In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bad day at the range..

concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Took my S&W .357 revolver to the range this weekend to sight in my new Leupold-Gilmore (LG-35) red dot sight. Shot 97 rounds of factory .357 ammunition when the front lens cracked right down the middle. I'm certain the weaver base was mounted correctly and did not move. I also don't think I over-tightened the rings, I took extra care to just hand-tighten them and I then used clear nail polish to lock the threads. I didn't knock the scope on the bench and it was lined with a shock absorbing material anyway. And, I transported the gun in a foam-lined case. I just don't know what happened?This really bums me out, I have been "building" this revolver for several months getting it just the way I want it. I guess I'll send it back to the manufacturer, I just hope they replace it for free!!
Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals

Comments

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow. I always said a bad day at the range is better than a good day at the office. I was thinking about a Leupod-Gilmore for my .357. Now I'm wondering if they are any good. What does the peanut gallery here recommend as the best scope for target/hunting applications on a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel?
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    concealedg36, allow me to improve your day. I would be willing to bet that, you, as an experienced gun owner and scope mounter, tightened the upright rings on that scope until the gap at the top was gone or almost closed. CORRECT? The LG series scopes must be tightened at the bottom and have a slight gap left at the top. The pressure applied by the factory rings will cause the cracking of the lens under heavy recoil. I did it with 50AE in 20rnds. Call leupold and tell them it just cracked, don't tell em you didn't see it in the manual, and they will fix it for free. However, expect the speech on how to leave the gap at the top ring. I havn't cracked it again since I mounted it this way.
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks JustC. Well, I did leave a gap at the top of the ring. BUT, I also tightened both the top and bottom incrementally. Looks like I should tighten the bottom firmly first, then go to the top. Thanks for the advice.By the way, right before the front lens cracked I was getting a 1" group at 20 yards from the bench. Not too bad seeing as how this was the first time I'd ever shot this gun!G36
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'll take that all day long. Good shootin. I have left a fair sized gap at the top, and am interested in seeing if it stays sighted over time, the 50AE tends to put some stresses on things. HEHEHEOnly time and range trips will tell, damn that gets expensive.
  • Options
    PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    idsman....I think dollar for dollar you can't go wrong with a Millett red dot. They come in both 1" and 30mm tubes. I've got two, one on a target .22 and the other on my Ruger 44. If I remember right the retail on them's about $140-150. I got mine from my dealer for $95 although he's not much for markup in the first place. Of the other guys I know that have them I've never heard one complaint.
    Politicians, like diapers, should be changed often and for the same reason.