In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ithaca's "Homeland Security Model 37"

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
Okay, here's a question for any of you FFL's out there or anyone that is an Ithaca lover like myself. Does anyone have an opinion, good or bad, on Ithaca's new Homeland Security Model 37? Does anyone have one in stock? If so, is this something that you would consider for home defense if you were looking for a pump-action 12-gauge shotgun? My current home defense piece is a Mossberg 835 with light target loads. Any comments are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ithaca's are nice, but I'm a Remington and Benelli man.I'd go with the Remington Home Defense instead. Anyone who puts "Homeland Security" on one of their firearms is an opportunist looking for a new sales gimmic.
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Evil- As the Beachmaster is fond of saying-"X-Ring"!!!!!!!As far as personal selection- the Mossy 500 & 590 series is a no-lose catagory for the money- you can typically find them for around $200.00 at any dealer, in a wide variety of configurations.My personal home defense long gun varies, currently it is a .30 Carbine, but I live out in the country.
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!![This message has been edited by Matt45 (edited 12-29-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm perfectly happy with my Mossy 835. I was just curious about the Ithaca.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At one time, if you held down the trigger on an Ithaca 37, it would not only fire the round in the chamber, but continue to fire each time you pumped it. Did they ever change that "feature"?
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not think the new Ithacas do that. I have one from 1967, and the gun is capable of this quasi semi auto feature. I think they stopped doing this after serial number 855000, but I could be wrong.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thought that was a feature of the older Winchester 1897
  • Options
    PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know the older Win Mod 12's do that As far as "security" goes, wouldn't that word be more better suited on a Remington or Winchester or Browning? Ithaca indeed!
    Politicians, like diapers, should be changed often and for the same reason.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey PUP- You want to go and believe the your Remingtons and Winchester are a cut above Ithacas, go right ahead. It leaves more REAL shotguns for those of us who know a superior shotgun when we use one(LOL)
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I have Ithaca HD 37 shotguns. Steel receiver, not aluminum. Walnut, not walnut finished hardwood. No plastic parts. The big plus of the Ithaca 37 is the bottom ejection, I've sold a wad of them to left-handed folks.Definitely more expensive than the Mossberg, Winchester 1300 or Remington Express, though, and I am not a big fan of the marketing approach.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not a big fan of the marketing approach either but I fell in love with the Ithaca after I went on my first hunting trip with an old college buddy of mine. It was such a simple yet beautiful thing. My dad was considering one for his first shotgun until we went to Cabela's and he handled a Ruger Red Label. I got my Ithaca for a real steal.
  • Options
    PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmmmm....tried my hand at a little pot-stirring and barely got anywhere Seems like I've much to learn from Dano.