounds like an everyday Ford to me. Everything goes to hell all at once, leaving you stranded.[:D] Put the 7K into a 98 Chevy Silverado. You will thank yourself later.
  • robbie pennyrobbie penny Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asop
    Got a bad rod in my 1998 F-150 and torque converter doesn't want to shift as it should at times. I special ordered the truck and just hate to go look for another. It's a 4X4 if that matters. I'm gustamating $7,000+ for a "Jasper" waranteed eng. and bebuilt trans. Makes sense if I'm going to do it, to do both. Body is in excellent shape as are all other aspects. What do you think?

There are TONS of places you can get a rebuilt shortblock for WAY less than $7,000.

http://www.hitekengine.com/

You could even get a high performance stroker for less.

http://www.coasthigh.com/category-s/4029.htm
  • fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a long block from Advance Auto they come with a warranty and you can get an extended for an extra 150 bucks or so. The one I put in my 93 F 150 has got over 200,000 miles on it. I think it was around 1200 bucks with the exchange.
    Good Luck, Rick
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check with your ford dealer they sometimes have very good deals they have beat jaspers price for me several times
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,867 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    check with your ford dealer they sometimes have very good deals they have beat jaspers price for me several times
    Good advice here. If it's got a rod knocking, chances are it has ruined the crank.
  • BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    Ford may beat the price but will not beat Jaspers warranty. Warranty is 100,000 miles, and it should be a lot less than 7000.
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    he said 7k for an engine and tranny ,,both,,I still think a Jasper engine is over priced.A good longblock from an auto supply dealer like NAPA should do just fine,A 100k on a modern engine is nothing,I have a ford windstar with over 300k and still going strong,the last one I had I gave away to a needy soul when it rolled over 500k and there still driving it every day.Any modern engine should get between 3 to 5 hundred thousand miles on it before it needs to be rebuilt as long as you keep the oil and filter changed
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    seven G is more than the pickup is worth aint it?