In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Raising your own Game???

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
I was at the feed store the other day, waiting at the counter, thumbing thru a catalog. Apparnetly the feed store can order, LIVE birds of all sorts, Dove, Teal, Ducks, Geese, Quail, Chickens. Well I got this idea. Why not raise your own game. Buy some birds at the feed store, breed them, raise them nice and fat, then go out behind the farmhouse and let them go. Then run your dogs thru your fields and shoot'em as they fly.Is this legal?

Comments

• Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will want to check state laws first, most regulate game ranching. Don't know all the details, but we have many that raise Elk, Buffalo, Pheasants, and Quail in my state. There are companies that offer different species of Pheasant chicks that can be raised like other poultry. They don't survive long when released in the wild. Texas game ranching is probably the largest of any in this field.
  • Options
    DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kind of sounds like one of those bird clubs or whatever they call them. I agree it would be fun, but I'd think it might become expensive targets; buying the birds, feeding them, etc. Depending on the area you're in, it might be something to look at for a part-time hobby and possibly even turn it into a business (pending whatever laws apply). I guess there's quite a market for that kind of thing in alot of areas. It also gives younger hunters an opportunity to learn good field safety while building their confidence and teaching them about the outdoors in a controlled environment.
  • Options
    ysacresysacres Member Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A farmer buddy of mine raises quail for falconers, and to feed certin types of animals at zoos. Its a big opperation, 30,000 quail a mounth. He also raised pheaseant's for farm hunting, He sell's them for $8.00 apeice. Stupid birds,easy to shoot,and not very winter hardy.
    Ruger-Remington-RULE THE ROOST
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put corn out every night for the deer on my land. I could no more shoot them than my grandchildren. They're my pets. BUT out in the woods....
    So many guns to buy. So little money.