In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Losing Control at Handgun Control?

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Losing Control at Handgun Control? While one airliner after another slashes their payrolls, the best-known anti-gun lobby in Washington laid off 14 people Tuesday.Officials at the Brady Campaign, formerly known as Handgun Control, confirmed to HOH yesterday that they cut nearly 20 percent of their staff this week. "It's a difficult time around here," said spokesman Brendan Daly. "Like a lot of other nonprofit organizations, we've been hit by the downturn in the economy."Daly said the group has also been affected by the terrorism in America, which has led to overflow contributions to relief efforts. "The terrorist attacks have rightly focused people on helping the victims, but that has a direct impact on our fundraising." The fact that gun control has not been at the top of the Congressional agenda has also not helped the group founded by Jim and Sarah Brady after Mr. Brady nearly died from a gunshot wound during the 1981 assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan. Among their triumphs was getting the Brady bill signed into law, which resulted in a five-day waiting period on handgun purchases."They've known some of these people for a very long time," Daly said of the couple. "But I think they're holding up." http://www.rollcall.com/pages/columns/hoh/

Comments

• Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Things are tough all over.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They just don't want to admit their loosing... Ever since the terroist attack, people are relizing that guns aren't threat, but rather a tool they can use to protect themselves. And everyone knows that since those planes were taken with knives, guns aren't as much as a threat as former believe, but if someone on those planes would have had a gun, things maybe would have been a little different.God bless America...
  • Options
    Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It also doesn't help them that the Democrats have officially announced that they lost the last presidential election because of their collective anti-gun views. I hope they file bankruptcy and then they each get mugged and killed on the way out of the building. Harsh, but they're trying to make us subjects, not citizens. Think about that before any of you flame me.
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Evil ATF, that's a terrible thing to say! Terrible! But only because you didn't add "and raped".
    I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.--Voltare
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Evil and 250,Let's control the anger--while some working to ban the private ownership of firearms are doing so with the goal to create a totalitarian government in this country, many are involved in the movement because...well to put it nicely..."they have not thought the issue through". (To put it not nicely: They're stupid!)Pro-gun people need to take the "high moral ground".Case in point: (I heard this on the Neil Bortz program) During one of the "Million (ha-ha) Mom Marches", there were pro-gun counter-protestors present. One of the anti-gun women went up to a pro-gun woman who had a picture of a handgun on her T-shirt. The anit-gun woman said, while pointing to the gun on this woman's shirt, "I hope you get killed by one of those." To which the pro-gun woman replied calmly, "And I hope that you don't."I own firearms because I detest violence and those who initiate it, and I recognize that the only practical way to stop violent people is with violence direct back against them. I do not spend my time "wishing" harm to befall others (I'm too busy enjoying my life!); and would encourage other pro-firearm rights people to avoid any attitude of hostility toward "our enemies". Be aware of the dangerous people, be ready to deal with them if they initiate violence, but do not enter their downward spiral world of hate.It drives them crazy when you're happy!
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Competentone, I appreciate the thought, and you are correct in what you say. As Jeff Cooper says, "the correct response to violence is to offer it back to the perpetrator, suitably augmented by the respondant's skill", or words to that effect. That being said, I have had more than my fair share of dealings with these "room temperature IQ's" in my years of doing 2nd Amendment trench warfare here in Kalifornia, and my patience sometimes wears thin. This is a site where we can come to vent, and this is what I do instead of grabbing these * sphincters by the neck and shaking them violently until dead. Again, I appreciate the thought, and I don't wish harm on anyone (well, maybe bin Lardin and Bill Clinton, not necessarily in that order), but if I couldn't say these things, I would DO these things!!!
    I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.--Voltare
  • Options
    XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope it gets so bad for them they have to let the other 80% of their staff go. After the Sept. 11th. attack I think it will be harder for any new gun legislation to get passed."UNITED WE STAND"
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .250Savage,I hear you and understand C-O-M-P-L-E-T-E-L-Y!Joe
  • Options
    PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    250....I was thinking about the ability to grab an * sphincter "by the neck", but then I realized most of them DO have their heads stuck up their butt