In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Two Way Radio/Ham Guys,Gals??

NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
edited April 2006 in General Discussion
I just got a new portable radio (Which was way overdue)and we switched us to the Icom because its digital capable, and supposed to be a better than Motorola? Here's my question, if Radio Service programed the Recieve (RX)at the correct frequency say 155.340 with the wrong Transmit (TX)say it was supposed to be 150.070 and they programed 151.070, would you still recieve on the right frequency but not be able to transmitt correctly Im sure. I just wonder with the correct recieve DPL tone will it pick up? The radio guys wont be back until monday and I cant wait that long for an answer??

Comments

• Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    From my experience you are correct. Being on the wrong frequency is being on the wrong frequency, regardless of the privacy (DPL?) tone.
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    If a single radio was misprogramed, it will revice all of the other transmissions on 155.340 from the other correct radios.

But your transmissions will not be recieved by the other radios!

Because the bad transmit freq of 151.070 will not trip the repeaters to re-broadcast your call.
    KD5JMH
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks trfox for your answer I didnt ask it as well as I should have. IMACLONE_2 you hit the nail on the head that was what I was trying to ask but couldnt explain myself any better. I think you are exactly right it will recieve correctly but not transmit correctly. Thanks to you both KA5367.[;)]
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Hey guys, what's an easy and quick way to get my basic Ham license? Years ago I purchased an inexpensive but nice little handheld ham radio (analog) and I would really like to get on the air.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    yup, you be screwed. all three factors of the freq or channel have to be accurate, tx rx and ctcss(pl/dpl are trademarked and "technically" only applicable to moto radios)

also, if its a trunked system, which i doubt given that you referenced VHF freq's and i wasnt aware you could trunk vhf, all the trunk freq's need to be programmed accuratley or it wont work

KBIMOB
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as you have the correct RX freq. and the correct DPL/PL you would be able to recieve. If you have the correct RX freq. and the wrong DPL/PL you can still recieve if you put your radio in monitor.(Considering whoever programmed the radio programmed one of the buttons to be a monitor button.)
    And whoever told you a Icom was better than a Motorola was just trying to justify buying you a lower tier radio. Motorola makes several different digital handhelds as well as mobiles.
    Icom is a good radio,,Just not as good as a Motorola.
    Icom is a lot cheaper. So it is probably the best bang for the buck. But it's not as good and overall durable as the Motorola.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You may be right,but the Icoms are much nicer radio's than the old Motorola's we used to have. There are many different type of trunked radio systems Icom being one of them, most all radios are capable of trunking today. One Agency I know uses the APCO system with Kenwood radios. We will be going digital by the end of 2007 and these are digital capable but our mobiles are not. I dont know if these new Icoms are temporary replacements or if they will be used when they change our Mobiles. We use a multi-Duplex system with encoding to identify the radio as soon as its keyed up it sends a tone to identify the radio number.No matter how many units key up at once the computer identifies an open channel but its still all broadcast on the same frequency.The trunked systems I know of use 800MHz, and ours work very much like a trunked system but different repeaters are used, and you hit the closest one then its rebroadcast to our frequency regardless of which repeater. I think the Icom deal has alot to do with Military contracts, the Troops seem to like them very well. I would rather stay with Kenwood but there not competing very well at the moment with other radio features and prices. Ive checked out all of the programed frequency's and they do work ok. It was just a question that came to mind with all of todays coded squelch,DPL tones,PL tones and CTCSS codes. I couldnt wait until monday to ask one of the radio tech's. These do have some features Im not familiar with. But they did make sure we knew the basics.
    tr fox check out the FCC page about obtaining a License then after you pay their fee you will be assigned a frequency range and a Radio ID number. Trust me get the License because the FCC can fine you big time if you dont have one and other Ham users get really irate with what is refered to as radio pirates. They pay good money for their frequency's and dont want someone using the channels they paid good money for. I wish I could be of more help, but I dont know alot about Ham radio. I do believe one requirement is to know Morse code.
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I completely agree the new Icoms are nicer than old Motorolas.
    The radio industry is in a very fast paced stage right now.
    State of the art today can easily be obselete tomorrow.