In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Woodshop machine advise.

daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Up until now,I've been content making the mortising by using a drill bit and squaring off with a chisel. However,I have someone who wants two end tables and a coffee table to match and that means cutting out 48 mortises,and by hand; this will take forever. *The tenon is easily cut on the table saw with a jig-fast and accurately.
My question is--- has anyone used one of these mortising machines that use the drill bit with the chisel cutters? This seems to be what I need and will cut my time down 4 times. I have found one for $125.00 and looks to be a good idea.?!

Comments

• daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is an article about them.
    http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker/articles/200008/tooltest/body.htm

Scroll down to the second article on the next link and see how you "can" use a drill press.
    http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/archive/60/qanda.cfm

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use to use one when I worked in a furniture store they are great as long as you keep them sharp and don't skimp when you buy one pay the money and get the good steel. I wouldn't buy the machine if you have a good drill press that is all you need.

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    I use mortising bits in my drill press with a grizzly jig - same thing only not a dedicated machine. I have been to the Grizzly store here in Bellingham WA and looked at them. They are more accurate than my old drill press but not by much. If you have a press I would go with the jig, If you have the room and the money go for it. I also used to use my router which can almost be as fast once you set up a jig for it.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one rhat attaches to my drill press. works good

<P> To each his own
    Craig Brosius
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Delta sells a attachment for drill presses, the $125.00 machines do work,
    EG: Harbor freight
    quality depends on the plant in China that put it together.
    Delta is made in Taiwan, Jet can be either Taiwan or China.
    We stock one from China [:(] I can say we get very few problems from them.
    Don

eng.JPG
    Welcome to America...Now speak English.
    ````````````````````````
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    If you have a plunge router I would spend the time working up a jig to use. It would have rounded corners to fit the tenon, but all you have to do is round the tenon side edge off at same radius with a round over bit. We had a high rpm drill bit made for drilling holes like that once to do hundreds of holes ,in handrails for baluster placement. a router table if you have one would be a quick set up

"Respect your Tools"
    "Freedom is not Free"