In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How many have a portable CB in there car

walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
edited September 2011 in General Discussion
I was in a traffic jam for 4 hours a week ago

I got to the far right thinking I could get off the next exit and get around the accident.

But the accident was just before the exit on the right side

Now no one would leave me get over to the left side which was moving a little faster.

If I would have had some kind of CB I could of called 1 of the truckers to find out what side to stay in.

Now I'm rigging something up to keep in the car.

I don't want to drill any holes in my new car and I don't want any thing that takes batteries.

I'm not going out to buy a walkie-talkie that will take a dc car plug which is what I'm looking to construct.

I have a lot of flea market junk and I will try to rig something up

Comments

• Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    10/4 good buddy! [;)]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it 1978 again?
  • Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    Do you have a smart phone? There is an app for that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jev1969

I have a cell phone?
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it was the dark of the moon
    on the 6th of june
    in a kenworth pullin logs
    cabover pete with a reefer on
    and a jimmy haulin hogs
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wallie

I don't want to drill any holes in my new car and I don't want any thing that takes batteries.

I'm not going out to buy a walkie-talkie that will take a dc car plug which is what I'm looking to construct.

They do not make a hand cranked Walkie Talkie with CB frequencies. You can get them with GMRS/FRS channels tho like the Midland XT511.

Not wanting something that runs on batteries or plugs into your cars 12 Aux outlet. I think that you are out of luck for I do not think that they make a DC magnet mounted wind generator with enough power to run a CB type radio. It would not work any way for as soon as you get stuck in traffic the wind speed goes to 0 and the temps raise about 20 to 25 degrees.
  • Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wallie
    quote:Originally posted by jev1969

I have a cell phone?

Does it have the ability to download apps like an iphone or a droid? My sister inlaw has an app that lets her talk on the CB frequencies through her phone.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell I still have 5-6 of them floating around here. Takes about 5 minutes to throw one in a car with a magnet mount antenna.
  • Options
    Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    Got rid of mine, it gets me in trouble. When a trucker exhibits lane rudeness, I respond with CB rudeness...and I do rudeness better than most truckers. [:D]
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I found one, it's a Yosan jc-1103n walkie-talkie with 200 channels

It takes 10 AA batteries

My records show I bought this at the Green Dragon for $5.00 in 1968 or 88 (dirty paper) and knew it did not work.

Who ever put in the extra channels messed it up

I got it working and making a car plug for it now.
  • Options
    Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    on the 6th of june
    and a jimmy haulin hogs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwaygKjs2fI
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have one in my truck along with a scanner
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a CB in my pickup...things friggin awesome for situations like that![:D]
  • Options
    76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still have several mobile CB's around, and one portable/hand held cobra 45wx. Magnetic antenna still on my truck, but I don't currently have a CB radio installed. Haven't used my radios much since I quit coyote hunting.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:How many have a portable CB in there car

I used to, but I sold my NASCAR Pinto to SelectFire...
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    on the 6th of june
    and a jimmy haulin hogs
    ....heck yes.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Thirteen long haired friends of Jesus in a Volkswagen Micro-Bus.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    Hell I still have 5-6 of them floating around here. Takes about 5 minutes to throw one in a car with a magnet mount antenna.

+1

<like>
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Cobra 29LTD Chrome in my truck. I use a 4ft SS whip and a 5" magnetic base. No holes and it can be taken off and stored behind the seat.

I use it for coyote hunting more than anything else. We get at least 4 trucks to section off a square mile. We just drive around in the mornings around farms we can hunt and look for coyotes. If we find them we radio in the location. Everyone gets set up one mile apart and when the first shot is fired,if they miss, we have all directions covered.

The FM radios have been so popular in the last few years, seams like everyone has them and good luck finding a channel.
  • Options
    hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sav99
    Is it 1978 again?

They were around alittle later then that. I was born in 78 and still had one in my truck all through high school.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    I have a Cobra 29LTD Chrome in my truck. I use a 4ft SS whip and a 5" magnetic base. No holes and it can be taken off and stored behind the seat.

I use it for coyote hunting more than anything else. We get at least 4 trucks to section off a square mile. We just drive around in the mornings around farms we can hunt and look for coyotes. If we find them we radio in the location. Everyone gets set up one mile apart and when the first shot is fired,if they miss, we have all directions covered.

The FM radios have been so popular in the last few years, seams like everyone has them and good luck finding a channel.

Pretty much how coyote is hunted around here, or rather used to be. Used Walker hounds to run the coyotes if the shooter wasn't successful, or if we didn't spot one and decided to hunt a particular block. I miss coyote hunting.[V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 76k20

Pretty much how coyote is hunted around here, or rather used to be. Used Walker hounds to run the coyotes if the shooter wasn't successful, or if we didn't spot one and decided to hunt a particular block. I miss coyote hunting.[V]

you do know that they have hand helds with over 30 mile radious now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hk-91

Turn the 'kicker' on and 30 miles is nothing[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hk-91

Turn the 'kicker' on and 30 miles is nothing[:)]

Ya but can you pack yours in your front shirt pocket.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:you do know that they have hand helds with over 30 mile radious now.

If your talking about GMRS/FRS handhelds you getting smoke blown up your behind.

At 50 watts on my mobile GMRS I am lucky to hit a repeater at 35 miles.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yep, photo on the way
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just got it done about 1hr ago an took it out for a test run

4" long 2&?" wide with 200 cannels

Was out talking to the truckers and with the rubber ducky antenna I could get a good mile which is good enough for me

cb.jpg
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wallie- Evil black Export radios shame on you-[:D][:o)]
  • Options
    grizgriz Member Posts: 425 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On 75 or 85 or I-20 'tother way,
    Turn the squelch to the right
    And in the night, You'll hear some good buddy say.......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh66kDox4R0
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    yes its called a radio, I tune it into one of about 4 FM stations that give a traffic report every ten minutes and tells all about jams and lanes and best routes to use