In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reason For Taped Joints

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in General Discussion
1st the reason i made all my electricians tape wire nuts is because i was a contractor for Cummins.

Our company was charged 1348 dollars a minute for every minute that we caused down time.

I had a rule no joints to anything that could cause down time. The only thing that could have a joint in it was vending machines and fans.

I had someone install a receptacle that went to a computer that ran a machine and they just went in and tapped into the first 110 junction box.

Well some one was using a core drill to regular power and tripped out a breaker and the line went down.

I know which breaker panels are for building use and which panels are for machine use.

I go to the box that it was labeled too and took off the cover panel to the breakers. None were tripped so i took a volt meter to each breaker to make sure that it was not really tripped. When they trip most of the time you will see a red line on the breaker sometime you dont.

So now i go to where the problem is and follow the conduit to see where it went. About 200 feet away it goes to a junction box i run get a lift so i can open the box.

When i open it up 2 or 3 stands of a hot wire (THHN) touched the box and kicked the breaker. It cost the company that i worked for over 50,000 dollars.

That is why every wire nut is taped from the wire to the nut.

It is my fault they said because i was the leed electrician and should have never let it happen. I had to have a meeting with the plant manager of Cummins, my manager and my companys plant manager to explain how this would never happen again.

I was a decent laid back boss. If i bid a job for weekend work 16 hours 8 hours for 2 people and you work hard and finish in 5 you could kick back for the next 3 hours or go help someone else or go home.
I did not care.

Well a lazy Irishman took a short cut and messed around for 5 hours and screwed me. My boss fired the guy for messing up. After that before anyone could go home i had to inspect every ones work and either fix it myself or make them.

Thats why wire nuts are tapped where i worked. A little tabe would have saved over 50,000 dollars.

Now if i had to make a joint in wire for a machine i would use wire lugs and tape them to death or use heat shrink and then tape.

Mistakes where i worked sometimes was very expensive.

Comments

• Options
    wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll have to agree that the tape over the wire nut can prevent down time, it can also prevent someone from getting shocked when opening junction boxes.

Do you leave a "courtesy tail"?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dav1965,

quote:Well a lazy Irishman...

What does this have to do with anything related to the story?

Best.
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do but most do not
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    dav1965,

quote:Well a lazy Irishman...

What does this have to do with anything related to the story?

Best.

Because if he said who it really was he wouldn't be politically incorrect. Those damn Irish and Swedes are the only ones left that people can make fun of and you're not considered racist for doing it.
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    I had a deep freeze in my basement back in the 70s. Its outlet was wired to a ceiling junction box with wire nuts. I had a waterbed up stairs and over one bedroom from it, the bed had a vibration gizmo attached to it. We lost about 250 pounds of Beef/ Deer because the wire nuts vibrated loose
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sawz
    I had a deep freeze in my basement back in the 70s. Its outlet was wired to a ceiling junction box with wire nuts. I had a waterbed up stairs and over one bedroom from it, the bed had a vibration gizmo attached to it. We lost about 250 pounds of Beef/ Deer because the wire nuts vibrated loose

A vibrating waterbed in the 70's do tell.... [8D]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wow that's a lot of wave action [:D][:D][;)][:0][:0]
    we had a waterbed back in the day but did not shake the house apart must have been doing something wrong

as for the tape I never seen it done ( even when I worked construction but that was 25 + years ago ) until lately had a local fellow help me with some work he taped all the wire nuts I did not ask just thought it was a good idea so all I have done since and currently doing I tape them not that big of a issue on time / cost and seems to be a sound theory

• Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    Well there was that occasional Rogue Wave

quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

A vibrating waterbed in the 70's do tell.... [8D]