In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Flooding in Minot, ND

catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
The mouse river here in Minot is about to break over it's dikes and levies. The city and Army Corps of Engineers has been working non stop trying to build them up but the water is rising too quickly. Most of the lower lying houses and businesses have been mandatory evaced. My place is about a quarter mile north of the evac boundary and up a slight hill so I should be safe. I'm also taking in a few 'refugees' that live closer to the river than I do. I just spent the last 6 hours filling sand bags and sandbagging a friend of mine's house. We'll see what the morning brings.

Comments

• Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they are cranking open the spillway gates on Garrison Dam in the morn, First time in history.....not sure if oahe is going to have to do the same been watching the dam levels on the corps web site and at one time water in the garrison was about 6" from going over top the gates and Oahe was little less than a foot from going over the top of spillway gates....they are going to open Oahe up to dump 150Kcubic feet/sec in couple days guess all them are going to opened up atleast that much soon
  • Options
    RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    May the Lord be with y'all up there.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's all that empty into? the DesMoinse?
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    I have my water wings on. I'm just a little pissed that the air base is still running normal ops instead of assisting with sandbagging or other relief efforts. Or, maybe even opening up some hangar space and throwing out some cots to take the stress off the evacuation shelters. One would think. Hell, half the base is flooded.
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cap, it will go down the Missouri and dump into the Mississippi......these are like the 4th 5th and 6th largest dams in the united states.....i think Oahe is the largest rolled earth dam in north America.

heres a pic of emergency spillway at Oahe.
    http://www.disasterrecovery.sd.gov/maps/Jun27-28/Oahe Dam Emergency Spillway-a010_28may11_006_16839.jpg