In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My little dog is getting old.

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Got home early today. My 16 year old Min-Pin was sitting in the chair.

He hasn't been eating much lately and is moving slow these days. He usually runs to the door and waits for me as soon as he hears the garage door opener.

Today, he just layed in the chair, head down looking sad. I took him to the vet immediatly.

They called and I picked him up this evening. The doc said, "He's just getting very old. He doesn't have much longer."

I asked the vet if I needed to put him down. He said, "No, not yet. He's old, but he's healthy, doesn't seem to be in any pain, and as long as he's still getting around, just enjoy the time you have left with him."

Man, I love this little critter more than you can imagine. I can't stand the thought of him not being here to greet me when I come home. Tonight, he and I are going to eat a steak. I might even let him sleep in the bed with me.

Dogs! They get to you!

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif

Comments

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be careful of his stomach when you feed him all that steak. I've found I do my dog no favors when I load her up on unusual food, despite my good intentions. I'm sorry to hear about that, and of course you could move the chair or a bed closer to the door or make other changes to make his daily routine easier now. I agree about pampering your buddy now. That's the kind of news we can all do without hearing.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    It's just not fair that their lives are so short compared to ours.
    Every death leads us to a new puppy and new smiles,
    but the hurt just never leaves with some of them.

I've loved all my dogs, some just a tad more than others,
    but it would still be hard to pick one over any other.

Some won't understand Danny, but a lot of us do.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That has got to be the hardest part of having Cats & Dogs, one of your best friends only for a short (comparative) time. Enjoy while ya can. [:)] Lots of pics and memories. My folks had there dog cremated
    and is keeped in very nice rosewood box with his picture on it, on the fireplace mantle.

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear about your buddy. Hope you still have a few good years together. I have a bulldog and a couple of cats I'm sure gonna miss when they go.
  • jack85jack85 Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And some say that grown man don't cry............................
    Let me tell you my story in hope that it'll make you feel better.
    My old friend of over 14 years was getting old and sick.
    Them German Shapards get to you, I'll tell you that.
    Sweet and intelligent dogs they are. One morning I took my dog to the vet because he was in pain all night long.
    Vet told me that he had some kind of lump in his belly as well as arthritis. He told me to leave the dog here and he'll take care of him.
    Then I saw big roll of plastic garbage bags in the corner of his office. I picked up my dog, said thank you for your help and walked out
    of vets office. Same morning I was in my truck going west, together with my dog, just like we normally do every weekend.
    We went to the same spot in the woods where we've spend so much time together during our weekly excursions. He couldn't walk much, so I carried him half way
    to the creek. I drank water from the creek like I normally do, he drank some too. Then we sat down, his head on my lap. Bunch of little creatures hopping around
    us, I'm looking at my dog and I see no reaction. He'd be on his four, ears straight up, tail down just like I've taught him. But not this time. I knew that I had to
    say good-bye to my old friend. He'd open his eyes from time to time, looked up at me.............and I tell you them animals have a strange way to tell you about their
    feelings although they can't say a word. He didn't say much about his condition nor try to tell me that he needed some more pain killers. What he was trying to tell
    me was, I am so sorry that I let you down boss. That's what he was telling me guys. So we sat there for six more hours or so, finally I've pulled out
    my 357, dig the hole in the ground not to far from that creek and said good-bye to my old friend.
    Now I have two dogs, sweet little creatures, I love 'em so much. Life is good. It's been a few years ever since I've lost my old friend but I am still thinking about
    him every day. God forgive me.
    God bless The Republic.
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    dheffley im so sorry to hear this i will pray for you and your dog.it's really hard.i dont know what really to say but spend as much time you can with your pup,i'm reallly sorry.

quinn

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    They surely do. I had a rottweiler for 12 years and some years back on Christmas morning found her dead. She had died in her sleep. One sad Christmas.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doc had good advice, enjoy him while you can.
    They are members of the family, just shorter, and don't ask for money.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Dog's Prayer
    By Beth Norman

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest - and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Heff Sorry to hear this!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jack85, did you really have to end his life in such a violent traumatic manner? I know a bullet to the head is supposed to be instantaneous, but there are other ways. You could have had your vet come out to that spot and administer the euthanasia while your dog lay there and relaxed. I just know that I could never put a gun to my old dog's head and shoot him.

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quote: And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest - and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

That is the least we can do for our faithful old dogs.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two old dogs now, my 13 year old Springer Spaniel that I have had since he was two months old and a little cocker spaniel that I just adopted from the local shelter, she is 10. My Springer has been my constant companion and has traveled all over the country with me. I can't rememebr a time when I didn't look in my rear view mirror and see his happy face in the back, enjoying the drive. People that don't have a dog don't understand the bond that is formed. I was dating a woman a few years ago who did not like dogs, she gave me the ultimatum, either she goes or the dog goes...well she is gone!
    I dread the day that I will have to make the decision on euthanasia, but for now, I make the best of every day and enjoy the enthusiasm the two dogs still show for walks, rides in the car, squirrel chasing and barking at air molecules.

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've already made up my mind about two things. One, unless my dog is in pain I will not assume she is "suffering;" she will have a place in my home as I hope there is a place for me until I'm ready. And if she ever needs help at the end, it will be sleep with a syringe, even though I am a gun owner.

Don't rush it. Let the dog age as we all do and don't worry about "suffering" when there is only a slower step. They go too soon as it is.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Oscar (the min-pin), Red (his son), Sandy (Mrs. dheffley) and I all ate our steaks tonight. Oscar is very tired, and his son (Red) has been pestering him all night. Guess I'll take him upstairs for the night. I hope he feels better tomorrow and will greet me at the door. We'll see.

• bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sad to hear about your pet. They become like family and it hurts just as much when they leave us. We had 2 cats for 18 1/2 years. Oscar was black as coal, was my lap cat, and was a diabetic for the last 4 1/2 years. Gave him his insulin shot every morning but it finally started getting the better of him. Felix was a little female who ruled him and began losing control of herself. We had to have them put to sleep, both at the same time. They were like soulmates. While they are around, take some videos of them. I sill like to look at them rolling around in the catnip in the patio garden. Peace.
  • maboogermabooger Member Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Danny- Sorry to here about your buddy.
    It's not easy we had to bury
    my 15 year old dog awhile back. Stood there thinking while I was digging that god awful hole that I'd had her longer than my 2 youngest children.
    She was the same towards the end ,, no strength, had to help her stand up , etc. It was about 2 years before she died we had taken her to the vet & her arthritis was getting bad ,, he told us about a new shot , experimental, that they were trying. We decided to give it to her & within a week she was able to jump up on the couch again & she actually ran to the car to meet me again. I would imagine if we had caught her earlier it may have kept her mobile longer.

Your in my thoughts & prayers!
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    He's doing better today. Not normal, but as good as you can expect for a 16 year old dog. He ate a good portion of steak last night, and ate some of the left over staek at lunch today. He's been following me around all day, and when I got back from the doctor this morning, there he was at the door, waiting as usual with that little nub-tail about to wag off! When I sat down, he jumped up in my lap and loved on me for about 10 minutes. Then he laid down and went to sleep. Later today he and I are going out to my land so he can walk/run or just smell the odors in the air. What ever he wants, he gets![:D]