In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

VW Turbo STB.... 300 Miles

MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
Blew the turbo bearing and seals.... replaced with new turbo.

300 miles later, wiped out again.

Turbo will suck 2 quarts of motor oil in about 2 miles of driving, so I'm guessing it's not an oil supply problem.

1999 TDi. Ideas??????????? (Besides 20 pounds of Tannerite)

Comments

• Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Did you pre lube the replacement turbo? A dry start kills them quick. Any chance the drain is plugged with coke and its not getting sufficient flow?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A J Christ
    Did you pre lube the replacement turbo? A dry start kills them quick. Any chance the drain is plugged with coke and its not getting sufficient flow?

No, did no prelube it! Drain line seemed clear..
  • Options
    BLKSRT8BLKSRT8 Member Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My best friend back in 87 bought a new 1987 Buick Grand National. In months the turbo was shot. When he bought it they told him that after running the car hard let it idle for about a minute after putting in park to let oil flow thru the turbo. He never did that when bought. I am sure after all these years they came up with a better way. Way back in 87 it was considered fast as hell, [:D]

MIKE
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BLKSRT8
    My best friend back in 87 bought a new 1987 Buick Grand National. In months the turbo was shot. When he bought it they told him that after running the car hard let it idle for about a minute after putting in park to let oil flow thru the turbo. He never did that when bought. I am sure after all these years they came up with a better way. Way back in 87 it was considered fast as hell, [:D]

MIKE
    Those Grand Nationals were wicked.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does it have a waste gate?
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are things called Turbo Timers....
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    Does it have a waste gate?

No, Capt'n, no wastegate.

I did crank the engine until it built oil pressure before starting for the 1st time, though.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was performance off noticeably in the 300 miles? With TDI, you can really feel when the turbo(s) (2 in mine) kick in and if they are off it should be really noticeable.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Really, no. When the 1st turbo puked I did notice that the lack of boost neutered the power.

With this 2nd one, it just kinda started pouring blue smoke and lost power at same time.

I'm frustrated. It's a PIA to change, no to mention the cost of parts.
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    You have mail. Give me a holler.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Check this out lots of good hints.

Main Killer of the older turbos is shutting down too soon after coming to a stop. It takes a while for that turbo to slow down.
  • Options
    legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    I loved the grand nats, GMC/Chevy cyclone/typhoon, a trans an or firebird had the same engine also I think.
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tdiclub.com

Great site for TDI owners, lots of repair tips, pics and videos.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

Main Killer of the older turbos is shutting down too soon after coming to a stop. It takes a while for that turbo to slow down.

Bearings get VERY hot in Turbos. If you don't have an oil cooler, I'd recommend one immediately, giving you extra capacity is also a plus.

After driving hard, give a couple minutes of cruising at 30-40mph in top gear. Also, idle a couple minutes before shutting down.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cubslover G16
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

Bearings get VERY hot in Turbos. If you don't have an oil cooler, I'd recommend one immediately, giving you extra capacity is also a plus.

After driving hard, give a couple minutes of cruising at 30-40mph in top gear. Also, idle a couple minutes before shutting down.

this