In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

OK guys, I think I have a problem......

guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
First off, I noticed 5 of my farm cats are missing, these cats were raised here on the farm and don't wander much. This morning, I have my old mare with some bite marks on her back legs. The bites on her legs are about 14" from the ground. The bites are on both sides (front and back). Also, above the bites, it appears there are scratches in her hair that took off hair but did not tear the hide. I have never had this problem here before, and this mare has been in the same pasture for 9 years. Something ain't right, what should I be looking for?

Comments

• 7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with saxon, big kitty cat or yote'sI cant wait to hear what judge says about this.(sigh)
    when all else fails........................
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Get you a coyote howler and step out on your back porch right at nautical twilight (sun down with light left) and give a howl about every 8 minutes. That out to spark a "howl back" response from any coyote. If you are in So Cal. are give me a holler and we'll make fertilizer out of them before you lose any more of your beloved critters.
    Eat healthy, exercise, avoid smoking........Die anyway. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have had 'yotes right up to the house before, but have never had them attack a horse. Western Iowa, between Omaha and Souix City.
  • oneshyoneshy Member Posts: 417
    edited November -1
    Has a family of Vietnamese moved into the area? Can't find a stray dog in the neighborhood since they moved in here.
    edited November -1
    Wonder if they would eat 'yotes? Might be missing a market here! Hum........
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like coyotes, know they eat puss.On second thought the marks above the bites could be from a big cats' claws where he dug in while biting the cow.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am betting dogs.cpermd
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    errata- delete cow add mare
  • pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SOUNDS LIKE A LARGE FELINE TO ME.
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The dog family attacks the hind quarters to hamstring its victims. If you know a trapper in your area, give him a shout. Coyotes are tough to trap if you've never done it before. If it's wild dogs, you got a peck of trouble. Some may be dogs who got lost and joined the pack. May have collars on. I don't know the law there. You could buy some coyote urine from a trapping supply house if the calling doesn't work, and dump half an ounce or so within sight of your shooting area. The "natives" will investigate, considering it an invasion of their territory. They won't go right up to it at first, just circle around. May get some shots that way. Trap preparation is key if you try to trap them, sounds like you don't have time now. You have to boil, dye and wax your traps, if a coyote smells human scent on a trap, or oil, he will NOT step in it. A dog will.
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could it be the rumored..."Iowa Mountain Lions"? The kids sighted one down near Winterset and found about a half dozen coyote carcasses....
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Anyone ever think of looking for tracks???
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Tracks - like Super Swamper or Wild Country's.
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
    edited November -1
    I thought about the mountain lion deal, I don't think that is the answer. I'm leaning towards the coyotes. Anybody want to come and call em in? I have 160 acres to work with.
    edited November -1
    Boggers make a very distinctive track
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rembrandt beat me to the punch again! Hey, I heard a rumor that there are some giant prairie dogs that some artist is using for a model while he sculpts those dang things for display in Sewer City. Maybe it was a ware-gopher or something. In all seriousness though, I'd be happy to bring my new rifle down and help you thin out the 'yotes. You're not that far from where I live...within an hour I 'spect.idsman75@peoplepc.com[This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 12-30-2001).]
  • varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mt Lions kill by breaking the neck,are sfficting the animal by crushing the wind pipe.Coyotes kill by disembowlment,after hamstringing.What you have is the neighberhood fidos and fideses that are having fun at night,Exspecialy on a full moon.You probley just had a cold snap there.They are not wild dogs,Just the local gang having there version of fun.Have gone on about 30 of thse kind of complants,And it is always the local,Lovables as we call them.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
    edited November -1
    YEs indeed we've had a recent cold snap. Brr.
  • OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the sounds of it, it must be dogs, or possibly wolves, I have never seen a coyote try to attack anything bigger than a deer, and if it did you should be able to at least find one dead, from where the horse kicked it, I lost my roping horse to a pack of dogs, ran him into a fence, had the same type marks on the rear legs and around the nose area
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com www.texdeer.com www.Orphanedcowboy.com
    edited November -1
    There is one good cure for fido and fifi when they do that. Question is do you tell the owners? In pennsylvania it is legal to put poochie down when it attacks or runs deer, not sure about farm animals. Your state may have similar laws but I for one would not tolerate that one bit from nieghborhood muts!
    when all else fails........................
  • loan sharkloan shark Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a recent bobcat problem we had outside of town at a fellow employees ranch. That would be my bet.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can't find your cats laying around pretty close dead then it isn't dogs. Dogs will kill them for the heck of it and leave them, yotes will take them with them to eat.
  • 44.Special44.Special Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    check the area for tracks.
    edited November -1
    There's plenty of bobcat signs in Thurston County, NE which isn't far.
  • Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Instructions are as follows-1.Heeeeeeere kittykittykitty!2.BANG3.Repeat as needed.
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mountain lion? nope... they go for the neck in mares for the Nuts in horses ,cats are hard to get by any animals (even coyotes) scratches and bites in a mare but no RUCUS ornoise in the night ...look for a Chupacabras"Goat Sucker" and check your mare red blood count and for blood Infection .
    Ignis Natura Renovatur Integram
  • AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you should check Dread for mud on his boots and flesh under his fingernails.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
    edited November -1
    OK, Judge now I'm really confused.... never mind, I don't want to know.
    edited November -1
    Ah yes. The chupacabra. I didn't even consider that. Wow...thanks JD.
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Dread's post got me thinkin'.....It was probably the CIA conspiring with the Sectoid Grays to implant bio-tracker devices in your horse so that the next time you ride her, they can target their super-secret outer space Gamma-ray laser down on you and blast ya!Thanks Dread! I never woulda thought of it without you.
    edited November -1
    Damn,,, I thought I had my transportation problem solved for when they gamma zap all the cars and trucks. How big of a tin foil lid for a horse? Could I wrap her in alumnium siding?
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THE DREADGE REPORT!!!!!Where else can you get that kind of information for free??
    " Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects" Will Rogers
    standard.jpg
  • PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like it could be dogs. A woman from the town of Peterson in NW IA told me that coyotes have been breeding with area farm dogs, resulting in a hybrid that doesn't easily scare off like a regular 'yote. I haven't seen one yet, but hope to get a little hunting in soon. As for shooting farm "pets", I had a problem a few years ago with a neighbors' dogs coming onto my place and my dog would fight them off. When I asked the sherriff's deputy what I could do about it, he simply asked my if I had a gun Sometimes living in Iowa isn't so bad after all..........
    Politicians, like diapers, should be changed often and for the same reason.