In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gunshot at 10, P.O.ed Beatle and acid.

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
VENICE (Reuters) - John Lennon may not have liked him, but Peter Fonda was there in the Sixties when the Beatles got so high on LSD George Harrison thought he was going to die.And it was Fonda, the cult hero who rode a Harley Davidson across America with Dennis Hopper in the 1969 classic "Easy Rider," who inspired the lyrics to the Beatles song "She Said, She Said.""It was one afternoon in 1965, I remember it clearly," the tall, cowboy-booted Fonda, 62, told Reuters in an interview on Saturday."John and George had already had a dose, but then called me and asked if I wanted to come over, and I thought 'yeah, cool, why not -- it's the Beatles after all'," he recalled, describing how they had gone on to get high."Then, at a certain point, George got really afraid that he was going to die, which unfortunately can be one of the side effects of the drug. So I was trying to console him," said the actor who shot himself accidentally when he was 10 and nearly died."And I was saying, 'Don't worry George, it's okay. I know what it's like to be dead...' "And then Lennon looks over, all pissed off, and says, 'You know what it's like to be dead? Who put all that * in your head? You're making me feel like I've never been born'."And right then, right as he said it, John's eyes went wide and he knew that was the lyric: 'You're making me feel like I've never been born'," Fonda recounted, going on to sing a few lines from the 1966 Abbey Road recording.It was one of those classic 60s creative, drug-fueled moments, even if Lennon was angry."He never liked me. In fact, John hated my *. He couldn't stand to have anyone intelligent or intellectual around him," recalled Fonda, lounging on the terrace of Venice's Excelsior Hotel in jeans, a black biker's jacket and Ray Ban shades.MOTORBIKE MADFonda, whose sister Jane recently separated from husband Ted Turner, is in town for the Venice Film Festival and to promote a new cut of his 1971 western "The Hired Hand," the first movie he starred in and directed after "Easy Rider."The critically acclaimed film did poorly in the United States when it was first released, but did well in Europe."Europe was more intelligent. Americans, all they wanted was to see me riding motorcycles and smoking pot," said Fonda. "They weren't ready for a western."Despite the fact that his career is forever defined by the long-haired, tripping hippie he embodied as Captain America in "Easy Rider," Fonda said it had never bothered him."I still love motorcycles," he said by way of explanation, going on to list a garage-full of Ducati, BMW, Harley-Davidson and Moto Guzzi bikes."I've enjoyed it all."But the aging counter-culture king, who for an entire generation not just represented but lived the free-spirited life 60s America dreamed of, reckons modern-day anti-establishment types have got it all wrong."Anti-globalization people and the like don't know what they're going on about," said the go-your-own-way guy."Forget global, they need to get smart. The first thing we need to save is oxygen, we're not going to have enough of it soon. That's what we really need to worry about -- oxygen and water," he said, going off on his own acid-style riff.

Comments