In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Moose on the loose

ysacresysacres Member Posts: 294 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion

Comments

• ysacresysacres Member Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The area I live in is dryland farm ground with rolling hills, every now and again we see some elk cruz through, maybe a cougar, seen a bear once. I do have good cover for deerFor the last too days their has bein a cow and calf Moose about a mile down the road at my neighbors house eating on their apple trees, Big buzz around the neighborhood.I Loaded up the Cannon AE1 and shot 24 times at em, Lots of meat in my photo album.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They may be unusual out there on the Left Coast but around here (NH) they're more of a hazard. Stupid things lumber across the roads and don't think anything of trying to stop a vehicle with their bodies. And they sure do . . . cars & trucks look they were run into a stone wall. Had a buddy damn near killed when the antler came throught the windshield. Made for some tasty eating . . . enough to offset the collision deductible . . . .
  • ysacresysacres Member Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IconoclastDo you have a general season up there in NHOut on the left coast(WA)we have a drawing and not to many permits given out, looking at the size of the cow critter I would not want to pack her outa the canyon.She aint to scared of humans, we sat around drinking adult beverage and takeing pic's & videos all afternoon
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ysacres, it's a permit system here as well. One submits a $20 fee to be in a lottery. Some guys have plunked down $400 over the last 20 years w/o winning one. Permit allows winner & partner to hunt a particular area. Success rate is very high - partly because of their population and partly because the hunters are diligent in scouting & not wasting any of the brief season. As to hauling them out, there are one or two guys in the state that will help with the chore, using horses or skidders. I sure wouldn't want to try & pack the meat out all on my lonesome! Don't know the exact number of permits allowed, but certainly the moose has gone from endangered to endangering. The next worst thing after having them as a traffic hazard is when one of the dummies wanders out into public & all the #$%^&* tourists jam on their brakes & pile out of their cars to marvel & photograph. More than a few accidents then, as well. I've had them in my back yard many times. Awesome beasts, almost regal in their bulk, but definitely the dunces of the NH forests.
  • XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Yeah, Iconoclast.....same in Maine.The success rate is high for two reasons:1) Moose are stupid. Probably the stupidest game animal in the U.S.2) For such a large animal, they have suprisingly little vitality. They take down pretty easily.They re-opened the Moose season in Maine about 20 years ago (after having been closed for 50 years). A buddy of mine got a permit in the first Moose lottery. He got his moose....said it was as challenging as shooting a cow.
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that's cool ysacres about the moose every once in a while a buffalo gets loose from the tribe near me. been hearing reports of mountain lions along the missouri river which is only 10miles cross country from me,i havent seen one yet though. also now and again have an elk roaming the country side that got away from the tribe also. been couple people swear they have seen a couple wolves here also. doc
    I dont give my guns without somebody getting hurt!