In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Daniel Pearl Confirmed Dead

BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Tom Brokaw just interrupted programming to announce that the FBI, the State Department, and the Wall Street Journal have all confirmed that Daniel Pearl is dead.They apparently recieved an anonymous video tape accompanied by a mocking letter, showing an emaciated and bloody Pearl being beaten, and then finally shot.They're still waiting for his pregnant wife to be fully briefed before they release any more information.

Comments

• PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This post struck me as something that's been percieved as a new idea. That people in war zones sometimes actually die. Everybody the world over will now know Daniel Pearl's name because there's some video of him in captivity along with an interview. Many people in this country find it appalling that somebody on our side gets killed. I remember a story in which a special forces guy got his leg hurt in a gun battle, and it made the evening news! I have to wonder if the "information age" is not everything we think it is. Reporters come on t.v. and tell of a few casualties and the publics' response is something like "how can this be?" I wonder how different things would have been if this kind of reporting and presentation had been possible in WWll, Korea, or Viet Nam. In those wars the news of casualties was expected. Today some find it "shocking" that such things can and do happen. Have we been so conditioned by smart bombs and video game-like footage that we expect our wars/conflicts to be that clean and neat?
    Politicians, like diapers, should be changed often and for the same reason.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were in fact reporters in Nam and one of the things that destroyed American support for the war was the reporting. That and the imaginary numbers of enemy dead that were released.
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pup,I know what you're saying.He Dog beat me to it.I remember coming home from school and hearing the daily death toll.Call me shallow but I'd rather have this fluff than to hear about the volume of dead GIs any day of the week.
  • PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sxsman.....I remember the reports too, although I was only 8-10 yrs old. I was just trying to suggest that we as a society have become hyper-sensitive to such newscasts. Don't anybody misunderstand me here, I'm not talking about not caring if our soldiers get hurt or killed. Nobody would ever want that to happen if it could be avoided. I just think that when it does happen it should be met with a moment of reflection or prayer and not with surprise.
    Politicians, like diapers, should be changed often and for the same reason.
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pup,I agree with you.I find as I get older that I have a deeper appreciation for life and death.I wasn't disagreeing with you.I'm seldom surprised anymore.I was wrong about Pearl though.Something didn't feel "right" about his kidnaping,thought it may have been staged.Looks like I was very wrong.SxS
    edited November -1
    I too agree it is tragic, for Pearl and his wife. It should not have happened. Like old Sxsman, I seem to feel it more as I get older. I also agree however that anyone going into a war zone should not be surprised that there is a war going on, and that they might get shot at or worse. Press credentials don't mean much to bullets or terrorists. The people that did this are the worst of the worst, like 9-11. Sadly, they too, clearly think god is on their side and they are the good guys. It is a hard old world ain't it?
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    I know some people think the press are a bunch of worthless *.And at times, I'm sure they're right.The guy may or may not have been stupid. He took a risk in the name of journalism. The dice rolled snake-eyes.But what he was doing was one of the big things that seperates us from The People's Republic of China. He was protecting our freedom of the press, and he just happened to be doing it in a hostile environment.From the way some people talk, you'd think he just wandered in like a schmuck and got captured in a drug-deal in the red-light district.He was out there beating the bushes in search of the real story. And he had more balls than I do. And more than most of those who put him down.And I dont know about you, but I can deal with a paper full of opinons I dont agree with as opposed to an American version of Pravda any day.I dont know the man's politics. I dont much care, and I dont think it really matters.I'll pray for his wife and his unborn child, who'll never know his father. If you're disposed towards that sort of thing, I suggest you do the same.[This message has been edited by Bullzeye (edited 02-21-2002).]
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I KINDA FEEL LIKE THE TOM BERINGER CHARACHTER IN PLATOON WHEN THEY FIND THE MISSING GUY AND HE SAYS THOSE MOTHER....IS ANYBODY ELSE TIRED OF BEING NICE?WE NEED TO MAKE SUCH A TERRIBLE EXAMPLE OF SOMEONE THAT THEY WILL BE TERRIFIED TO ACT.WHEN THEY HAD THE SERVICE OF THAT GREEN BERET THAT WAS KILLED I LISTENED TO IT ON THE RADIO IN MY TRUCK MY EYES TEARED AND MY KNUCKLES TURNED WHITE.I THINK FOR EVERY ONE OF OURS KILLED WE NEED ABOUT 10O,000 OF THEM AND I AINT REAL PARTICULAR WHO.WALT THE OUTRAGED
    SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • 223believer223believer Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A thought on the subject:"Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter." -Thomas Jefferson, "Letter to Col. Edward Carrington", January 16, 1787
  • ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The most recent reports claim that Pearl's throat was slit and the act was videotaped.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye, could you please explain how a journalist in a non-combat role was protecting my freedom of the press?
    AlleninAlaska
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye:"...he just wandered in like a schmuck and got captured in a drug-deal in the red-light district."A guy with a name like PEARL, wandering around in a muslim enclave, during a holy war.Yup, schmuck is the perfect word.And don't you worry about your rights, you don't have any. You're not even old enough to buy a beer. We adults will watch out for you.Clouder..
    edited November -1
    Pearl was putting his own * on the line in a war zone for the purpose of bringing us news stories. Like Edward R. Murrow and the war correspondents.I call that protecting our freedom of the press. I dont care what you call it.The man was risking death so you wouldnt have to base everything you know about the world on what the government told you. That's what seperates us from Cuba.And ndbilly was right.Apparently the latest news is that they slit his throat and videotaped him gasping and bleeding to death.Bastards. Just another reason why we should plaster the middle east until it's got a thick coat of glowing radioactive glass. [This message has been edited by Bullzeye (edited 02-22-2002).]
  • blazeblaze Member Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullz he was putting his * on the line for the almighty greenbacks, freedom of the press ? he wasnt in the US, so I doubt he was granted any freedom of anything in Pakistan.
    edited November -1
    Bullz, I believe you are confusing the two journalists Edward R. Murrow and Alfred E. Newman.
  • Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Arab lovers take notice.
    edited November -1
    He Dog:Touche You'd think I'd know that after the radio station I worked at won the Edward R. Murrow award for it's coverage of the Diallo trial.blaze:I cant even figure out what the hell you are trying to say. But I'm pretty sure you said something dumb.Patrick Odle:Of what?
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find it interesting that CNN will not air the video tape of Pearl being executed....but will show our servicemen being dragged through the streets of Mogadishu defiled by mobs. Not that I want to see either one...just seems like a double set of standards....
    edited November -1
    bullzyeOf Arabs or if you happen to be one,look in the mirrow. now before you launch your barrage, in an effort to enlighten me let me disclose that I spent a tour of duty in kadoffy land while King Idris was still at the helm. Or if you need further proof check with any of the regular joes that was in saudiduring desert storm. I have no political pressure resting on me to make any arab into something he is not or every will be.
  • instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because, while we fight for freedom, hey we signed up. They fight for the Pullitzer. Bullz, I know you think you know what you're talking about, but until you've had a reporter buzzing around you while you were working (and your job just happened to be delivering death and destruction to some godless bastards) I don't want to hear it. Living in muck and filth, eating MRE's, and busting your * everyday (I'm not complaining I love my job and take much pride in what I do... I've re-upped once and I do it again in two weeks), while some pampered * reporter runs around getting in the way. You deal with that sh*t! Do you have any idea what a poor effect that can have on soldiers. And as for showing pictures of our dead being drug through the streets by those who are not worthy to grace the soles of a mans jungle boots, even if they took the form of dung.... need I bring up Geraldo or any other such whoremonger of a "reporter" after nothing more than their fame and fortune. They idolize that s**t. He died doing his job what he loved....bull s**t, if that was the case then why not give credit where credit is due. To the men who volunteer to watch their partners back and not leave a fallen comrade. Wake up....My sympathies to his wife and child....but if you want to run with the big dogs you have to accept the fact you might get bit.
    The world is full of sheep, run with the wolves and make 'em call ya daddy
    edited November -1
    I understand what you are saying, InstrumentofWar, but I really dont think Pearl was trying to do a Geraldo.Patrick Odle: I couldnt sort through your miserable grammar to figure out what you were trying to say. Please try your call again later.As for the video of Randy Shughart, Gary Gordon, and Bill Cleveland (yes, they do have names) being dragged through the streets of Mog, it accomplished the goal of proving to the entire country what a bunch of revolting little savages the Somali people were.As for whether it wasnt right to show the video, I'm not sure.
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something to think about....The media has imortalized the photos of the Kent State shooting victums, the pictures of the Vietnamese prisoner being shot in the head while on his knees, Rodney King being beaten...all were used to influence public opinion. What influence would Pearl's taped execution have on the public?....
  • gus mccrae TRgus mccrae TR Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's interesting to me that all the journalists have been referring to him as "One of our own". I wonder how they referred to the soldiers that have died so far? I guess that wasn't "newsworthy" enough. Has anyone heard their names mentioned? Just an observation.
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pearl's wife and family have my sympathy. That being said, he was making a hell of a lot more money than the soldiers over there who are fighting each day, FOR US. He also had a choice of whether or not to go there, and he went.By the way, "grammar expert" Bullz, it's not "seperate", it's "separate". (No offense). Ta, I'm off to the Globe in Milwaukee to see my pals Bender rock out, then we can all have another music argument! Benderdirect.com
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I AM NOT A DIPLOMATIC PERSON SO HERE GOES.I DONT GIVE A FLYING RATS * WHY HE WAS THERE.MONEY,PULITZER??WHO CARES?IF IT WAS SARAH BRADY HERSELF THEY GOT I DONT CARE.THIS WAS AN AMERICAN,AN AMERICAN.AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED THAT MADE HIS LIFE WORTH 100,000 OF THEIRS.I DONT CARE IF HE AGREED WITH MY POLITICAL VIEWS.I MAY DISAGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAY BUT I WOULD FIGHT TO THE DEATH TO DEFEND YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT.HE WAS AN AMERICAN AND THAT IS WHY YOU SHOULD BE OUTRAGED.YOU BRING UP VIETNAM,WELL BY GOD IM A VET AND I GET WHITE KNUCKLE PISSED ANYTIME ONE OF MY BROTHERS IN ARMS DIES AT THE HAND OF SOME JERK OFF,BE IT AT THE HAND OF SOMOLIANS OR OUR VERY OWN PRESIDENT,WHO DOESNT INTEREST ME.WHAT WE ARE GOING TO DO TO GET SOME PAYBACK DOES
    SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • blazeblaze Member Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullz, let me see if what I was saying can be made simple for you, he was there for the money he would make, he wasn't over there to protect our freedom of the press, & for the not being in the us comment, well he wasnt a citizen of Pakistan where most people hate americans, so what kind of rights does he have in a foreign land ? those damn reporters get on my nerves, like an ambulance chaser trying to find something sensational to report, some story to make a name for themselves, I have sympathy for his family, but when you go to interview these stupid * people full of hate for americans, does it never cross into your mind they might hurt you ?
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right you are, Blaze. It's difficult to think beyond ones'own experiences. That is bourne out when Americans go into dangerous countries presuming the rights and protection of law and order they enjoy at home. As a Jew voluntarily going in an area of passionate hate for Jews showed not only audacity but stupid presumption. I wonder if the same fate would have befallen a non-Jewish reporter. Note that he had an Israeli wife. It is not known at this point whether he was also an Israeli agent as claimed by his captors. In any event he should have known about his extreme risk. In the military you are taught that being out of uniform in hostile territory can get you this kind of treatment. Maybe that's why in WW2 and Korea, reportere wore Army uniforms with special insignia.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right you are, Blaze. It's difficult to think beyond ones'own experiences. That is bourne out when Americans go into dangerous countries presuming the rights and protection of law and order they enjoy at home. As a Jew voluntarily going in an area of passionate hate for Jews showed not only audacity but stupid presumption. I wonder if the same fate would have befallen a non-Jewish reporter. Note that he had an Israeli wife. It is not known at this point whether he was also an Israeli agent as claimed by his captors. In any event he should have known about his extreme risk. In the military you are taught that being out of uniform in hostile territory can get you this kind of treatment. Maybe that's why in WW2 and Korea, reporters wore Army uniforms with special insignia.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Rembrandt has painted the most cogent picture here. There are a few images which capture the horror of a moment, an age, which haunt us the rest of our lives. For those whose courage protect the rest of us now and in the past, there are undoubtedly more private images which dwell on in their minds. This video should be shown. Not once, but a thousand times, until the image is burned into the minds of every American. The targets of the 9-11 atrocities were buildings. This puts a face on the monstrosity of these vermin. Our nation stands for certain principles which are our strength - and at times our vulnerabilities. It is time to show the world exactly why those principles have gone to war, at a gut level which cannot be ignored. And it is time to kindle the same knowledge & fear of our resolve and fury in these vermin that Yamamoto expressed on 12-7-41.
  • 223believer223believer Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really don't get it. This man was going into a dangerous foreign land to try to bring knowledge to the American people. He got killed while doing so. And we're making him out to be an *? Believe it or not, I like to pick up the newspaper and read all about foreign lands and what their people think. It helps me do a better job when I go to the voting booth. By some of the "logic" in this thread, I should be happy if I were to open the newspaper and find nothing but blank pages. And slamming every journalist because of the actions of the few Connie Chungs and Geraldos is like slamming the whole military because of Lt. Calley and his platoon at My Lai.
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    223:It's not the fact the he was killed that grates on me. I regret that and feel for his folks. It's the way the news media are portraying it. What the hell did they expect? Not all of them are going to be attacked but we are going to lose a few cameramen and journalists in our fight to protect out freedoms. So what? It's worth it. Do we hear for weeks on end about some GI who gets whacked? Nope, they become a number. Is that number any less important than a journalist? Nope, because they he won't sell newsprint and that converts to dollars. I don't think we should see this tape on TV. We've seen enough to know what death and destruction looks like by now. Too much and we become callused. And the point about Calley is well taken. Now, let's not make the same mistake about all Muslims or Pakistanis or Afghans or any other group of people. Clouder..
    edited November -1
    It in no way suprises me that you don't have a clue about my nis-grammered statement. those that choose to believe that there are good and bad arabs are free to do so. turn your back on them,sleep with them,for after all you are a somewhat green as evidenced by your many posts. Take notice of this andbe advised I will never respond to anotherpost entered by you, for I know that there ample, members of average intelligence that I can pass and repass with.In that regard you in no way qualify.
  • instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To some who may have misunderstood. I am not trying to say that we should inhibit the freedom of the press. What I am saying is why are they so damn special.I caught a bit of Face the Nation and the Sec. of Defense Donald Rumsfeld was on. It pissed me off to no end that one of the first questions posed was what we are going to do in retaliation for Pearls murder. What in the hell makes him so special.....
    "An army without profanity couldn't fight its way out of a piss soaked paper bag!" -Patton
  • gunboobgunboob Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Out of all these posts,.....I usually don't comment too much, but, "Submariner's" two posts hit me best,...I'm with you.Piss on being politically correct, understanding, forgiving, and aware of these basterds political ("problems"???)I wish I could be a dark, all powerful, avenging, angel-type. Boy,...the crap would fly, and....I better go lay down.Bob
    edited November -1
    WaltAmen & Amen
  • badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This mans murder is another example of the hate that religious maniacs have for everyone.There's only one thing to do with these scum - capture them then kill them and to hell with the bleedin heart socialists if they protest..
    PC=BS